ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air flow for wheels/brakes

Guys,

I’m having issues with heat through the brakes/ tyres and wheels.

I have melted 2 spigot rings and 3 center caps i have now taken out the inner arches and it still holds a lot of heat, thinking of taking out the fog lights but...

Will this have an adverse effect on the air movement around the wheel and or create lift.

Thanks

Andrew

Lionel Richie
you melted the spiggot rings? erm are the calipers ok?

no your car will not turn into a NASA vehicle if you remove the fog lights

Yee im running ap racign brakes with toyo R888 not sure quite why theres so much heat must be because of the brakes and tyres getting so hot.

i didnt think so .. but you know air flow does some funny things..

Sunflower Ph1 172
Bearings ok? With r888s that puts a lot more pressure on them in the corners, so could be close to failure.

220 Trophy
I assume you’re talking about when on track, otherwise if you are creating that much heat on the road something is definitely faulty/broken. I’m running Willwood 4-pots with 1166 pads, plus also 888’s on Speedline 2118’s and have no problem with excessive heat. I’ve removed the fog-lights and cut a hole in the inner arch though so may be that’s the answer for you. If on track are you getting a lap’s cool-down in?

Yeah on track... yeah maybe ill remove the fog lights and see how i get on.. removing the arches helped so i think removing the Fogs will allow the air into the wheels

220 Trophy
If anything, I would imagine removing the lamps and cutting the ducts would add drag rather than creating lift therefore should theoretically add down force. This is all immaterial on a ‘heavy’ Clio surely!?

yeah i would have thought not going to make much differance... in terms of down force .. my car has had a bit of a diet.. no rear seats roll cage/ bucket seats ect.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
When running the foglight ducts on my Clio it would 'lift' at speeds over 75mph, i taped them up and it solved the problem. I was told it was air completely filling the inner arches at high speed, the last thing i needed running over 100mph at the Nurburgring.....

350z, Subaru Legacy
I'm tempted to cut a big hole in the wheel arch lining, just as I HATE those bolts for the bumper.

172 ph1
When running the foglight ducts on my Clio it would 'lift' at speeds over 75mph, i taped them up and it solved the problem. I was told it was air completely filling the inner arches at high speed, the last thing i needed running over 100mph at the Nurburgring.....
Hope you're kidding. I've gotten rid of the fog lights, replaced them with ducts, have noticed no such thing, and I'm at the 'Ring pretty often.

Inferno 182
If you introduce more air into the wheel arch, you will have more turbulent air in there, thereby increasing drag. Without some form of arch ducting, then you will theoretically increase front end lift, however, you'll never feel it at the speeds you will ever experience, it might start having an effect above 150mph.
It is a misnomer talking about downforce, on our cars, and virtually every road car, the best you can get is to reduce lift, rather than be able to create downforce.
Look at modern DTM cars for lessons in aerodynamics.....

b/g 182, meg tourer
can't see how you are melting spigot rings tbh, i think its more than just bad ventilation. however, no fogs and oz ultraleggeras keep my brakes nice and cool.