ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4WS Clio

Oh its on :D

rearrack.jpg

Remapped Super-Hicas controller to get it up and running before moving the whole car onto an SQ6M.

Just need to design some rear uprights now. Going to aim for a bolt on to a standard rear beam although I may need to shortern the standard rear beam to fit it all in. Upright will bolt to the beam itself with a hub carrier suspended off it via a Saxo VTS lower ball joint and a 197 cup ball joint. Hub carrier will carry the standard stub axle. Should push the rear track out by around 15mm in total.

Rack will be mounted on the rear beam via a simple sub frame. With shorterned R33 steering arms and rose jointed TRE's.

Total rear steer will be circa 1.1 degrees.

Cheers
M

Oh its on :D

rearrack.jpg

Remapped Super-Hicas controller to get it up and running before moving the whole car onto an SQ6M.

Just need to design some rear uprights now. Going to aim for a bolt on to a standard rear beam although I may need to shortern the standard rear beam to fit it all in. Upright will bolt to the beam itself with a hub carrier suspended off it via a Saxo VTS lower ball joint and a 197 cup ball joint. Hub carrier will carry the standard stub axle. Should push the rear track out by around 15mm in total.

Rack will be mounted on the rear beam via a simple sub frame. With shorterned R33 steering arms and rose jointed TRE's.

Total rear steer will be circa 1.1 degrees.

Cheers
M

Yeah, that's exactly what I was going to suggest. WTF?

:D

In short I'm going to make the rear wheels of the Clio deal with part of the steering effort.

Here's a useful Super-Hicas diagram:

laurel9908_haicas.gif

Cheers
M

Should be interesting especially when inside wheel is 3 inches off the black stuff.
;)

And as such has no influence on the directional stability of the car regardless. The loaded wheel will still steer as requried.

If you wanted to really optimise it you'd mount the rack to the boot floor and put a pivot in the centre of the rear beam and ball joint the beam mounts to give a semi IRS setup.

Cheers
M

rps13
''Most people who hate HICAS have either had a system that is faulty (and with cars that are now 10-15 years old it's only to be expected) or they do not understand what's going on. The system is actually hugely complex and uses various input signals to do various things with the rear wheels. Whilst there is fierce speculation on exactly what HICAS does, one of the common opinions is that after about 40-50mph is reached it will give the rear wheels a few degrees of turn in to a corner (to aid car turn-in feel) then will steer the same way as the front to aid cornering. It is only by a maximum of a few degrees though.

When drifting, the main problem is if you are driving the car around about the speed that triggers HICAS, it can then have a small but interfering effect. In 'fast road' use though, most people tend to find it useful and it works as Nissan intended, and for high speed steering stability it is amazing''

Renaultsport 220T
And as such has no influence on the directional stability of the car regardless. The loaded wheel will still steer as requried.

If you wanted to really optimise it you'd mount the rack to the boot floor and put a pivot in the centre of the rear beam and ball joint the beam mounts to give a semi IRS setup.

Cheers
M

Shopping_Trolley.jpg
+ LSD?

How on earth can you say that Super-Hicas is "dog turd"? Just because by design it doesn't aid driving a car sideways doesn't make it "dog turd". The electricaly actuated racks are also very light and respond just as quick as a hydraulic system without the associated losses.

Cheers
M

ITB'd MK1
How on earth can you say that Super-Hicas is "dog turd"? Just because by design it doesn't aid driving a car sideways doesn't make it "dog turd". The electricaly actuated racks are also very light and respond just as quick as a hydraulic system without the associated losses.

Cheers
M

doesn't aid driving sideways? Where did i mention drifting?The problem is it makes the back wobble all over the place. I dont Drift BTW, but i have worked on more than a few Nissans.

If it makes the back 'wobble all over the place' then its broken, you should be able to feel it working though - some people do find this a bit disconcerting, a case of having to trust the driver aid. On any of the Nismo projects I've been involved in we never removed the Hicas unless the series regs banned active rear suspension elements. We did run our own calibration for it though and didn't use the standard controllers, principle was the same as the road going version though.

Cheers
M

Lionel Richie
Lord Icarus can i suggest removing one's motorsport engineering hat for a second and suggest employing some decent drivers (Tony Hunter, Yoz, Evogone, the "R", bonjour i speaken zee german, etc)

Titanium 182
I only clocked on to what this was in the last sentence of the OP's first post Lol.

I was like o_O Wtf ?!

Lord Icarus can i suggest removing one's motorsport engineering hat for a second and suggest employing some decent drivers (Tony Hunter, Yoz, Evogone, the "R", bonjour i speaken zee german, etc)

You have to remember I'm a rubbish driver though so need to get with the engineering shiz just to keep up with those above - engineering my way out of a lack of talent so to speak ;)

Cheers
M

Megane Mk4
Interesting concept to try on a lowly Clio, I like some of the others will look forward to seeing this done and your reports as to how it handles afterwards.

Good luck in the project. :approve: