ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A few snaps from Abu Dhabi / Dubai

I've not long been back from a business trip to the UAE. Good timing really, as I was getting sick of the chaos this snow is causing - so it's a bit warmer over there! ;)

I was there for 4 days, the first few I couldnt really go out much due to work, but I managed to get a few snaps around Abu Dhabi one afternoon.

The last day turned into a bit of a disaster as I got an email in the afternoon to say my return flight (which was due at 02:35 the next morning) had been cancelled! :(
Luckily there was another flight at the same time departing from Dubai. So the agents who 'represent' us in the UAE kindly took me sort of sight seeing in the evening, before we drove to Dubai!

Disclaimer: I can only just about travel with my D3, so I had no tripod or any other gear, these are not proper photographs, just 'touristy' snapshots, but Im pretty pleased with how they came out :)

1. The view from the hotel.
DSC_1532.jpg

DSC_1484.jpg

DSC_1506.jpg

DSC_1570.jpg

5. Hotel lobby, not quite sure why I took this photo! ;)
DSC_1586.jpg

DSC_1598.jpg

The main place I got taken to was the Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan Mosque. This place is utterly breathtaking, I think I can safely say that is it is the most impressive piece of architecture I have ever seen. I could have spent all day taking photos there!

7. From the outside
DSC_1604.jpg

DSC_1610.jpg

DSC_1612.jpg

DSC_1634.jpg

DSC_1645.jpg

DSC_1616_2.jpg

DSC_1650.jpg

DSC_1658.jpg

DSC_1665.jpg

16. Quite like this as an abstract kind of shot.
DSC_1643.jpg

After that it was time to leave for Dubai. The traffic in Abu Dhabi is always a nightmare so it took a while to even get out of the city!
Oh....on the way to Dubai, as a motorsport fan, I had to stop of here:

17. Shame we couldn't get a few laps in ;)
DSC_1666.jpg

Near Dubai we also stopped off at the palm tree island. We drove up the 'spine' of the tree all the way to the end, where there is the Atlantis Hotel - what a building!!

18. The hotel!
DSC_1675.jpg

A also a quick stop off to see the Burj Al Arab :)

DSC_1678.jpg

By this time it was time to get to the airport, unfortunately there was one more building I would have liked to have seen a bit closer, but this was the best view I had of it:

DSC_1680.jpg

Not the best photo in the world, but it was shot from a moving car through the windscreen at ISO5000! Never the less, I think you get the idea of the scale that is the tallest building in the world - the Burj Khalifa.

Not a bad trip really ;)

Tomorrow morning I'm off to Saudi Arabia again, hopefully I can get some good shots there too :)

Thanks for looking

Partner's Astra SRi
Outstanding photos!

7-16 - absolutely stunning. I would love to have some of these on canvas! (12, 14 and 16 especially!)

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
nice, not much noise either ;)

We're going to stay with some friends in september, can't wait!

nice, not much noise either ;)

Im glad you said that.

All of the photos in the mosque were shot at about ISO800-1000, all handheld.
The level of noise, or lack of I should say, is incredible. The D3 might cost a lot, but I have absolutely no regrets buying it, as my D200 couldn't hold a candle to it in situations like that.

Partner's Astra SRi
Dan, do you have any larger sizes of these please? I'd love a new desktop wallpaper :D

/Cheeky

Lauren: lol, no problem. If you want I can update my wallpaper thread. It's only got cars in it at the moment, but I can add some others if you want :)

Which ones would you prefer?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That mosque looks like something that would be built 50 years ago, architecht wise.

It's amazing looking! You don't see many places like that anymore.

Partner's Astra SRi
Lauren: lol, no problem. If you want I can update my wallpaper thread. It's only got cars in it at the moment, but I can add some others if you want :)

Which ones would you prefer?

Yes please, that'd be fantastic.

12, 13, 14 and 16 would make awesome wallpapers :D

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Awesome shots, I'm going out there in May, can't wait!

12 is amazing. easily stands out among the others for me. excellent colour contrast between the gold, white and dark blue. also love the curves against the straight lines.