ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A day of long exposures

I love messing about with long exposures, I really like to photograph things in ways you can't see yourself normally. So I broke out the Big Stopper (and more) to have a play.

I found a promising location a couple of miles away, a nice lonely tree. Something very photogenic about those....so I thought it would fit pretty well.

DSC5983.jpg

DSC6001.jpg

DSC6003.jpg

DSC6008.jpg

DSC6009.jpg

And a nice sunset to end the day....

DSC6050.jpg

DSC6059.jpg

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
As usual your composition is fantasic.

How did you get the grass to look so long and vibrant?

Last edited:
  BG DCI
Really great photo's once again! :)

Maybe a little equipment spec and small how to would be great for us amateurs! :hail:

Equipment spec you say.....ok.

Nikon D3
24-70mm f/2.8
or
16-35mm f/4

Lee Big Stopper
Lee 0.6 GND Hard
Hitech 0.9 GND Hard
Hoya ND8 (for another 3 stops)

So 13 stops of ND filter, and one of those GND filters for the sky.

Total exposure times varied from 60-200 seconds.

RB 182
Number two is absolutely belting mate, seriously good. My kind of shot. Don't get me wrong, they're all great, but number 2 stands out by a mile for me.

Silly question, as I know Lee filters are s**t hot.....do they colour cast when stacked like that? I sometimes struggle when I stack my Hitechs with my Kood ND4 (I know they aren't as good as Lee filters) and I really struggle to remove the cast in PP afterwards.....

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
More from you ?

Seriously.. I mean.. there isn't a single leather clad pit-girl or exposed breast in sight. No one wants to see this.

Trees, man..... TREES !!!!!!

Arctic Blue FF 182
Wow! Absolutely fantastic shots Dan! As above number 2 is just outstanding! Look forward to seeing more shots soon.

Number two is absolutely belting mate, seriously good. My kind of shot. Don't get me wrong, they're all great, but number 2 stands out by a mile for me.

Silly question, as I know Lee filters are s**t hot.....do they colour cast when stacked like that? I sometimes struggle when I stack my Hitechs with my Kood ND4 (I know they aren't as good as Lee filters) and I really struggle to remove the cast in PP afterwards.....

One of the reason Lee filters are more $$$ is because they have very little colour cast. I notice more when I use my cheaper Hitech filters.

Do you layer the filters over the top of one another Dan?

Edit: Above post suggests you do stack!

I don't normally, but as it was so sunny, I had to use my Hoya screw in filter, then screw my Lee holder into that (and use the 10 stop as well).

More from you ?

Seriously.. I mean.. there isn't a single leather clad pit-girl or exposed breast in sight. No one wants to see this.

Trees, man..... TREES !!!!!!

lol I'll try and shoot something more exciting next time ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Taking photos of taking photos? Next time will you go three fold?

Excellent photos, your stuff genuinely makes me want to go and buy myself a starter camera and see what I can achieve.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
There's an amazing tree just before after the bridge on the M50 by tewks which would make a great shot.

Brilliant photos there

I'm dying to get out and have a play with my X100
It has a 3 stop ND filter built in - and I've bought a 6 stop ND filter that I can screw on - so should get 9 stops
Should be ok for a very small portable long exposure rig