ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 MOT Failure

Clio Sport 200 (09)
Had the 200 in for an MOT last saturday, had a little noise just start from the front driver wheel on the way there and has failed on excessive play on lower suspension ball joint..... oppss luckily covered under warranty but the part is going to take 7-10 days and they've told me i can't drive it, so i'm getting little 1L clio or corsa courtesy car, you would think the car would be like for like..... like maybe new clio sport? not..... shame,

Not sure if anyone else in MK3 is getting this as a common problem?

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Quite interesting this.

My brothers Twingo 133 failed its first MOT on the ball joints. Wonder if they have the same ones.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
My car squeeks terribley from my front drivers side wheel. Always assumed I had a stuck pad or something, ao rubbed them down etc and still does it. Wonder if its the same thing! How kuch are these to buy out of interest?

Audi A5
I had this problem.

If the car is under warrenty their replace the hole swivel hub which is about £150- £200 just for the part.

But if your car isn't under warrenty you can take the cheaper option like I did and buy just the ball joint direct from R-sport for £50. Then your left with fitting it, which can be a very expensive job.

Clio Sport 200 (09)
My car squeeks terribley from my front drivers side wheel. Always assumed I had a stuck pad or something, ao rubbed them down etc and still does it. Wonder if its the same thing! How kuch are these to buy out of interest?

It was more a grinding noise when I was doing three point turn, sounds like if I was turning the wheel on a stone tbh.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Ah right, sounds different to mine. Mines when driving straight, i get a squeak, like squeaky brakes, but without braking. Odd really, I'm planning on putting up with it until I'm back at 519

Audi A5
Yh that sounds like the pads are touch against the disc even though your not applying pressure, mine squeak sometimes when I'm gently braking, it's very annoying.

Trying jet jet washing your brakes, sometimes that stops it.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Its not, make sure the pads are filled down on the edges and that the calliper itself is clear (I personally use a very fine file to de-crud the pad guide ledge).

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
As mick has said.

I also always make sure that the pads move free in the caliper with the pistons pushed back.

Ive had new pads tight fitting, so now I always clean off the coating on the edge of the pads, the part that touches the caliper.

Clio 197
Just had mine done. Couldn't get a ball joint so it was a whole hub carrier job. £312! You'll be pleased you've got a warranty. Just to clarify, the ball joint noise is the really loud grinding creak when you're maneuvering.

Audi A5
Good read mate funny looking at what you've done seems all mk3 go through the same things break discs, rear window seals, springs, now the ball joint,

Yeah lucky for me I work for Renault so I can fit the parts myself and I get the parts cheap, otherwise it would of cost me a fortune!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Its not, make sure the pads are filled down on the edges and that the calliper itself is clear (I personally use a very fine file to de-crud the pad guide ledge).

As mick has said.

I also always make sure that the pads move free in the caliper with the pistons pushed back.

Ive had new pads tight fitting, so now I always clean off the coating on the edge of the pads, the part that touches the caliper.

Hmm. Sorry about the hyjacking of the thread, but Im going up to 519 in either December or March. Would it be able to wait until then or chnace of breaking something (ie the disk :/) ?

And before its asked, I have 0 mechanical knowledge, and won't mess with brakes myself lol

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'd get to Dan asap. Ita not dangerous but its damaging your brakes (discs and pads) which on the 197/200 are not cheap.

Lack of proper maintenance is the biggest killer of front brakes on these cars

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I'd get to Dan asap. Ita not dangerous but its damaging your brakes (discs and pads) which on the 197/200 are not cheap.

Lack of proper maintenance is the biggest killer of front brakes on these cars

I'll give him a ring tomorrow. Hopefully its not expensive! Will get my squeaky clutch addressed too lol - Cheers guys

172, Tiguan
Rsport are out of stick on the balljoints at the mo apparently. I'm not sure why it's such an expensive job though - remove, press out, replace and then refit. I guess it's the labour?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Labour and its an aluminium hub. Its a porous and fragile material and you risk it cracking/fatiguing especially if you apply some heat.

172, Tiguan
It seems to be the excepted way to replace though? It's only renault themselves that would rather you replaced the whole hub.

Audi A5
The only reason Renault replace the hole hub is because they can't get hold of the ball joint on its own. If they listed it they would just change that. Silly really.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yeah but why change a £50 component and charge 3 times the labour when they can charge £300 for the part and 2hrs labour... more money for them and easier for the fitter.

Audi A5
It doesn't take hardly any longer to press the ball joint out and in, it's striping it down that takes the time.