ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Admiral are robbing c***s!

Insurance companies always do this. I would say though i have been with Admiral for years and never had an auto-renewal without being provided with the quote first. I take that quote, find the cheapest then tell Admiral. They usually undercut it and we done for another year.

Something Not French
NFU Mutual wouldn't quote on any mod that wasn't accompanied by a trained mechanics invoice!

Admiral are always silly cheap for me, every year I try to leave them and go with someone good but they are so cheap, this year ​I'm paying £204 with all mods declared and business use on the Clio!

Really? What branch? Melton Mowbray didn't have a problem with the exhaust and engine map!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
No I didn't.

And it is a scam. Auto renewing, no correspondence, massive inflation in price. It's a scam

Sorry mate but 100% you've ticked a box to say you're happy for them to do that. A similar one is that if you pay monthly your full years premiums is taken from a total loss settlement.

The first is a terrible clause but is in nearly all insurance policies. They are obliged to send you a quote before hand though and give you the chance to cancel. Similar to cooling of period.

This works in a similar way to energy bills where the people who do nothing pay for the cheap tariffs to exist.

Just to add to some other peoples comments about the pricing being random. The guys behind the pricing are actuaries and by no means are they throwing random numbers about. Some of the cleverest people working in the market. Of course they are trying to look after their shareholders but for lots of yound drivers come in thousands less than other companies.

Last edited:

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Really? What branch? Melton Mowbray didn't have a problem with the exhaust and engine map!

The Edinburgh one, the big stumbling block was my Eibachs, I pointed out that if I had replaced standard broken springs for standard it was exactly the same and they wouldn't know anything about it but they weren't having any of it.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone considered not shopping by price, but by quality of insurance or insurer?

I'm with NFU Mutual (not a farmer before anyone asks), consistently voted UK's best insurer on service and level of cover. I could get my insurance around 15% cheaper by using a price comparison site, but for the potential hassle that could arise from an accident (legal process, courtesy car etc) I'd rather not risk the 'cheapest' option.

I see a lot of threads on here moaning about insurers poor service etc, well the money has to come from somewhere... Just saying...

Yes, just a few weeks ago I went with Greenlight despite having a cheaper quote from Admiral, was really impressed by the customer service and knowledge of the RS models and popular mods - plus you know what you're gonna get upfront, whereas Admiral like charging fees for changes.

Something Not French
The Edinburgh one, the big stumbling block was my Eibachs, I pointed out that if I had replaced standard broken springs for standard it was exactly the same and they wouldn't know anything about it but they weren't having any of it.

Unlucky, you've hit the only potential downside of decentralised quoting, personal opinion of what constitutes a risk.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry mate but 100% you've ticked a box to say you're happy for them to do that. A similar one is that if you pay monthly your full years premiums is taken from a total loss settlement.

The first is a terrible clause but is in nearly all insurance policies. They are obliged to send you a quote before hand though and give you the chance to cancel. Similar to cooling of period.

This works in a similar way to energy bills where the people who do nothing pay for the cheap tariffs to exist.

Just to add to some other peoples comments about the pricing being random. The guys behind the pricing are actuaries and by no means are they throwing random numbers about. Some of the cleverest people working in the market. Of course they are trying to look after their shareholders but for lots of yound drivers come in thousands less than other companies.

I don't doubt I probably did but I've had no correspondence on my new e-mail address or via post about my renewal.

Trophy #387
Its all made up! They use statistics to find out what group you are in then they pick a number between the top and bottom of that group (normally from the top

Lol, not quite.

I was quoted £1100 for my renewal, despite having paid £800 last year. I phoned up to cancel the multi-car policy (4 cars) due to all premiums increasing and the other 3 drivers (my Dad, Mum and Brother) all receiving cheaper quotes elsewhere. They cancelled, and passed me through to the new business team just to see what premiums he could get for us with all the introductory discounts etc.

They beat the cheapest quotes we'd have for all drivers on aggregator websites (and therefore also beat their renewal quote for us) and I renewed the policy for about £1500 in total. My own premium was £700.

It helps to shop around, get some solid numbers and talk to them. Admiral revolve around vast volumes of policies and they have an investment strategy so they heavily invest the income from insurance policies into growth, that is why they're so cheap.

No volumes = no investment = no profit.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, not quite.

I was quoted £1100 for my renewal, despite having paid £800 last year. I phoned up to cancel the multi-car policy (4 cars) due to all premiums increasing and the other 3 drivers (my Dad, Mum and Brother) all receiving cheaper quotes elsewhere. They cancelled, and passed me through to the new business team just to see what premiums he could get for us with all the introductory discounts etc.

They beat the cheapest quotes we'd have for all drivers on aggregator websites (and therefore also beat their renewal quote for us) and I renewed the policy for about £1500 in total. My own premium was £700.

It helps to shop around, get some solid numbers and talk to them. Admiral revolve around vast volumes of policies and they have an investment strategy so they heavily invest the income from insurance policies into growth, that is why they're so cheap.

No volumes = no investment = no profit.

exactly quite! I'm convinced that's how they do it

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Why? 300 Focus STs might have been in an accident in the last year.

