ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Acer Aspire 5920 power problem

t3 corolla 116bhp
hey all

having a slight problem with the OH's laptop. basically it wont power up and wont charge. the green LED on the charger 'blinks' when plugged into the laptop and the charge status light on the laptop light remains unlit. i am assuming its the PSU so was just wondering is it a big task to fix? or could it be something else causing the problem?

thanks

j

t3 corolla 116bhp
charger is working fine on another identical acer laptop so i assume it cant be the prob

Evo 8 Jap Crap
ahh you have a problem with the charging point or the laptop then sorry cant help with that

DMS

A thirsty 172
As above. Sounds like the power jack on the laptop has become detached from the motherboard. It'll need re-soldering unless the motherboard is badly damaged, in which case that could need replacing instead.

1.2 Dynamique
your not gonna like this:

i had the same laptop, same problem, turned out it was some capacitor on the motherboard failing, and its pretty terminal-new motherboard im afraid.

Although, i hope im wrong and its not that.

Has anyone had any luck with this, I have the exact same problem..

Blinking / flashing green light on the power adapter, the adapter itself works on other Acer laptops.. also tried a universal charger and it does the same thing (ie. light blinks on the power block).

I hope the motherboard isn't totally knackered, did anyone fix it by soldering? or any other way?

Clio 1.2 Billabong
You might need a new power board. Mine went on my Aspire 5050, but I got a new one for about £30 on ebay. They usually connect to the motherboard using some sort of plug or connector, so it should be fairly easy.

How did you determine that it was the power board and not the motherboard itself (or anything else for that matter)..

i know abit about computers but i'm not sure how i would be sure it was the power board, or if i'd be confident enough to replace it.

facts i know: laptop doesn't turn on, if connected to the power adapter the green light starts to blink, i have also tried this without the battery connected, same result.

i do think its something to do with the laptop itself rather than the power adapter.. just i dont want to spend money on things unless i'm sure, i looked at the power board you mentioned, is it something like this: http://www.codemicro.com/store/product/BP/55agw07005/Refurbished

thanks