ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

197 or 1*2

What would you rather have

Votes: 213 41.0%
  • 172/182

Votes: 308 59.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
  tiTTy & SV650
how much weight do u guys think renault could take out of the 197 when they do eventually make the 197.R.
there must be a massive saving on them alloys swapping them for ultraleggras?
extra 20bhp and 100kg less imo will make the best hothatch out.

they'd have to do something pretty radical to get an extra 20bhp out of the engine

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
The 197 is certainly the nicer looking car compared to the 182.:)

However, I've said it before, just wish it wasn't such in an increase in curb weight over the 172/182's. There's no need for it!...are you listening Renault?!!:mad: Take heed!:mad:

FF CLIO 182
Test drove one at the weekend, considered PX'ing my 182.........very dissapointed with it tbh: :dapprove:

Didn't seem to have the same pick up as my 182 and the steering felt light as fook!

Lovely looking car inside and out though don't get me wrong! maybe needed running in, although it did have 8K on clock.....my 182 has 27K

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Gotta love the 197 haters, better car ALL round, FACT.

Close thread, DONE.
Correct. Bar the feel-less steering. And the mpg. And the weight.
Im sure the same argument came about when the 172 came out and every-one was still crazy in love with valvers and williams though, give it time and the next RS clio will come out and the 197 will be the proper drivers car with that 'raw' feeling...

renaultsport clio 197 cup
got a white 197 cup but really like the 2's in black as they look stealthy.never been in a 1 or 2 so i'll say a 3 for now

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
The mpg is worse,the weight is bad and the steering ive also heard is not the most feedback friendly.

However if you like the look of them and can afford it then why not

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Im sure the same argument came about when the 172 came out and every-one was still crazy in love with valvers and williams though, give it time and the next RS clio will come out and the 197 will be the proper drivers car with that 'raw' feeling...

It's not like that argument has changed though.

The Williams is still a better drive than 172's and 182's.

The reason it's not discussed as much is that the number of owners have deminished.

Most members on this site are also too young to have owned a 172/182 & Williams now. Those buying their first hot hatch will automatically go for a 172 so don't have the experience of driving a Williams and so can't compare it.

Bar the weight all I have heard is good things about the handaling and 197. Haven't driven one myself to compare directly though.

White clique
I did like my 182 (and 172) and did feel i could thrash the engine a bit more on the 182, then again my 197 has just hit 11k miles and still feels a bit tight and rigid. I know it will loosen up like a **** soon if i coax it along a bit.

In terms of ownership though... the comfort, the gadgets (yes i have to pay for options, but there are more of them so i end up with a better spec car) the looks and the rarity make the 197 the connoiseurs choice for me. I don't drive around a track everyday, i use it to get to work and back, so the extra refinement and solid more quality feel are important.

And the bit where i simply walk up and the car unlocks... i push the start button and put on the seatbelt as it fires up..... and then the cornering lights "see me home" ... :D

I don't get many boy racers check mine out though, tends to be the older driver or blokes in their 30s with their Mitsi and Elises etc.

Mk3 Clio dynamique SX
I think the older models fall into the saxo, clio, 106, corsa kind of area. The 197 is much more grown up and refined, thats a good thing in my opinion and it can always be tweeqed later on. sitting in a older models feels very small and cramped the new models are more spacious.

Ph 1 172

not really that much in any of the rs clios just all depends if your old and farty go for the 197 for its refined driving lol if you wanna have something that might scare you a few times with faults go for a 182 or 172 depending on what model you prefer the look of.

clio 172
0-60 = 7.2
Power = 172 DIN PS (124kW/166bhp)
Top speed = 139 mph (224 km/h)
power to weight = 160.38 bhp/tonne

clio 182
0-60 = 7.1
Power = 182 DIN PS (131kW/176bhp)
power to weight = 161.46 bhp/tonne

clio 197
0-60 = 6.9
Power = 197 PS (145kW/194bhp)
Top speed = 134 mph (216 km/h)
power to weight = 156.45 bhp/tonne

so its only marginally quicker to 0-60 and better toys with it everything else is worse engine performance wise

Last edited:
  Mustang, S13, AX GT
^Trust me mate when you push the car you can knock the back out and put a smile from ear to ear in the 197, sure enough its more refined than the 172 and doesn't give you a 'kick' at some point in the rev range but the chassis is superb and you can have plenty of fun in the car, and it does feel quick just in a slightly different way. You guys dont really know a raw and slightly pant wetting moment until you take a 16 year old turbo RWD coupe around a roundabout in the wet ;)

ST

not really that much in any of the rs clios just all depends if your old and farty go for the 197 for its refined driving lol if you wanna have something that might scare you a few times with faults go for a 182 or 172 depending on what model you prefer the look of.

clio 172
0-60 = 7.2
Power = 172 DIN PS (124kW/166bhp)
power to weight = 160.38 bhp/tonne

clio 182
0-60 = 7.1
Power = 182 DIN PS (131kW/176bhp)
power to weight = 161.46 bhp/tonne

clio 197
0-60 = 6.9
Power = 197 PS (145kW/194bhp)
Top speed = 134 mph (216 km/h)
power to weight = 156.45 bhp/tonne

so its only marginally quicker to 0-60 and better toys with it everything else is worse engine performance wise

I've had both 182 and now have the R27...i'd never go back..

As said better car all round, FACT.

Suzuki Swift Sport
I had a 197 R27, ive got a 55 plate 182 now with cup packs... I loved the 197, was an awesome car however now I still have a good car but 6k change in my pocket! (not literally haha)

I find I can still have a lot of fun with the 182, just miss the build quality, seats, brakes, gearbox and high speed stability of the 197.

Also I know people say the 197 is refined and very safe feeling - i found you had to just drive it harder and you would then start to really enjoy it!

I had a 197 R27, ive got a 55 plate 182 now with cup packs... I loved the 197, was an awesome car however now I still have a good car but 6k change in my pocket! (not literally haha)

I find I can still have a lot of fun with the 182, just miss the build quality, seats, brakes, gearbox and high speed stability of the 197.

Also I know people say the 197 is refined and very safe feeling - i found you had to just drive it harder and you would then start to really enjoy it!

197 is great even at low speeds, you just have to remember that you dont need to slow down for things like islands, just keep going at 30 :D

White clique
197's ftw!

+1

Its interesting to note that on the "what car do you own" poll, only 3% seem to own a 197 (or mark 3 at least, maybe a 197 needs to be added), which beggers the question how do so many people judge the 197 when they dont own and live with one?

RB 182FF, Saxo Track Car.
I'm just going off the styling really, and the brief experience of sitting in the passenger seat. Obviously I'm not in a position to judge :) lol

+1

Its interesting to note that on the "what car do you own" poll, only 3% seem to own a 197 (or mark 3 at least, maybe a 197 needs to be added), which beggers the question how do so many people judge the 197 when they dont own and live with one?

According to that poll I still own a mk2 ph1 non sport

Megane R26
I've test driven both this week, and have an ST so I'm impartial.

I think the 182 is more fun, and would be my choice for some weekend fun, particularly a Trophy, but as a full time ownership proposition, the 197 is the one to go for.

The build quality, handling, comfort, looks, grip, power delivery... it has it all. But, it's not as much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.