ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 with cup packs - Steering all over the road

182 Cup, Octavia VRS Tdi
Hi guys

Its hard to see, but I took a look under the car and the front end looked solid. Are there any common suspension or steering issues with the 182s?

My wheel follows the road and wobbles about noticably at speed. It almost feels like the wishbones are loose and the front wheels are independent. If you hit a white line or cat eye the car dives all over the place. Its not really safe to drive at pace.

Another thing, which I'm not sure is related. The steering makes a creak and even a slight clunk as you hit full lock sometimes.

If anyone can give me a few standard 182 faults to check that would be great.

Cheers
George

2002 Cup172
Tyres and balencing just done mine and i had similar probs worked a trick,
I just swapped the backs to the front and vice versa now running them into shape and getting balenced next week.
this is fairly cheep and quick to do not to sure on cost i got a mate to do mine at his work,

hope this will help a little.

182 Cup, Octavia VRS Tdi
It won't be tyres mate, it can't be. I looked at the wishbone arangement and I can't believe how substantial it is, almost over engineered. So I would be surprised if its that even though its behaving like it is.
I read somewhere that the ARB can be an issue, which could explain the clunks?

Do Cup shocks leak after 24k??

Also i'll check the ball joints.

Cheers

I just tried to register and it wont let me, says my email address is banned! Tried my girlfriends which has come up also as banned!!! Anyone else get this?

Rob.

RSC 182 Cup
Fill out all the details (where you live etc.) and try a different Email address. Or let me know what username you're trying and I'll let an admin know.

RSC 182 Cup
Here are some pics from the thread:

dsc01396pq5.jpg

dsc01398fx9.jpg

That hole should be a tight fit on the bolt....

(The Clio those pics are from is a dedicated "production series" racer, but others are finding the same sort of thing on normal road going Clios.)

182 Cup, Octavia VRS Tdi
I was hoping there would be a common fault, but it appears not. Nevermind i'll get my mate to take a look over it again.

RSC 182 Cup
Did you get onto read that thread? Every person who has had their 1*2's checked has found enlarged/ elongated holes; the guys who have had it repaired have remarked how much tighter the handling is afterwards.

182 Cup, Octavia VRS Tdi
Its bloody dangerous tbh. If you hit a white line the car flies all over the road. I'll get it checked out again.

182 Cup, Octavia VRS Tdi
Yea I have checked the tyre pressures and all the obvious bits and bobs. How do I know if the shocker is leaking. Are we talking a visible leak? Surely they don't fail after 24k?..

Clio 182
You would be surprised. I just changed both rear shocks on mine. Its a 54 plate ff 182 & it had only done 35k.

1 Rear shock was seized solid with no signs of leakage the other was fine.

Rear shocks cost £50 give or take from Renault.

It was behaving just like you describe, It now drives like a completely different car.

judder

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 ff, R5 GTT
Hi guys

Its hard to see, but I took a look under the car and the front end looked solid. Are there any common suspension or steering issues with the 182s?

My wheel follows the road and wobbles about noticably at speed. It almost feels like the wishbones are loose and the front wheels are independent. If you hit a white line or cat eye the car dives all over the place. Its not really safe to drive at pace.

Another thing, which I'm not sure is related. The steering makes a creak and even a slight clunk as you hit full lock sometimes.

Cheers
George

Hi there.

I also have a clio 182 with both cup packs and I have noticed that my car is handling differently than when it was new. My car has 15K on the clock and FRSH and was bought from new in APR 05. It has just passed its MOT and still on original tyres.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? The tyre pressure is correct. The clunking is just part and parcel of a 182 but surely not the jittery ride. On the motorway it is fine but on A and B roads it just seems different.

I put is down to the cold weather and wearing tyres but I am not so sure now as there appears to be loads of posts on this forum about it.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, and if it was a major steering fault/leaking shocks/ wouldn't it have been picked up on the MOT? (it was done at the local council so I don't potentially get ripped off by a garage)

182 Cup, Octavia VRS Tdi
I'm not sure mate, but something you might try to confirm we have the same problem. On full lock when I reverse the front wheels clunk violently, even when reversing slowly. Does yours do this?

fad

Clio 182 FF
I have this same problem when on full lock the wheel feels like it is going to fold under itself and when changing lanes when you hit road markings you can feel the steering go all light and it wanders!

So far I have changed the top mounts and checked the bearings for play and nothing has come to light. I have looked at other threads the general consensus is that they all do this?

I fail to see how my car has not done this for 45k and has only started doing it?

I'm going to get my subframe inspected to see whats is what.

Da

Less
Fad - the issue you describe is solved by strut top washers, have a search about. They also do it far more often once the front tyres are worn down, it's related to the turning circle/wheel base. "Strut top knocking". Can very easily be resolved.

182 Cup, Octavia VRS Tdi
I agree FAD, for someone to say they all do that is rubbish. Ours had never done this until about 3 or 4 k ago. I'm sure Evo mag would have never given the 182 a second look if it had.

Thanks for the heads up Da, I'll get looking. I got a mate (whos a good mechanic) to take a look at the front end and I looked with him. The wishbones are as solid as a rock, so are the ball joints and everything that hangs off the wheel.

I want this sorting or i'll sell the car as its undriveable at speed.

fad

Clio 182 FF
Fad - the issue you describe is solved by strut top washers, have a search about. They also do it far more often once the front tyres are worn down, it's related to the turning circle/wheel base. "Strut top knocking". Can very easily be resolved.

Thanks for your input, I've knew about the top strut knock before I purchased the car, mine was always quite faint and I bought this car last year and just covered 30k miles with no worries

Its become more aparrent in the mornings whne pulling off my drive and the whole front end starts groaning and the knock is more pronounced.

I will the washers but as mentioned before I cant see how this is going to impact the drivablity of car?

judder

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 ff, R5 GTT
I'm not sure mate, but something you might try to confirm we have the same problem. On full lock when I reverse the front wheels clunk violently, even when reversing slowly. Does yours do this?

Yes my car does exactly the same. I will order some Yozza top strut washers and then change the 2 front tyres (the current ones have done 15K and are due a change very soon) I will get the tracking looked at and hopefully it will be sorted. If not, then I'm not sure what else can do. it passed the MOT.

Like I said I have had the car from new and with 15K on the clock, the handling should be sweet, not waving around. My Ford galaxy handles better on the A and B roads.

judder

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 ff, R5 GTT
I agree FAD, for someone to say they all do that is rubbish. Ours had never done this until about 3 or 4 k ago. I'm sure Evo mag would have never given the 182 a second look if it had.

Thanks for the heads up Da, I'll get looking. I got a mate (whos a good mechanic) to take a look at the front end and I looked with him. The wishbones are as solid as a rock, so are the ball joints and everything that hangs off the wheel.

I want this sorting or i'll sell the car as its undriveable at speed.

Hi George, please keep me updated if you manage to find anything out?

Cheers

Clio 172
Hi guys

Cheers
George

Have you checked your wheels for excessive play?, i've had the same problem/symtoms and i need x2 track rod ends.

182 Cup, Octavia VRS Tdi
I've had all the steering components checked and there doesn't seem to be any play anyway mate.