ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 brembo front calipers

phase 1 flamer 172
Can anyone who is using these on a 172 with standard 172 discs tell me how far the caliper sticks out from the disc face.? for spoke not rim. I want to see how much clearance my wheels offer ( non standard)

phase 1 flamer 172
Cheers excellent, forget the make of my wheels but they are not any of the usual fitments.

phase 1 flamer 172
16 inch, I don't want to fit spacers really, hence my question to see if I can get away with out them

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
@105e and @Panda

These are Meg 225 calipers (same as 197 I believe) and I run 15s on mine, and they are tight. They are signicantly less tight on my standard 16s;

eacc58c2e80d5281b204d7ab82e37422.jpg

From measuring disc face to edge of caliper, it seems to be circa 6 cm. I'd allow 6.5 cm to be safe.

f53c3e2921679b448ee8e98f75ee9b03.jpg

It is worth noting though, that I have had the calipers professionally machined down on the outer edges here top and bottom;

adf224bd3f25d23c9f7e323c0a00418d.jpg

b50061b87e549d69f87a5e8d61e33629.jpg

And I also had them machined where they mount on the brackets. I need to run 16mm spacers for them to clear on 15 inch Speedline Williams wheels.

I know you can run 15 inch Td 1.2 without problems on lower spacers, circa 10mm I believe, although @Ph1 Tom can confirm.

Hope that helps.

phase 1 flamer 172
Damm I couldn't wait, I had to order the adapter brackets from pure, and the brembos (which thankfully I haven't ordered) wont fit without spacers, which I wont use. Any body want to buy a new unused set of adapter brackets.

@105e
Damm I couldn't wait, I had to order the adapter brackets from pure, and the brembos (which thankfully I haven't ordered) wont fit without spacers, which I wont use. Any body want to buy a new unused set of adapter brackets.

I may be interested if you still have them at the end of next week.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
For anyone searching this thread in the future I have found that with 300mm discs, 15mm spacers and Trophy ET45 Turinis the wheels weights foul the caliper. I had to get them rebalanced and have the weights moved onto the center of the wheel which involved many more weights. It would clear if you had 20mm spacers though.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Imgur photo hosting is on a go slow... so will post some other pics whilst waiting.
Here are my original 406 brembos with 300mm discs
5yQ74uJ.jpg

Then decided to buy some brand new 197 brembos as there was a stonking deal I found and went with Pure motorsport mounts (fantastic BTW) and ordered some Goodridge lines off some french retailer which were cheap cause of the exchange rate (£40ish pounds inc del) http://www.optimiz-access.fr/freinage/durites-aviation/durites-aviation-clio-2-rs-etrier-clio-3.html
bgw1Quj.jpg

They look nice I reckon, but i prefer the yellow ones personally. No way of going back as I sold the yellow ones.

There is no way 300mm discs will work with 15"wheels and Brembos without some machining. Even on my 16" turinis with spacers there is 2mm gap between the caliper and inside of the alloy. I had to get the wheel weights moved as you can see the fouling.
igQdrbG.jpg

@Panda - if they are 16" wheels then it looks good for you ! As in Cubs pics 60-61mm is correct:
236HdMC.jpg

Its really is tight with my 16" et45 turinis + 15mm spacers - look at the black mounting bolt ! not much space at all.
GfCaDqf.jpg

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
I think you will be OK Panda. Are you at FCS? can always take my wheel off and try your wheel on my car to see whats what if you want.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
pretty sure
406 Brembos may be the solution as long as you have et38 wheels.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Out of interest why don't you want to use spacers?

Only ones I don't trust are the bolt to hub kind but that's another discussion.

Thanks @optical
Judgeing by your pictures i too will need to get the wheel weights moved, i am a bit concerned about the bolts but if they sit 15mm or more from the front of the caliper (which im sure they do) i should be ok as the wheels i have get wider after that point.

