ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS Ring (Picture attatched)

1.4 Dynamique
Hi, Recently the ABS light has been coming on with the service light. At low speed sometimes the ABS kicks in, I have read about it probably been the ABS ring.

I looked at it today and that black circle plastic clip is moving around freely? does it sit next to the abs ring and is this my problem? any idea of how much it will cost as well?

jrcvty.jpg

you might have to twist your head to see the picture properly lol

Cheers!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That is "A" problem yes but it is unlikely to be "The" problem matey.

What youv'e got there is a cable tie acting/failing at being a CV boot clip... this needs replacing but before you do that the CV joint needs cleaning out and repacking with grease.

Looking at that wheel though the Reluctor ring (That's the toothed wheel you can see to the right of the plastic clip you described) is covered in some kind of muck which needs to be cleaned off. Check the other wheel as well and be sure to check them for signs of cracking after you've cleaned them up.

Mick

1.4 Dynamique
That is "A" problem yes but it is unlikely to be "The" problem matey.

What youv'e got there is a cable tie acting/failing at being a CV boot clip... this needs replacing but before you do that the CV joint needs cleaning out and repacking with grease.

Looking at that wheel though the Reluctor ring (That's the toothed wheel you can see to the right of the plastic clip you described) is covered in some kind of muck which needs to be cleaned off. Check the other wheel as well and be sure to check them for signs of cracking after you've cleaned them up.

Mick

Cheers dude!! im taking it down to the garage tomorrow any idea how much it would cost? just so i know im not getting robbed.

Seat Ibiza
changing pads and discs is about as far as i go with cars lol

Its easier than that mate. clean up the toothed ring (Exciter ring) with a wire bush, clean where the boot sits and wipe over with brake cleaner, look inside make sure there is nothing that will damage the CV, fill it up with grease and put a new clip or a new big cable tie on.

Jobs a good'un.

1.4 Dynamique
Its easier than that mate. clean up the toothed ring (Exciter ring) with a wire bush, clean where the boot sits and wipe over with brake cleaner, look inside make sure there is nothing that will damage the CV, fill it up with grease and put a new clip or a new big cable tie on.

Jobs a good'un.

I might give it a go then, where does the grease actually go on that picture?

cheers again people

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
i'd also check the rear ABS rings aswell, i just had the problem and one of my rear ABS rings was cracked.

Monaco Clio 172
grease goes inside the rubber. cut the black clip off and stick your finger in the rubber to pull it open

Seat Ibiza
If its totally dry in there it will cause a problem later on in life if not already. But yeah, cut the clip off and inside there, don't fill it so its impossible to move in there as it will just push it out all over the brakes inner wheel and suspension arms etc.
Does the ABS light stay off until you move? Cause the problem that is shown above will cause that!

1.4 Dynamique
If its totally dry in there it will cause a problem later on in life if not already. But yeah, cut the clip off and inside there, don't fill it so its impossible to move in there as it will just push it out all over the brakes inner wheel and suspension arms etc.
Does the ABS light stay off until you move? Cause the problem that is shown above will cause that!

The ABS light doesn't come on until im doing 50+ MPH once parked up and turned off it goes off and comes on again when im doing 50+ , so hopefully its not going to be totally dry in there I should be ok im guessing?

1.4 Dynamique
been to the garage there, apparantly the fault reader is saying its a speedo ring or something? had to change the gear box oil as well apparantly.

Last edited:
  172/1.2/E30
as said above: get the rubber boot sorted and clean the "teeth"-rings. I bet 50 quid that your filthy rings are causing the abs fault.

Megane dci 130
The fact the cable tie is getting in the way of the sensor and the reluctor ring is your problem. Get it off and get a proper clip on there and your problems will dissapear.