ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

700 Miles later

Clio 200
So last thursday I took delivery of my racing blue 200 with cup packs and recaros. so thought I would put a review of how I have found the 200 to date.

I used to have a 53 plate 172 hence the name, I loved the car to bits , yes it wasnt the best built, yes it had its problems, yes it wasnt the most refined car in the world but it never failed to put a smile on my face every time I drove it. That left the 200 with a lot to live up to.

Build Quality
First opinions are that the 200 is 10 times better built than the 172, Ok it is still early times yet but you get the feeling that it will actually last longer, The cabin is relativly quiet and really not a bad place to be, The materials on the dash, wheel etc look and feel much better than the 172 was. I will reserve full judgement on it until 6 months to a year down the line once it has covered a good few thousand miles.

Engine
I had the common problem on the 172 with the crap idle when cold and the kangaroo effect when first started. So far the 200 has never shown any signs of any similar problems. The car seems to pull well in every single gear although still revs high in 6th. I havent taken it to full revs yet as its still in its running in period but so far so good with it, I think the 200 is a bit more forgiving than the 172 if you try to put your foot down in the wrong gear. You dont always need to drive near the 5k revs.

Handling
Due to weather conditions up here not had a chance to push the car too hard. What I will say is the 200 fills me with so much more confidence than the 172 ever did. The car feels planted all the time and you can sense when you are starting to over do things in it. I had the back end step out on me once on a bumpy road covered in black ice and it was very easy to correct it. Ride is a little harsh with the cup packs but not uncomfortable and certainly not something to comlain about.

Fuel
The 200 drunk its first £10 of fuel in 20 miles driving out the showroom, tbh I crapped myself thinking it was always going to be as bad. I am now averaging early 30mpg and would expect it to get slightly better once its run in but hey its a hot hatch I wouldnt expect it to be ecenomical but its not all that bad either.

Overall
The 200 had a lot to live up to in my eyes in that I wanted something fun but reasonably practical. does it? Yes in every way I cant help just get in the car for a drive, from the driving position in the recaros, to the smaller steering wheel and the planted feel of the car it has me smilling every time I drive it. Ok the front end is a bit marmite and I will admit I am still not sold on the front of it but if you can get over that you will have a bawl in the car. The exhaust note is addictive on it aswell pops and has a nice note from it aswell. Am I glad I bought it? No doubt I am with absolutely no regrets

cheers

LY R26
shouldve bought it from me TBH

but hey i saw it in town the other night and it looks great.

RB is the colour for the 200

GTD, Lupo
Nice write up :D im just coming up to 7000 now and its still the same as the day i got it! Enjoy it.

Paul

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Pm Moby he'll take good snaps.

interesting review. wouldnt mind a wee vid of the exhaust in a drive by

Clio 200 Black and White
I've only driven the 200 for 45 minutes so far (on the test drive), but my experiences tally with yours.

What hit me first was the steering - it seemed heavier than my Trophy's, and you immediately notice the faster rack, which makes more of a difference than the 7.5% would have you beleive.

The wheel doesn't skit around in your hands like the Trophy's either, possibly because of the clever front hub arrangement. Some would call that less feelsome, but actually it just feels more secure and capable. I think it'll be much easier to turn into a corner and you'll be able to react more cleanly to any oversteer than you could with the older cars.

The build quality was a real shocker though - just so much better than the 1*2's, almost Golf GTi like by comparison. They're quite a bit bigger and more practical, far more refined, well specced and just such good value for money.

I couldn't get a definitive answer to the question of which is faster in a straight line though - any thoughts there yet?

I didn't noticed any popping for the exhaust though, can you confirm that? I used to love that in my mini and would be was something I really missed when I swapped over to the Renaults (actually it was about the only thing I missed).

What is the run-in procedure by the way? Mine arrives at the end of Jan, can't wait!

GW RS200
I agree about the build quality Kenny, the way the door shuts aswell, it feels "right" lol

+1

I nearly fell over the first time I pushed the door closed on mine! It shuts with a well engineered, heavy sounding, damped thunk. Makes the 172 feel like you were pulling a piece of sheet steel closed!