Also you are send a renewal price 30 days before. That's law iirc.

still doesn't make sense.

for example.

you take a standard focus st and the risk is as follows.

2005 - 20%
2006 - 25%
2007 - 30%

why is it that the st is more likely to crash one year than the other? After all the cars are standard.. so really it'll be down to the fact that they are getting cheaper to buy and thus cheaper to own by a less wealthy and more inexperienced driver. The only factor attributing to the crashes must therefore be the driver not the car.. our op shows he is less of a risk with an increase in ncb so in theory he should get a reduction in price. Not an increase.

so something has to change..

Ford Mustang 5.0
Neil@ greenlight - top man!

makes insurance bareable, thank you :)

Even tried selling me me a bluefin before I'd got a quote and got me a smashing quote for the Megane.

Cheers mate, glad you were pleased with the quote and thanks for coming over to greenlight

If you need anything at all throughout the year please dont hesitate to get in touch with me via PM

Ford Mustang 5.0
Yes, just a few weeks ago I went with Greenlight despite having a cheaper quote from Admiral, was really impressed by the customer service and knowledge of the RS models and popular mods - plus you know what you're gonna get upfront, whereas Admiral like charging fees for changes.

Thanks mate :cool:

182 ff
Renewal prices always go up, hoping you'll just renew. Also haven't you moved house?
mine went down by £150... I called them up, and stated I have been quote another £150 cheaper,they matched the price..
so I got it £300 cheaper.
how can your insurance go up ,with an extra year no claims bonus? (if you have not claimed )
I stay away from price comparison sites ,they just a joke. I find its your postcode that is a major factor..
my mate postcode a few miles away is £200 more, for the same quote.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Just had my renewal thru from Adrian Flux.
It's cheaper than last year but not as much as I was hoping. £280 with wheels, spacers and coilovers declared.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I believe admiral use the "administrative costs" excuse to ramp up the cancellation costs

I believe admiral use the "administrative costs" excuse to ramp up the cancellation costs
But you agree to them when you sign up don't you? I know if I try and cancel my Sky contract or EE phone I have to pay stupid amounts. Just playing devils advocate. They are running a competitive business where they don't want customers cancelling as soon as a better deal comes along.

Look at cancelling a mortgage mid-term. Don't get me started on those costs :)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
But you agree to them when you sign up don't you? I know if I try and cancel my Sky contract or EE phone I have to pay stupid amounts. Just playing devils advocate. They are running a competitive business where they don't want customers cancelling as soon as a better deal comes along.

I probably do agree to it yeah but £50 to cancel it ott. That's a third of my parents total cost for example. When your paying £1000 it doesn't seem as bad.

I just hate them for being money grabbing c***s

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

At least if you cancel your phone contract, you get a phone to show for it lol

anyway, I've done enough moaning today!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Just an FYI, motor insurance companies don't tend to make much money.

I know my uncle works in IT at... Yes admiral! He's pretty high up too so knows a fair amount. Told me a few things that are interesting.

just FYI insurance companies are still theifs working legally

clio 182 trophy
Hes right. apparently eui ltd were they only insurance company to actually make money a year or so ago. Gives them more excuse to excuse their robbery

I can't see it mate. I know so many people who have paid thousands and thousands over the years, who have never claimed. My family alone is over 20k since I have had my own car. I know the whiplash culture has dented it over the years but someone is cooking the figures somewhere surely.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I couldn't see it either, but my uncle is quite in the know and he has no reason to lie to me.

although I have reason to believe they're not making so much this year due to the MASSIVE increase in premiums

SQ5
I can't see it mate. I know so many people who have paid thousands and thousands over the years, who have never claimed. My family alone is over 20k since I have had my own car. I know the whiplash culture has dented it over the years but someone is cooking the figures somewhere surely.

Example, I paid £1200 to be insured on my R32. That cost them £10500. I had a hire car for around 100 days at about £150 A DAY! That's another £15000, loss of earnings and compensation then came to about £5000.

So that's £30500 of insurance claim! This was an Enterprise hire car that hit me but what if it was a Saga insured over 65 pensioner where nobody pays more than £200. That means they would need 153 customers to cover that cost, let alone all of there business costs and wages. I dread to think what Kindertons charge as an accident management company.

Ford Mustang 5.0
Lol you all f**king bum green light but they charged me £60 to leave. Insurance are all robbing c**ts.

Our cancellation fee is £25 mate. We also waive this if the customer is cancelling for something we cant cover (ie wants to change from a 182 to Pickup truck)

Only time the cancellation fee can differ is If a customer pays by installments via finance company and default on payments then there are charges involved with the finance company which can increase things.

Also Classic car policies can have a worse cancellation scale but that wouldnt apply to Cliosport model.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Our cancellation fee is £25 mate. We also waive this if the customer is cancelling for something we cant cover (ie wants to change from a 182 to Pickup truck)

Only time the cancellation fee can differ is If a customer pays by installments via finance company and default on payments then there are charges involved with the finance company which can increase things.

Also Classic car policies can have a worse cancellation scale but that wouldnt apply to Cliosport model.

Sorry - I was very drunk last night!!