ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197's/200's really that bad on fuel

clio 172 cup
as above been looking at getting another clio seen a few nice 182's but ive also seen a few nice 197's and 200's for a couple k more just wondering what are they like to drive which is the best of the 2 or infact 3 and are they as bad on fuel as some people say?
many thanks

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
The best model on the 197 is the R27-

They are great cars, you just have to have your eyes open- Gearbox / steering & brakes are the weak points- ( plus recaro wear)

If you get a 197 try & get spec-
Cup pack
Climate

Projector lights-

As above with the 200s.
S

Countryman JCW
I think when people say they arent that great on fuel, its because people are comparing them to 1*2's. 1*2's are better on fuel and are pretty much exactly the same performance wise.

clio 172 cup
well in my old cup i got 35mpg with a heavy foot few threads i see poeple say they struggle to get mid 20's at best

L-Y Clio 197 F1
the problem is normally the driver. I've got the 197 f1 and could get 'decent' mpg if i could stop driving like a tit on the dual carriageways at midnight -_- I will admit though, there's so many cars out there that have a megaton more power for the same mpg..

172 cup (again)
For me they are bad on fuel as my 197 cup was thirstier than my old 300bhp mk1 Focus RS and that was whether driving around town or on the motorway - it did my head in so much I got rid of the 197 and got a 172 cup again. I couldn't justify the mpg figures for the performance when you can have a 172 averaging low 40s on a run compared to low 30s in a 197.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I get 50mpg in my track Cup when I drive it to Knockhill. The 197/200's are faaaar too thirsty. I don't mind thirsty cars if they warrant it but they take the piss. Bearing in mind I had a Mk5 R32 and I've got a 3.0i X5 now.

clio 182 sport
I get an average of 29 mpg in my 182 I dont know how you guys get 40mpg, on a run I can get 35 at best!!

Suzuki Jimny
These threads always confuse me.

The mx5 I had, always averaged 28 and was very slow yet no-one complains about those?

Nimbus 197
Yea its all good saying an m3 gets the same mpg but im sure an m3 is alot more expensive to run as a daily.

LYV6, 182, R5GTT
I filled my 200 up this morning with BP ultimate, came to just over £76 (it was in the red). I then drove from Kent to Shropshire to buy a pair of cup hubs and shafts for my 182 and then drove to Silverstone to watch some Clio action. I was being SUPER conservitave with my driving and on the motorway I was doing no more than 78mph, but the majority of the time I was chilling at 72mph using cruise control. The BEST mpg it returned me was 35.2!

As I left Silverstone, I had covered 359 miles and used 8.4g of fuel from when I left home and the range on the trip was 80 miles till I ran out. I had to fill up at that point as that would be enough to get me home because it was over 100 miles.

All in all I wasn't too impressed with the consumption!

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Average 30 over the last 6000 miles or so. can get 36 mpg at 65 mph on cruise.
People always comapre the 200 to a 172 / 182, but at the end of the day they are very different cars, the 200 is a much nicer place to be, but it depends what driving you do. If you drive it on the back roads occasionally and enjoy what the car is for, then the slight lack of mpg makes up for it imo

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I drive mine like a baby and it shows 28.6mpg but i leave the climate on all the time:) never seen 30 ever :(

Swift Sport
Like the Civic Type-R, they're not terrible on fuel but for a sub 200bhp normally aspirated car they do seem to drink way too much juice.

clio 172 cup
my main thing is the loss in mpg over the 182 worth it for the gains you get owned a 197/200 i.e people dont moan about there m3's evo's ect shocking mpg because there beats my sounds of it the 197 isnt that much better if at all than the 182

Swift Sport
It all depends what you value most in a car dude.

The biggest letdown with the 197 for me personally was the gearbox, it's awful. Despite being the replacement for the 182 the 197 feels very different, so maybe you should find someone who owns one locally and have a proper blast in it.

320d
It's the performance to mpg that upsets people I think. I used to hammer my 182 around and get about 32 mpg.

For a sub 30 mpg car I'd want either boost or more than 4 cylinders.

My MX5 was terrible on fuel and it was slow, as somebody mentioned above. That was a car designed in the late 80's though and not 2009.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I've said it before but the reason they (the 197/200) are regarded so poorly on fuel is because of how closely its compared to the 1*2 which is great on fuel - and the same pace LOL.

Nimbus 197
Strange thing is that someone i know told me he gets 30mpg out of his 172. If i wanted mega mpgz i would of got a german diesel.

clio 172 cup
this isnt a mpg thread on a single car its a comparison of 3 variations of the clio and if the loss in mpg is worth the gain in performance im not arsed about mpg as long as the car is worth it buy sounds of it 197/200 arent

Swift Sport
Just try one dude. I loved mine but I'll admit that the gearbox felt awful, it felt like trying to stir Lego bricks with a stick.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Get a 200. I like them :)
The F1 team 197 is a great specced car though.

I don't think the mpg is a massive issue really.