Can some one with 16" turinis and standard calipers measure the gap between back of caliper and inside of wheel just so i can comfirm its the same size gap as mine. Pic of what needs measuring.
sketch-1432833244187.jpg

Thanks

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Just noticed something really cool about the Pure Motorsport brembo mounts. They are slightly offset so that most of the face of the disc is covered by the pad. What i mean is - you know with the standard 182 brakes you get that horrible rusty ring on the outside edge of the face well with these mounts you dont - have a look:
bGpCRxX.jpg

Love it !!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
yeah, 300
Hi there,
What discs are those 300 mm ones that you have and how much do they cost?
Apart from the calipers and the pure spacers what else do you need for this conversion?
And how's the braking performance after, is it worth it?
Thanks!

Monaco 172
I have hopefully managed to get a hold of a set of 406 brembos.
I want to run them with 15" as i can get cheap track tyres. I have read its impossible without machining which I have had a look into.
The only thing i am unsure on is the braided lines the same as the 197/200 conversion? if not can some one point me in the right direction for custom braided lines. Or even the length required?
cheers

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
I have hopefully managed to get a hold of a set of 406 brembos.
I want to run them with 15" as i can get cheap track tyres. I have read its impossible without machining which I have had a look into.
The only thing i am unsure on is the braided lines the same as the 197/200 conversion? if not can some one point me in the right direction for custom braided lines. Or even the length required?
cheers
You wont get 406 calipers under 15s its clio 197 calipers you want. Plus 406 ones are crap.

Yes ive ad both sorts

Monaco 172
You wont get 406 calipers under 15s its clio 197 calipers you want. Plus 406 ones are crap.

Yes ive ad both sorts
no way in hell of doing it? its just because if i get them, they are free, so wouldnt want to go out and buy 197 calipers as i am only considering the upgrade due to a good mate not needing them.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
no way in hell of doing it? its just because if i get them, they are free, so wouldnt want to go out and buy 197 calipers as i am only considering the upgrade due to a good mate not needing them.
Nope 406 calipers are huge i just cant see how you would make them work 16s there fine with 16mm spacers 15s no go imo

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
406 brembos were shite. I got rid after 2 weeks. Problems were that you need 295 disks , the screech something chronic, the pedal travel is silly long. Avoid at all costs.
They use the same lines as standard brakes but need to be much longer.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
+1 I tried the 406 calipers before switching to 197s.
Your better off with the standard setup with some better pads tbh.

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Just give the little bit of info I can share about my conversion. I have cup turini's, 197 callipers with 300mm discs and the pure mounting brackets. Fit is extremely tight, but without the need for spacers! Similar to above however, the wheel weights had to be removed from the outer edge for clearance.

I have since had the weights moved to the centre of the wheel (garage didn't put that many on though) and it seems to have worked a treat i.e. No vibrations through wheel at speed.

IMG_1695.JPG

Tony

Big old thread bump here, but looking into fitting some Brembo's and would like to run them with my 15" OZ Chronos (ET35 off the top of my head)

I think as far as wheels go they have decent brake clearance?

IMG_3931.JPG

IMG_3932.JPG

Now I'm guessing I'd need 280mm's with the calipers machines/milled down?

I've found a decent 300mm set secondhand which I'd rather go for to save some money, but I guess there's no chance it'll fit unless I run massive Spacers?

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
You won't get 300mm discs under 15" wheels with brembo calipers. 280mm discs under 15".. you may get away with 283mm.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
It's been said a good few times above mate, there's no way in hell 300mm discs will fit in 15 inch wheels. Have a look at Opticals clearance above, with 300mm discs under 16 inch wheels. Now imagine trying to fit that lot with 12.7mm less space per side!

Right, I'm thinking I could even struggle with 280mm discs here, would value your opinions

IMG_5007.PNG

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

IMG_5015.JPG

IMG_5021.JPG

Basically they're 15", and whilst the spokes have plenty of clearance they've got a lip running inside the wheel, which isn't giving me much clearance, since I'm already on 16mm Spacers.

See the photos above, but I think it could be doubtful if you look as close as the standard calipers are! Unless the Brembo's just come out farther/deeper and not so much towards the inside of the wheel rather than towards the spokes?

Do I stand a chance of fitting Brembo's behind them, without having to run stupidly big Spacers?