ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS Cutting in at Low Speeds!

I've just been out in the car today and for some reason the ABS sometimes randomly cuts in at low speeds ie. under 15mph! Is there any reason it would be doing this??

There are no ABS lights or anything on the dash, the only thing I know of is that the discs are worn and need replacing.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

?
Garage job, you can buy the abs rings seperately and they can just be swapped round. No need for the shaft to come out.

I got mine done for £25, and i supplied to part myself

Megane dci 130
I would check that your cv boots havnt come insecure 1st. The metal clips intefier with the signal.

ValverInBits
^^ as does CV grease splilling out of the CV boot.

The job would be:
Slacken Hub nut (lots of leverage)
Jack and support and wheel off
Steering track rod detatch
Ball joint remove from hub
Unbolt hub from shock and remove hub
Sort driveshaft and re-assemble.

Thanks,

I've just had it on the ramp at Kwik Fit and got the bloke to check the ABS rings, which were fine.. unfortunately he didn't seem to think there were abs rings on the back (there must be surely?) so they are unchecked.

It's had an MOT about 2 weeks and nothing on the CV boots, I suppose the metal clip could be a possibility though?

Megane dci 130
The clip will only interfier if it has come off. THere is reluctors on the back, there pressed onto the back of the disc.

Megane dci 130
The front ones are more prone to failing. Yes you can just wipe them off with a cloth. Your better off getting it clip tested, this will show you what fault is stored.

not yet mate. going go wipe the sensors down at the weekend. it only happens when i lightly press the pedal at low speeds.

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Im taking mine in tomorrow, hes gonna connect the computer and check for fault codes, if that brings up nothing, ill check rings, abs sensor and cv boots...as its getting on my tits now...

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
if after wiping them down they still dont work try and change the abs sensors cheap secondhand. if not will most likely be the abs unit

Right, just been inspecting the fronts and found this;

DSC02800.jpg

That's the second time in a row Kwik Fit have mis-diagnosed a problem or not found one at all!

So can these rings not be fitted by myself?

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Yes they can be fitted by you, but unless your ok with jobs like this, id get a garage to do it....You need to heat the new rings with a blow torch to get them on...mine is being done on Wednesday, let you know how i get on...

Seems a simple enough job, but does it not fit at all without being heated up?

Where did you get the abs ring from?

Sprint 172
Yes they can be fitted by you, but unless your ok with jobs like this, id get a garage to do it....You need to heat the new rings with a blow torch to get them on...mine is being done on Wednesday, let you know how i get on...

Any news yet?

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Didnt have chance on wednesday, tomorrow hopefully now...will update this thread accordingly....