ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advise on New Exhaust

clio 182
Having decided to sell me car and bike.. then when offered the right money for them both, i couldn't part with either..

i want to get a new exhaust.. not sure which to choose.. any ideas.. I am 41 so don't want loud,but understand it will be loud under load..

When I bought my car it had a Sportex system which is OK.. but boomy .. seen loads on ebay for different prices..

Any body got any constructive advise for me..

Mark

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Something like a scorpion would be an idea. I had one, decatted and it was spot on. Not too loud imo, loved it.

182 CUP
BTM if Fred is still doing them, had mine 10 months, I'm the same age (old) and its perfect for me.

Ph 1 172
I just went from a ktec stealth supersports (avoid at all costs worst exhaust ever on motorway that's both sports and supersports) .. I have gone for the standard system from eurocar parts £109 midsection and back box. And then a ktec style induction kit. Bought the pipes and cone myself with the connectors for £55. Too me it's the perfect mix, no exhaust noise on the motorway or engine noise just cabin rattles but when I floor it it's got a nice sporty noise too it.

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
I've got a ktec super sports which isn't that bad. I don't think it resonates badly at all. You're always going to get increased cabin noise. To be honest scorpion are probably best out there at the moment for the money.

I think miltek discontinued stainless exhaust systems and the only make ones from cheese these days so I'd stay away.

2003 Clio 172
I just went from a ktec stealth supersports (avoid at all costs worst exhaust ever on motorway that's both sports and supersports)

Could you elaborate please?
I was actually looking at getting a KTEC Stealth after the winter but your post has now gotten me worried.
I understand it can be loud and I don't mind that but I couldn't stand drone at motorway speeds so definitely don't want that.

Ph 1 172
If you don't want a drone avoid it....60mph+ it has a really horrible drone that is almost painful and unbearable on anything longer than 5miles on the motorway.

It sounds like a wet fart when slowlydriving around town.

The only time I liked it was when I was accelerating at full pelt at that point it gets raspy and sounds almost rally car like.

But from what your saying it really isn't the exhaust for you.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I went for the genuine system due to drone. I miss the noise but don't miss the drone...

2003 Clio 172
Thanks for your honesty guys.
I see KTEC is on the cheaper end among aftermarket catbacks but how on earth could they design a system with such noticeable drone?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I went to Pro-speed in Cardiff...I got the mid sport note which is nice and subtle when pootling around town, but gives grunt at full revs. I asked them to amend the sound so it wasn't too bad at 70mph and they did that. Hence preferring custom exhausts as you can customise it to your requirements.

The Scorpion RS192 sounds like the one for you.

* Catback is £330 delivered if you catch a group buy (£360ish normally IIRC?) so it's about as cheap as stainless 182 systems come.
* Genuinely not discernably louder than standard at 70mph.
* Slightly louder on idle and full throttle but it is merely louder the pitch is unchanged so it's not boomy or raspy. Barely noticeable over a ktec style induction kit if you can use that as a reference.
* Build quality isn't the best but certainly not the worst - definitely better than Scorpion's newest effort (SRN019 "D" or whatever the 2nd revision was called) for example!
* Youtube videos/CS opinion would suggest it sounds much raspier than standard with a decat.

I was quite wary of all the exhaust noise opinions on CS as it's all relative. For all I know the person who labels exhaust XYZ as "quiet" might have previously owned several Saxos/Clios/Corsas with baked bean can exhausts or might even think it's "quiet" because the only other noise they hear is their F430/V8 Vantage/Lotus Exige etc.

Also it's probably worth making a distinction between the 172 and 182. Most 182 systems have an extra silencer, it's unlikely it counts for nothing ffs or it wouldn't be there and the system would either sell for less or perhaps be more profitable.