ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adding extra speakers to 5 door mk2

A few
I have a mk2 and it only as 2 front speakers. I would I go about adding two more in the rear? Can anyone off any advice?

If it was a three door it'd be simple, but in a five door your going to have to work out a way of getting the wires from the door through the rubber door loom thing into the cabin.

Also re. above. Halfords fitting for speakers is £49.99. And you'll probably find it hard to find a store that'll fit speakers.

Jap Box
Save the hassle and get some in the parcel shelf? Wont sound as good though but atleast its easier. Then cover them over so their not on show?

A few
Save the hassle and get some in the parcel shelf? Wont sound as good though but atleast its easier. Then cover them over so their not on show?

Not a bad idea. Dont really like the parcel shelf speakers but I might find a way of doing things abit different. Any idea how to wire them up to the headunit? and where to put the cables?

Wiring should already be in the doors, just a case of putting on new speakers terminals then bolt in the speakers

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Possibly a really stupid question, but why do you want speakers in the rear of your car...?

Decent set of components up front, amped if you can... job done.

A few
Possibly a really stupid question, but why do you want speakers in the rear of your car...?

Decent set of components up front, amped if you can... job done.

I have bought some new speakers, only some £35 alpine ones, should be better than standards. If this doesn't make any difference then I will be adding some rears I think.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
The same power and (I'm assuming you've got the standard headunit?) awful Renault HU noise will still be going to them though...

Aftermarket (Alpine, Pioneer) HU, then speakers, then amp if you need/want.

All IMO of course.

Jap Box
To wire up from parcel shelf ive got it going like this:

Amp in boot, RCA going from amp to back of heaunit "rear" pre-out.

The rear speakers are on channel 1&2 bridged, so simply wire the parcel shelf speakers down into the amp in the boot. Then ive got channel 3&4 bridged to my sub, again RCA going to the sub pre-out on the headunit.

Although you could wire the parcel shelf speakers into the wire connector block at the back of the headunit into the rear speaker terminal holes. Not sure which ones they are though and it wont sound as good as amping them, but will be a heck of a lot cheaper.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Never come across a JVC head unit that is even bordering on 'good'. Alpine or nothing for me.

The standard speakers are just fine - as long as you can cut the bass to them ! Had a cheap sub in my ph1 Clio, HPF/LPF set up so the sub does the heavy stuff, and the standard speakers do the high stuff, and it was just fine. Fairly high up the range Alpine unit mind...

Jap Box
I did have an alpine one which was £220 and that was great. Going to get another next month.

No idea on the speaker front sorry, I just bought some £25 FLI ones for up front as my stock ones had blown, their not bad to be fair, cut the tweeters off them too. My parcel shelf speakers are mutant ones, no idea on the model etc as they were a present off my ex, and their also covered over with carpeting material so you cant see them in the shelf.

Headunit is a Sony MEX-BT3700U however, some kind of bluetooth, aux, usb one with 3 pre-outs on there, bought purely for the pre-out reason and I love the functionailty of the Sony ones with scrolling through USB.

Jap Box
There should be. Which mk2 is it exactly?

If its a 5 door there wont be, my mates PH2 DCi had no rear speaker holes and hes adamant into thinking the air holes that are either side of the parcel shelf are the speaker covers, he wont listen to me.

Listerine & Poledo
you can always fabricate a mount to put speakers in the parcel-=shelf air-holes, but you'll only get, say, 10cm ones in there unless you mount at an angle.

Stealth shelf would be an alright, provided you fit any cones so they remain stealth.

Personally, Alpine HU (with High-pass filter engaged), standard speakers and a Pioneer active tube. Works fine.