ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2000 mile Epic Scottish Highland Roadtrip!

Last year I did 2000 miles around the Alps and Nurburgring which was amazing, but this year I decided to go closer to home – the Scottish Highlands!

It was a last minute trip so it ended up just being me and the 182 which was fine, meant I could drive as much as I wanted and I tried my best!

It was a great sunny day until I got to Scotland surprise, surprise! I headed up past Loch Lomond and then over the moors towards Fort William passing Glencoe:

TheThreeSisters3.jpg

I stayed in Corran Ferry, fantastic place and headed down the Ardnamurchan Peninsula on roads with views like these:

NearGlenborrodaleArdnamurchan15.jpg

…and eventually got to a deserted beach:

ViewpointnearSalen11.jpg

The second day was an early start to head to the Isle of Skye. I headed up towards Kyle of Lochalsh passing scenery like this:

LochCluanie2.jpg

When I got onto the amazing Isle of Skye, I took a detour to a place called Elgol. Anyone going to Skye should definitely drive down this road, it’s like being Sebastien Loeb and there is barely any traffic at all!

NearTorrinIsleofSkye1.jpg

NearTorrinIsleofSkye5.jpg

And the best road sign you’ll ever see:
AllowOvertaking.jpg

The rest of the day was spent being a hooligan around the Isle of Skye. Driving in Scotland is so much different to anywhere else, people pull over to let you through, indicate if it is safe to pass and enjoy seeing nice cars come flying past! There were some amazing roads and incredible views on Skye of course. A couple of places to check out, Quirang and the road north of Staffin to the remote villages of Northern Skye, incredible!

NeistPointIsleofSkye10.jpg

NeistPointIsleofSkye11.jpg

OldManofStorr2.jpg

Quirang3.jpg

LubScoreIsleofSkye5.jpg

Day 3 and I took inspiration from this route; http://www.stevecarter.com/bestuk.htm and what a spectacular drive! It follows the coastal road from Plockton towards Ullapool with views like these:

LochCarron2.jpg

It also meant taking what is arguably the best road in the UK; the road to Applecross! If you head over the tops, the road looks like this:

ApplecrossPass1.jpg

…and if you head along the coast you have 25 miles of virtually deserted coastal rally stage. Epic!

ApplecrossRoad.jpg

I then headed across the country through Inverness and ended up in Aviemore where I found some snow!

CairngormVisitorCentre5.jpg

I was meant to head home on the Sunday morning, but decided that work didn’t need me on Monday so I rang in sick and turned right around to do more of those same incredible roads for another 2 days :)

I followed the amazing road from Inverness to Ullapool across deserted moors:

DesertedhousenearGarve2.jpg

DesertedhousenearGarve4.jpg

Then north of Ullapool to a place called Ardmair, spectacular! I also found a new house, but it might need work!

Ardmair1.jpg

Ardmair3.jpg

A few more stunning views including this stunning spot for a bit of lunch:

Tarskavaig1.jpg

HousenearSheildaig.jpg

OntheroadbacktoTorridon-Copy.jpg

NearBroadford5.jpg

Back across the Applecross road of course but in the rain yet again!

TheApplecrossRoad.jpg

The last day involved visiting an old family friend and taking a look at how their garden is coming along! (6500 acre garden that is!)

LochDochart11.jpg

On the way home I saw my new favourite car.

Gleneagles2.jpg

Wish I could have borrowed that for a week of honing, but the 182 was pretty much ideal for this trip. Good fun on the tight twisties, enough power to overtake the slow tourist traffic and comfortable on the long motorway drag there and back. Anyone considering Scotland, just do it! Amazing roads, great driving standards and spectacular scenery. I’ve even got rid of a few of those annoying midges for you:

Midges1.jpg

I also managed some quite decent figures:

Days: 6, Miles: 2190, MPG: 37.9, Gallons used: 56, average speed 45mph! I was quite scared by my credit card bill for the fuel when I got back - £312! – all worth it though!

S2000
Awesome pics! Some of the pictures in Skye are a mile or two from my family home turf, up at the north end - brilliant place.

I'm off to Skye, Lewis and Harris camping with a few mates in a couple of weeks - can't wait atm tbh.

Brilliant Trip. Would you be able to plot it on Google Maps for me?

I'm heading to John O'Groats at the end of June and want to drive some decent roads en route.

Cheers

Brilliant Trip. Would you be able to plot it on Google Maps for me?

Cheers

I can plot most of it on Google Maps (well someone else can ;)) - http://www.stevecarter.com/bestuk.htm

I would recommend going out of Glasgow over the Erskine Bridge (guess you probably know this area ;)), up the A82 past Loch Lomond and north to Fort William. A82 and A87 up to Kyle of Lochalsh then onto the Isle of Skye (anywhere you go on Skye seems to be either flowing A road or twisting rally stage B road!) Then back to Kyle and follow the route on the link above. From Ullapool you can follow the coast to John O Groats (about 120 miles ish) which is meant to be fantastic.