ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alienware MX14

MY10 R35 GTR
Had this for nearly two years and feel its time to upgrade some internals.

recently fitted a new HDD.

Whats the best way, if there is any to upgrade ram and cooling? Or am I wasting my time?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Just put a 660 graphics card in one of these. Made a good bit of difference to the gaming side of things.

If you have only fitted a normal HDD I would be sacking the optical drive off, buying the adapter off ebay and putting an SSD in its place for the OS. That would increase things massively.

Should take 8gb of ram I think, they have 4gb standard don't they?

MY10 R35 GTR
Hmmm ok.

The standard HD failed in march and was reached under warranty. The replacement on failed last week!! So I given it a full clean out an a new HD, finished re installing everything last night. Running better now than it ever did!!

getting rid of the optical drive is a good plan. It's got 6GB ram in it currently

Nissan 350z
Fitting an SDD is pound for pound the best performance upgrade you can do. Get on crucial and use their system scan and pickup 2x 4GB sticks of RAM. Other than that unfortunately your bottlenecks will be CPU and GPU, neither of which are cheap to upgrade (if at all possible). So dont spend anymore money and start saving for a replacement laptop.

As for cooling, other than buying a "notebook cooler" to sit your laptop on there isnt really anything you can do other than potentially replace the thermal paste if you are fairly technical and comfortable opening the back of your laptop up and removing heat pipes etc.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
You can upgrade both cpu and gpu. I have just changed a gpu for a 660 card. Its not as straight forward as a normal computer but in terms of fitting it, it was pretty simple. The drivers are the hardest part as you have to modify the ini files to tell the drivers what card you are actually running otherwise they will never install correctly.

Card cost approx £120 from ebay which was quite a bargain. But thats not really going to be worth unless you are hammering games on it?

I would 100% recommend buying the optical drive caddy to change it so you can run another hdd and buy a nice 500+ read/write ssd. That will make a huge difference.

MY10 R35 GTR
Think it needs some new thermal pâste.

seeing a max temp of 86C on the intel i5

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
tbf the cooling on them is awful, but what can you expect when its all compact inside that tiny space. I wouldn't expect to drop much cooler even with new paste.