Clio 200
Run in procedure is no revs over 3-3.5k for the first 1500 miles and not exceed 70mph (i think) in top gear for any length of time.

I agree about the steering feel and I found myself oversteering the car at first until I got used to it but I dont think it dulls the drive at all.

As for what is faster in a straight line, No thoughts there yet, The feel of the 2 cars are completely different, In the 172 if you were doing say 70mph you knew you were doing 70mph with the road noise, rattles etc it felt fast. But as the 200 is so much better built and quieter inside it is easy to over look the speed you are actually doing from that its hard to judge exactly what is faster.

If I can get someone to record the car then I will post a vid, But the exhaust defo does pop and tbh it is addictive lol. The note from the car is great.

I've only driven the 200 for 45 minutes so far (on the test drive), but my experiences tally with yours.

What hit me first was the steering - it seemed heavier than my Trophy's, and you immediately notice the faster rack, which makes more of a difference than the 7.5% would have you beleive.

The wheel doesn't skit around in your hands like the Trophy's either, possibly because of the clever front hub arrangement. Some would call that less feelsome, but actually it just feels more secure and capable. I think it'll be much easier to turn into a corner and you'll be able to react more cleanly to any oversteer than you could with the older cars.

The build quality was a real shocker though - just so much better than the 1*2's, almost Golf GTi like by comparison. They're quite a bit bigger and more practical, far more refined, well specced and just such good value for money.

I couldn't get a definitive answer to the question of which is faster in a straight line though - any thoughts there yet?

I didn't noticed any popping for the exhaust though, can you confirm that? I used to love that in my mini and would be was something I really missed when I swapped over to the Renaults (actually it was about the only thing I missed).

What is the run-in procedure by the way? Mine arrives at the end of Jan, can't wait!

Clio 200 Black and White
ah man, 1500 miles below 3500 RPM and 70mph? That's going to be painful!

Get a video of that exhaust popping asap, must sound awesome!

Door handle in the wrong place?

Do you have the Yellow interior kit by the way?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Just to let you know, there are a couple of known issues with the MK3 PH2. One of them being the wiper motors. Flick the right and stalk all the way down on mine and they keep stopping mid wipe. Which is dangerous.

Clio 200
ah man, 1500 miles below 3500 RPM and 70mph? That's going to be painful!

Get a video of that exhaust popping asap, must sound awesome!

Door handle in the wrong place?

Do you have the Yellow interior kit by the way?

The door handles that far forward that you feel as if you are trying to pull the door card off to shut the door, rather than be in the middle of the door where it would make more sense.

No, All my trim is black

Clio 200 Black and White
ah ok, didn't notice that on the test drive!

What colour are the sides of your rear headrests?

What colour are your seat belts?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The door handles are the only thing i could say are a bit of a pain in the arse, the weight distribution isnt even enough :eek:

A minor gripe to a great car!

GTD, Lupo
Run in period is 625 miles and try to keep it below 3k revs. The engine has already done about 1k on a test bed and the bed in period is mainly for the gear box and other stuff that wouldn't have been run on the test bed.

Paul

Clio 200
ah ok, didn't notice that on the test drive!

What colour are the sides of your rear headrests?

What colour are your seat belts?

Side of the headrests are white in the back anyways, recaros in the front which are yellow

Seatbelts are silver

Clio 200 Black and White
ah ok, I was informed that the sides of the rear headrests would be yellow when the Recaro option is specified. Good to hear that they are actually white - will suit my GW very nicely!

Get that Video of the exhaust sorted! :D

GW RS200
Done 800 miles in mine now and frequently use all the revs, but never had it pop! How do you manage that?! Agreed, the door handles are much too far forward and take a lot of pull to get closed!

Clio 200 Black and White
I used plenty of revs on my test drive too (never buy a demo model!) but couldn't get any popping out of it.

Anyone else experienced the popping or does Kenny's have a special state of tune?