ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS fault

ph1 172
Symptoms are ABS kicks in under 'heavy' baking at junctions etc. and ABS light is on dash.

I'm guessing ABS sensor. I've had it plugged into an RS Tuner which isn't showing any faults. I've had the wheels off and inspected sensors/wires for breaks etc.

Is there an easy way of eliminating potential faulty sensors?

Also are front and rear sensors the same? I'm thinking of buying a cheap working second hand sensor to try and eliminate it that way.

On a ph1 172 btw.

Isnt that what they are supposed to do?
Not really, no!

Often it's a broken or corroded reluctor ring but from what you say it's likely to be an electical faut, if the abs light is illuminated and you get it kicking in when braking up to junctions. With all the bad weather recently, your wiring might have been contaminated. It happened to me last year and I traced thh fault to the wiring connection beside the CAT, it was full of water. It's quite easy to check and clean all the conections in the abs wiring, that's what I would do before spending any money. If all looks good and fault persists then get it properly diagnosed on clip

SAAB 93 Aero TTiD SS
maybe ive misunderstood how abs works then. under "heavy" braking (or baking as he put it) the abs kicks in to stop the wheels locking up doesnt it?

Does a 172cup have abs?

172 cups don't have abs - correct. OP's asking about phase 1

ABS light illuminated - there's a fault with the ABS system

I have no idea what constitutes "heavy" braking to the OP but when I'm driving fast and last minute brake up to a junction I don't expect my abs to kick in, except if there's a fault or I've been a complete tw*t and misjudged it.

ph1 172
Admittedly 'heavy' braking at junctions wan't the best description. It's basically when just bringing the car to a full stop that I'm getting a bit of ABS interference without locking up.

I'll check the wiring better for breaks I think as suggested by Jengis, cheers.

Anyone know if the sensors are the same front and back then?

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Having the same problem myself lately. Should be taking mine to birchdown soon for a service so ill ask them to take a look

If I manage to sort it ill let you know what was up with mine. Had a sensor replaced around 6 months ago, probably just a connection issue

Westfield, 182, 200
My abs lights have come on a few times lately, adjusted the brake light switch, hopefully it's cured now!