ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on paint chip repairs

Suzuki Swift Sport
Hi,

Had a go at repairing some paint chips on my bonnet. Had the paint chip kit from paint4u which contained everything for about £15.

Ive cleaned and smoothed the chip before hand, before mixing some lacquer and paint and applying to the chip. I've finished rubbing down and the result is below.

a8yteda2.jpg

satepuby.jpg

Where have I gone wrong there? The chip is now smooth but you can clearly see the edges of the chip. I was under the impression it would 'blend in' when polished.

I've already made the mistake of sanding too much elsewhere, burning through a small bit of paint....

Any help super appreciated!!

Thanks!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You will never hide it by just touching it in.

You dont mix clear coat and base coat together.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My advice to you is to get the (bonnet?) painted professionally.

It looks like it's blistering so it's probably been done in the past.

Suzuki Swift Sport
From what I found on the Internet, seemed to be a divide between people adding one after the other, mixing together and not applying lacquer at all.

Might try one of each way as well, plenty of stone chips to test on!

Suzuki Swift Sport
It's not blistering it's just the way the photo looks. Pretty adamant it hasn't been sprayed before - just because of the shear number of stone chips and general low mileage.

Trying to do things on a budget. Not something I feel needs doing, just something to try tackling whilst the sun is out! Plus you've got to learn somewhere I guess.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Watch "Paint Chip Touch-up -- /DRIVE CLEAN" on YouTube - Paint Chip Touch-up -- /DRIVE CLEAN: http://youtu.be/6xi3xmeO6C4

This is what I followed as well as numerous forum searches. Literally half I found mentioned mixing the lacquer and paint.

Didn't specify if it was metallic or not though. Currently applying in stages as we speak to see the difference...

You can indeed mix 2k Lacquer + Base Coat, thats how tinted lacquers are done etc etc, but you have to keep the proportions of base to lacquer low, else its possible it can crack or have other undesirable effects. With 1K Lacquers its absolutely fine to mix base and lacquer in any proportion in my understanding, the above only appies to 2k lacquers.

For a stone chip repair, you want standard base coat put into the chip, dried, then a 2K lacquer with the fastest hardener you can find (potentially with an accelerator in it as well), blobbed on to the chip so its slightly proud, covered and either left to cure or even better force dried, leave it like this for X weeks so all the shrinking back occurs as the lacquer cures properly, then use the Festool denibber (ideally) or wet sand to bring it level then polish it up.

If you do it well enough will won't see it after, unless really really looking close up at the metalics........Is it worth the hassle? probably not............it can also be done with a 1K Lacquer, but its much more difficult due to the lack of build and generally in blob forms lengthy drying times.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The colour match looks pretty poor to be honest , unless it's just the pic . You need to build the paint up so it stands proud of the chip . If it's only a small chip or scratch you don't need any lacquer .

I've just done quite a big chip which was down to the primer on the top of my passenger door and a small scratch on my bumper a couple of weeks ago . I haven't had time to sand them down yet , but when i do i'll use some 2500 grit wet n dry then polish the area with some Scratch X by hand . That's the method i've used before on small chips and it worked perfectly .

Suzuki Swift Sport
Thanks for replies.

I'm giving it another go at the moment. One with no lacquer and one layered with the correct amounts per instructions, just to see difference.

It's nice to learn because it's a handy skill. Makes all the difference when trying to get your car looking good!

I have an mx5 and someone has gone over the entire car with an aerosol can of paint without prep or primer. It's depressing because no matter what I do, I cannot repair that myself.

Dodgy one
Thanks for replies.

I'm giving it another go at the moment. One with no lacquer and one layered with the correct amounts per instructions, just to see difference.

It's nice to learn because it's a handy skill. Makes all the difference when trying to get your car looking good!

I have an mx5 and someone has gone over the entire car with an aerosol can of paint without prep or primer. It's depressing because no matter what I do, I cannot repair that myself.

Take some thinners to the mx5 and wipe it all off!

Also if you aren't going to bother sealing in the basecoat with any lacquer it's a pointless exercise, unless it's solvent base it will wash off and will always look dull.