ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Active Directory, GPO + Navision.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Currently have about 110 systems with Navision 3.60 client installed via GP need to upgrade them to 4.0 while still retaining user settings.

Using a test system I do a full rebuild and all the correct apps are installed including Nav 3.60, I then use psexec and msiexec using the .msi to do a test install of 4.0 but its doing weird things like uninstalling the old 3.6 (good !) but not installing 4.0. The thing is its the 4.0 MSI thats doing the uninstall ...

Anyone ever done this before ? or something similar ?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
What happend to all the M$ lovers on here then ? they are always around when i'm preaching the linux goodness !

Rav4
Takes a long time to learn things, specially if you are trying to learn programming languages, networking and a whole load of things all at the same time.

:)

Well done ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Put basically the MSI had to be repacked and a custom transform file had to be created and applied to the MSI file, also the MSI file had to be changed itself because of a conflict with a packaged msxml3.dll caused it to become de-registered with the system which in turn caused windows inbuilt search function to break.

And these are fully build packages released by MS designed for deployment on a large scale !!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Takes a long time to learn things, specially if you are trying to learn programming languages, networking and a whole load of things all at the same time.

:)

Well done ;)

Try and do one at a time otherwise your just gonna confuse yourself.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Ahhh good old software packaging, my day to day job :) Although it's a lot easier imho using SMS rather than nasty GPO/AD :p

Have packaged a hell of a lot of apps and there can be some really crap ones.

I always curse software devs who don't think about the install.

Do they think we are going to go round 1500 pcs in turn to install their crappy software manually??

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I wouldnt have minded... but this was an M$ package !! and it broke the system when installing !!

At least I know who to speak to next time I need to repackage an MSI though ! ;)