ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A couple of problems with our 182

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
Our 182 seems to have developed a few little problems in the last week or 2 and just wondered if any one could shed some light on them or point me in the right driection of what to look for.

1st problem is economy, generally speaking the computer sits at 33mpg (it does a mix of driving). On a good run it will easily do 40mpg. I filled it up the other night (with V power of course) and reset the comp which I hadn't done for ages and since then I haven't been able to get the mpg above 31, even doing 50mph in 5th gear. Could it just be a bad tank of fuel or something else?

2nd problem is that the engine doesn't seem to be getting warm enough. The temp gauge has been sitting a little lower than normal which hadn't bothered me until the other night. I gave it some welly and it hit the cold limiter, the thing that was weird was I had been driving for a good 30 mins so it should have been warm:(

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Rich

172 & LCR
It may need a new thermostat if its not getting to correct running temp this will also affect your mpg.

BG 182 FF
The fuel the same has happened to me, I was getting 32mpg, filled it up, now only getting 26mpg and I haven't been driving any different. However I don't think its that accurate so I wouldn't worry about it

Nothing at the mo :(
i usually use vpower.. only cause tesco in my mind is *cheap fuel*

But i get better MPG with tesco super then shell Vpower.. so this weekend im going back to tesco super

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
I'd like to get to the bottom of the temp problem and see if that cures the fuel problem. Its strange that they seem to have started about the same time. I've been out in it again and you have to drive hard to get it upto temp, and if you then ease off the the temp drops back down and the cold limiter comes back in.

I'll check the temp sensor and thermostat this weekend.
Thanks for the help so far guys :)

Andy8CH

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Mk2
It will be the thermostat - my 172 was doing it until Rentech put a new one in the Saturday just gone.
Before the new stat it sat 2 lines below where it does now until you sat in traffic or gave it some. Now once it's warm it just stays at the same temp - just as it did when it was new..

Golf GTD Mk7
mpg wise, mine has dropped 2mpg recently. I think it may be down to the cold weather?

cool weather should improve performance so economy will be fine, if not better.

Your trip computer could need resetting. Have you tried holding down the trip button then turning the key to ignition. press the button a few times till you come to miles remaining and press the reset stalk. Might work.

The second issue could be due to the car not being driven hard for a while? mine sometimes does this and need a bit of spirited driving to loosen up.

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
It must be a cooling problem, I driven from Leicester to Hull today. at 65mph I was getting 31mpg at 75-80pmh I was getting 35mpg. I'm going to pick a thermostat up tomorrow and see what that does :)