ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2001 Clio 1.6 16v accessory belt change guide

2001 Clio 1.6 16v
Hi,

Not sure if this has been done already, but might be useful....Can someone just double check this and note any edits required. Ta.

Summary:-

• How long? Allow 4-6 hours.
  • Special tools required? Nope.
  • Accessory belt cost? Renault full kit (belt, tensioner & idler pulley) £44.56
  • Should I have the Haynes manual? I would say yes.
  • Will I swear and skin my knuckles? Yep ;)
Tools required:-

• 13mm ring spanner (usual open-ended/ring spanner)
  • Large flat blade screwdriver
  • Medium pliers
  • 13mm socket
  • 10mm socket
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • Small 'Stardrive' kit
What needs to be removed to gain access (to make it easier):-

• Offside front wheel
  • Front bumper
  • Offside headlight
  • Alternator
HOWTO:-

• Slacken the offside wheelnuts
  • Jack up the offside of the car and support it on an axle stand
  • Undo the two bolts on the plastic splashguard/forward undertray
  • Remove the offside wheel
  • Unpop the offside inner wheel arch liner (pull the large 'penny' type fasteners) to reveal both the lower belt run, gain a bit of access and to get at the bumper bolt.
  • Unpop the nearside inner wheel arch liner
  • Unplug the nearside wiring harness that connects to the bumper foglights (if fitted). Check there's no similar connection to the offside (just in case).
  • Working underneath, just forward of the roadwheels there is a plastic vent type of flap, secured by two star drive bolts. Remove the bolts on both sides and pull the flap down.
  • Remove the phillips screws on the edges of both wings.
  • Using a torch from underneath, where the flaps and undershield have been displaced (you may need to move them further away), look up towards the inside of the wing and you should see a bolt - remove these bumper securing bolts on each side (one on each side).
  • Pop the bonnet up and remove the two plastic bolts near each headlight that secure the plastic bumper 'infill' grill.
  • Get a helper to support the bumper and gently pull the bumper away from each wing and the bumper should easily come away. If not, check for attached bolts and wiring.
  • Remove the single upper bolt and the two lower bolts of the offside headlight and gently pull it forward to get better access to its wiring loom. Disconnect the loom on it and completely withdraw it.
  • Be prepared for sarcastic neighbour comments with all these bits on your lawn now...
  • Note how the belt is routed and also note which (if any) groove is unused on all the pulleys (depends on whether you have air-con or not). For me, with air-con, the inner groove on all pulleys is unused. The belt should run straight on the same grooves of all pulleys.
  • At this point, I cut my belt on its lower run to remove it and not worry about messing with the existing tensioner.
  • Got the radio code? Then disconnect the battery negative lead and then remove the two wires on the alternator (thick red wire, and small connector block wire).
  • Remove the alternator by undoing the bolts (3 on mine) and it will just go through a hole in the metalwork at the front.
  • Note the tensioner orientation and remove it by undoing the two 13mm bolts with the socket or spanner, as you prefer, from underneath and above.
  • Using the 13mm ring spanner, remove the bolt on the idler pulley and eek out the pulley wheel (it's tight there). I maneuvered the spanner in from near where the alternator was.
  • Put the new tensioner and idler on, but don't remove the split pin that comes fitted to the tensioner yet.
  • Put the alternator back on.
  • Using your notes put the new belt on and make sure its run is straight depending on which groove (if any) is unused on your model. Check the belt does not foul on any pulley body or bolt. If it does you've probably got it set on the wrong grooves.
  • When you're absolutely sure the belt is on the right grooves and runs straight, use the large flat blade screwdriver and lever back the tensioner between its body (not the pulley wheel) and it's lower bolt (work from underneath the car). This will release the tension and allow you to pull the split pin out with a pair of pliers. Don't let the tensioner flick back, keep the screwdriver in place and allow it to gently take up the slack.
  • Reconnect the alternator and battery connections.
  • Start the car and check the belt is ok. Don't go near it when it's running - my mate lost his finger in a fanbelt maze!
  • Switch off and make sure the tension is ok (belt should be taught on its longest run), and check again the belt run is straight and still does not foul on any bolt or pulley body.
  • Put the headlight, bumper, splashguard/undertray and inner arch liners back on (the proverbial reversal of the above). Oh and the wheel too...
  • You're done!
Regards,
Matt

Clio 1.6 16v 2000
might jus be the way i do things.... but cutting off the original belt is a bit kwik-fit style. at least if u remove it in one u can refit it if uve been presented with the wrong bits, or compare lengths to the new belt? each to their own i suppose tho