ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adding a named driver but he lives in an area my insurer won't cover

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
My insurer have refused to add a named driver to my policy because the area in which my car will stay for the week is not one they cover. Apart from cancelling my insurance and going somewhere slightly more flexible. Is there another (legal) way I can do this?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Get him to insure the car in his own name?

Google ''day insure'' for an idea on prices. Not cheap though.

Swift Sport
Walk into a Car Sales where they offer 'one-week free' car insurance, and see if you can the dealership code from them!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
It's illegal to have a car insured twice though.. Or am I missing what you all mean?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Brian stops insurance.

Mate starts insurance.

Mate stops insurance.

Brian re-starts insurance.

Is this a difficult concept?

Swift Sport
If dealerships are like the one I used to work at, the salesmen keep the flyers for the free insurance at their desks with the dealership codes written on them. You wouldn't be the first to take advantage of the gimmick, but you wouldn't have access to the printed policy.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If dealerships are like the one I used to work at, the salesmen keep the flyers for the free insurance at their desks with the dealership codes written on them. You wouldn't be the first to take advantage of the gimmick, but you wouldn't have access to the printed policy.

PMSL!! It wasn't just me then that used to set up mates insurance for when they bought a car from miles away!!

Swift Sport
PMSL!! It wasn't just me then that used to set up mates insurance for when they bought a car from miles away!!

It would appear not my friend, it only came to light when the salesmen themselves started using it and the managers noticed staff names on the insurance emails list.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It would appear not my friend, it only came to light when the salesmen themselves started using it and the managers noticed staff names on the insurance emails list.

It was a few years ago now, but the insurance company used to just send the salesman the email. So i'd print out the email, delete the email. Done! lol.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
Been looking at lots of temp cover websites that seem perfect (and reasonably priced) but they don't like young people or modified cars :(

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Tell said person to move!! I can only assume it's going to Birmingham or Manchester????? haha. Dont worry Brian I have cover fpr everything I'll look after it for you! :evil:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
(i'm aiming this at the insureres, not Hawking and einstein of the CS admin...)

Said person text me yesterday (before I dropped my phone in the bath!) and all of us at work cannot believe this is being made difficult.

It should be clear cut and easy to sort. :S

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
I'm changing insurers next year, no matter how cheap my renewal is!

Unimpressed is an understatement!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Like I suggested to 'the other person' why dont they just do a change of car on their policy for the time they have the car, then change back again after.

They are with Brentacre so no admin fees apparently

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
Ah, so that was actually your suggestion! If it comes good, sticker in the post! ;)

I just phoned to add a mate on my car for a week. They asked his name, dob and any previous convictions/accidents. Cost £25.

Who are you insured with?

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Greenlight

They must of changed their policy then, when I enquired with them about adding someone - they didn't want to know where they lived just how old were they and any points etc.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
They must of changed their policy then, when I enquired with them about adding someone - they didn't want to know where they lived just how old were they and any points etc.

Probably because the place the car stays at night is changing in this case, aswell as a driver add...