ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4th gear crunch

197 black 57 plate
Just bought a 197 and it crunches going into 4th , I can easily drive without 4th so will it be ok if I carry on driving without using 4th ?
Thank you

BG Clio 182
Oh s**t lol. That's going to be dear. You do know the woes with the 197 box? If it's from a garage I'd probably try send it back. It's gonna need a rebuild I would say

Clio 200t
Yeah unfortunately the synchros are made of chocolate. As above if bought from a dealer then it will still be warranted if you've only just bought it.

197 black 57 plate
Yeah unfortunately the synchros are made of chocolate. As above if bought from a dealer then it will still be warranted if you've only just bought it.
I bought it private and thought it was too cheap and this is why , just need to know if it's all ok if I just drive it and don't use 4th and all other gears are fine and all feel good

197 black 57 plate
I bought it private and thought it was too cheap and this is why , just need to know if it's all ok if I just drive it and don't use 4th and all other gears are fine and all feel good
It didn't really feel that bad in low revs when I bought it and also never realised how much it would cost to repair , yes call me an idiot for buying it but I'm now stuck with it unfortunately

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
It didn't really feel that bad in low revs when I bought it and also never realised how much it would cost to repair , yes call me an idiot for buying it but I'm now stuck with it unfortunately

It only really happens in the high revs, how bad is the crunch? I've heard of people running them for years with a little crunch with no problems.

Learn to heel and toe now before it gets worse

197 black 57 plate
It's only a little crunch , it goes into gear easy just doesn't flow in like all the other gears , the gear box does feel good apart from that gear , I am planning on getting it fix just need to know if it's ok to drive it like this for a few weeks as I'm not using 4th just going from 3rd to 5th which is fine
Thank you for helping

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
It's only a little crunch , it goes into gear easy just doesn't flow in like all the other gears , the gear box does feel good apart from that gear , I am planning on getting it fix just need to know if it's ok to drive it like this for a few weeks as I'm not using 4th just going from 3rd to 5th which is fine
Thank you for helping

It'll be fine to use fourth tbh.

You said it's not noticeable in low revs, the crunch is only meant to happen above 5k?

197 black 57 plate
It'll be fine to use fourth tbh.it is a crunch but not a real bad one and in low revs I was concerned at the way it went into gear like it's not smooth , thank you so much for you help

You said it's not noticeable in low revs, the crunch is only meant to happen above 5k?

PH2 172

I would change the gearbox oil to get rid any swarth,so there is no further damage to the internals.
Learn how to double de clutch when engaging 4th untill you can afford a box rebuild ,if finance is your immediate problem.
You should have bought a well loved/sorted 182/172.

182cup & 172 racecar
Thanks for the link but I'm not a paid member as of yet so can't open the link , is it possible you could tell me the price and location of this box please ?
CLIO 197/200 Refurbished 031 gearbox

I have had this refurbished with new 3rd and 4th so is good to go, I fitted one of their refurbished boxes for the last round of the Michelin Clio Road series a few week's ago and it was faultless and I put the car on Pole in both races.
I have been racing in the Michelin Clio Road series now for the last 2 years (I finished 2nd overall in 2014 & 2nd again this year)
This gearbox was a brand new unit from Renault as a warranty when I got the car (receipts to prove, the picture is obviously the box I am selling and I haven't even cleaned it so you can see the condition of it compared to other boxes which have been removed from breakers etc.) and I have only used this for around 1000 miles, when I brought the car it only had 30.000 miles so this was a low mile car and then had the warrantied box fitted, so the box hasn't done a lot anyway.
i didn't use the box last year but the box I had fitted gave me problems so I refitted this box for a test day and it seemed to have a little resistance going into 3rd, not crunching but I think on its way so I sent it off to be fully refurbed , it has now been returned with new 3/4 gears and syncros so is a low mile box with the new syncros,so will be better than any you see for sale.
I may consider remove/refit for who ever buys at a cost to be discussed/arranged which could hopefully be done on the same day? This would need to be arranged in advance.

Refurbished Renault Warrantied gearbox 031

PRICE £450 on a non exchange basis, you keep your old boX

182cup & 172 racecar
nicfred's box

• CLIO 197/200 Refurbished 031 gearbox

I have had this refurbished with new 3rd and 4th so is good to go, I fitted one of their refurbished boxes for the last round of the Michelin Clio Road series a few week's ago and it was faultless and I put the car on Pole in both races.
    I have been racing in the Michelin Clio Road series now for the last 2 years (I finished 2nd overall in 2014 & 2nd again this year)
    This gearbox was a brand new unit from Renault as a warranty when I got the car (receipts to prove, the picture is obviously the box I am selling and I haven't even cleaned it so you can see the condition of it compared to other boxes which have been removed from breakers etc.) and I have only used this for around 1000 miles, when I brought the car it only had 30.000 miles so this was a low mile car and then had the warrantied box fitted, so the box hasn't done a lot anyway.
    i didn't use the box last year but the box I had fitted gave me problems so I refitted this box for a test day and it seemed to have a little resistance going into 3rd, not crunching but I think on its way so I sent it off to be fully refurbed , it has now been returned with new 3/4 gears and syncros so is a low mile box with the new syncros,so will be better than any you see for sale.
    I may consider remove/refit for who ever buys at a cost to be discussed/arranged which could hopefully be done on the same day? This would need to be arranged in advance.

Refurbished Renault Warrantied gearbox 031

PRICE £450 on a non exchange basis, you keep your old boX

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Re: your knocking from the rear. Mk3's have an issue with the bootlids and the catch. Do a search and you'll find a few threads on it.
Simple trick is to put a thickish layer of electrical tape around the catch in the boot, as the latch becomes loose over time.

197 black 57 plate
Re: your knocking from the rear. Mk3's have an issue with the bootlids and the catch. Do a search and you'll find a few threads on it.
Simple trick is to put a thickish layer of electrical tape around the catch in the boot, as the latch becomes loose over time.
Tried that today and boot was solid and still a knocking from rear , sounds like the exhaust against the diffuser , any body experience this ?