ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Acoustic Valve?

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
have heard various things about removing the acoustic valve, but dont really get it

is it a big job labour wise

what increases does it make

and fundermentaly is it worth it?

FF182 Brembo Max, BMC CDA
it can be a pain in the arse, tight squze but if your putting in a cold air feed it needs to go so you can run tubing down there, jack car up, remove wheel arch undo bolt that holds it on, pull hard and its off.

Im not very machinally minded but i managed it in around 30 mins.

A4 Avant
I removed mine. It took about 15mins including removing the wheel arch liner. I personally can't feel any difference without it fitted it's just got a bit more induction noise now.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I removed mine. It took about 15mins including removing the wheel arch liner. I personally can't feel any difference without it fitted it's just got a bit more induction noise now.

Thats why it's called an acoustic valve ;)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Its there to do two things. To cut noise and to improve low end torque. If you want more noise and you don't care about losing a bit of low end torque, great, remove it.

At full throttle its fully open, so there can't be any power improvement by simply removing it. Not unless it was broken or some idiot who thought they knew better than the engineers at Renault had already disconnected the vacuum line and it wasn't opening.

As has been said it's to conform to noise laws, if Renault didn't have to fit it i'm sure they wouldn't have.

It's got a butterfly how can it not be restrictive? Even at full open theres still an object there restricting flow.. Why do people flow butterflies?

b/g 182, meg tourer
Its there to do two things. To cut noise and to improve low end torque. If you want more noise and you don't care about losing a bit of low end torque, great, remove it.

At full throttle its fully open, so there can't be any power improvement by simply removing it. Not unless it was broken or some idiot who thought they knew better than the engineers at Renault had already disconnected the vacuum line and it wasn't opening.

explain how having an acoustic valve will give you more low down torque!

I think when the engines cold its closed so it picks up the slightly warmer air in the top half of the engine dont know how it would make a difference torque wise though

believe it or not, my car did not came with the acoustic valve when I purchase. Fitted it back yesterday and I feel it helps at low rev.