ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3rd party insurance question

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Me and 2 friends are considering getting a wee track car this year but Ive been wondering about the insurance.

We dont have anyway to trailer a car to a track so it would need to be driven. I have cover on my policy which allows me to drive any car with the owners permission with 3rd party cover. Would this be legal when the car isnt insured through anyone?

Or would it be better to see which one of us can get the cheapest quote for 3rd party (not even 3rd party, fire and theft) and that person could drive it there. Do mods need to be declared when its not a fully comp policy, Ive heard before on this forum they dont but would like confirmation.

Also is Track day insurance worth on what will basically be a few hundred pound nippy sh*tter?!!

Cheers for any help
John

BMW 120i Sport

Some things to consider John that ive had to chew over myself:

- try adding the car to your policy temporarily. Admiral let me insure an additional car for a week at a time, i did this when i was running the Fez and the 182. Basically i only insured the Fez when i needed it for a week at a time. Saved me a packet! Quick call sorted it out. Failing that, how about getting someone in a cheap insurance bracket to insure it / add to their policy and get them to drive the car to the track and take your Clio home?

- dont see why your third party extension wouldnt be ok, although you would have to check that with the insurers.

- wouldnt imagine you can get out of paying track day insurance at all, remember its not just about the cheap stripped car youre running, but what if you hit someones £30k Evo 8 and injure someone? Imagine not being insured in that circumstance.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Good points Gaz.

Just at the thinking out the practicalties of it all just now. My uncle may be intrested as well so a 41 year old should get cheap insurance!

Any ideas how much track day cover tends to be?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

John, Trackday cover tends to be 1% of the value of the car, and then 3 times your normal excess. If your car is worth f**k all, then fook all to insure it.

You dont have to be insured on the track if you hit someone then its there problem if you crash your car then you have to pay. You only insure your car for a track.

Im not bothering insuring my car for the track its just not worth it Ivce paid about £00 on insurance over the past year or so and its just not worth it there usually tones of run off and if the cars only worth a few quid why bother.

Track cover is usually 1% the value of the item being insured with a £500 excess but there a minimu of £70 or so premium anyway.
For your 3rd party cover to be valid you often need the car insured with someone else and its only 3rd party thefts arnt covered. Best add it to your dads polisy etc or get him to insure it and then drive it 3rd party on your own policy.
If your using it for track work strip it to death no need for a dash or heater or interier for track cars they only slow you down.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Cheers Edde.

IS it not possible for the person you hit to sue you for the damage then?

Oh dont worry about it being stripped down, everything will be off or out, rev counter, steering wheel and seat! No need for anything else.

Quote: Originally posted by EvilJohn on 03 May 2005
Cheers Edde.IS it not possible for the person you hit to sue you for the damage then?Oh dont worry about it being stripped down, everything will be off or out, rev counter, steering wheel and seat! No need for anything else.

Why do you need a rev counter learn by ear when to change? The amound of spare weight some peple leave is amazing like rear wipers and associated electrics.

Its very very unlikly anyone will hit you on a track day the organisers dont let anyone who is stupid like that on the track for long. When you sign on at track days you have to sign saying you acccept there terms and condition (least I think its says that Ive never read them).

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Yeah Im not too worried about being hit, its more say something breaks and I slide into someones brand new evo, what happens then, can they sue me?

Tbh id be surprised if it had glass in all the windows and the door internals left in it, if it aint structural itll be out the car!

Thanks for all the advice

Quote: Originally posted by EvilJohn on 03 May 2005
Yeah Im not too worried about being hit, its more say something breaks and I slide into someones brand new evo, what happens then, can they sue me?Tbh id be surprised if it had glass in all the windows and the door internals left in it, if it aint structural itll be out the car!Thanks for all the advice

Nope they cannot do anything track day insurance is down to owners. Thats the good thing in some ways about track days.

You wont hit anyone elses car though dont worry.

I think its one of those situations that if you hit an evo nothing more would happen. Cant see how they could sue you unless it was deliberate? Just unlucky, but im sure if you took an evo out on the track you would make sure you were insured. Just the same when doing a race. Say sorry then walk away and hope you dont get thumped!