ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Vs Mini works

car? need a license 1st!

I was having, a quite heated, discussion with my mate the other day. Hes getting a mini "works" sometime this month, and I was saying that a 182 would give him a run for his money.

What u lot reckon? Is the mini faster? I think its got 230bhp??? or somthing stupid, but my mate talks out of his ass..

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

IIFC it is a bit quicker...... wouldnt kill the clio but dont expect to keep up with it easily

Nippy white cup

When he gets it m8 tell him to come out in it and we can have a comparison...not sure myself how they are but I remember the stats in Topgear werent awesome. As the speeds increase I would say the difference in bhp would become more apparent

Chris

car? need a license 1st!

hes getting it on 22nd of this month IIRC.

u should come over to clitheroe one night when hes got it, and well get u 2 on the by-pass ;)

Im interested in seeing which is quicker, as ive never thought of a mini being able to keep with a 172/182 cup.

My Mrs is thinking of getting a 182 as well :D Guess whos going on insurance! :D

Nippy white cup

Quote: Originally posted by Chewy on 10 April 2005

hes getting it on 22nd of this month IIRC.

u should come over to clitheroe one night when hes got it, and well get u 2 on the by-pass ;)

Im interested in seeing which is quicker, as ive never thought of a mini being able to keep with a 172/182 cup.

My Mrs is thinking of getting a 182 as well :D Guess whos going on insurance! :D
Np m8y.....Give me a pm when you are out...Ill see if Matt wants to come as well :D

Chris

car? need a license 1st!

yeah matey, will do :)

U can come show all us clitheroe lot up. Ill just sit in a layby on the bypass and laugh, cos ive no chance [:p]

The Mini will be a lot faster. Chalk and cheese though in it? £12.6k versus £20k, if i had 20k to spend on a car it wouldnt be a bloody mini!

sure its 210bhp, will be quicker than the 182 no doubt but not ridiculously.

they do weigh a bit more, but will still be faster than yours... sorry to say (but it should be for the extra money he paid! ;))

car? need a license 1st!

yeah, i was thinking that, but he wouldnt destroy a 182.

He seems to think hes the best driver in the world. Wait till i get him on some of my country roads, then ill show him ;)

BMW 120i Sport

If it was the normal Cooper S Works (197 bhp) then there would be almost nothing between them as its got 7 bhp per tonne more; perhaps a slightly higher top speed?

The 210 bhp Cooper S Works would be slightly quicker, but it might not become apparent until over 60 mph since they have a claimed 0-62 of 6.6 secs - they also have an extra 60 kg of weight.

Tell him you get all your power and pace naturally without the need for bolt on superchargers ;).

In honesty, i can think of far better cars for the money - an imported Impreza STi for £20k for instance, or a second hand Evo 8, or a second hand Clio V6 MK2 - at least thats a proper superhatch with mid-engine and rear wheel drive.

I just dont think the Cooper S works is worth the money (upwards of £20k depending on what spec you pick!)

car? need a license 1st!

yeah well my mate is an idiot. He used to have a CTR then got rid of that for a mini works?

fool.

MINI JCW

I have an autocar magazine with the old works 200bhp on it, it wasnt a proper road test but they did some performance figure for it

MCS Works 182

0-60 6.8 6.3

0-100 17.2 17.0

30-70 5.9 5.8

Obviosuly the new one will be slighlty quicker but nothing in it until silly speeds

I took a S Works out the other week 2 satisfy my need to be part of the Mini thing. To be honest, i couldnt stand it. It was a 53 plate and it shook and rattled like mad. It didnt feel that fast at all and certainly not much quicker than my 182 (which incidentally they offered 8k for - 04plate with 10k miles on it). Also, the Clio would outbrake it by a mile. I pointed this out to the salesman and his reply was "Thats the trouble with brakes though, sometimes they can be too good cant they?" Errr hello?!! Not sure ive ever found myself in a situation where my brakes where too good!

Anyway, i no longer want to have that Mini thing going on. Trouble is i dont want my 182 anymore either so now where do i go from here.....

MINI JCW

i assume the MINI was about 18k so you could get a focus RS, LCR, CTR, RS 225, S3 plenty of chocie out there

The 1.2 cup pushed one (and killed him) around spa all day and had a killing spree at bruntingthorpe on a mini2 day.

:)

/y0z

Quote: Originally posted by gazcaddy on 10 April 2005

I have an autocar magazine with the old works 200bhp on it, it wasnt a proper road test but they did some performance figure for it

MCS Works 182

0-60 6.8 6.3

0-100 17.2 17.0

30-70 5.9 5.8

Obviosuly the new one will be slighlty quicker but nothing in it until silly speeds

I was about to mention those figures but u beat me to it. the mini should be quicker, it has 176 bhp per tonne which is still higher than the clio. I have heard the mini is supposed to have long gearing so maybe thats the reason, but i would imgaine over 100mph the mini would be quicker regardless.

I agree the new mini cooper s works (210)will be obviously a little quicker but again like u say nothing in it with a 182 till silly speeds. I couldnt justify spending 20k+ on a mini.

A 182 is about 172 Cup quick

Since Evo car magazine said there Cooper S tunned car was always a bit slower than the Cup Id say the Cup will be quicker but its down to drivers.

I think i can help settle this.

My Father in Law has a cooper S Works & weve been on 3 track days together (me in our 172 Cup). The Mini is NOT faster than the 172, let alone the 182. He is a competitive driver, so i know hes pushing hard. When ever we swap cars, we always have the same opinions, the Mini is much more stable in the corners, but its not that much fun. The cup is a huge laugh in the corners, but slightly edgy (ie. FUN!) On a straight line, the cup has the edge (but we only went up to speeds of 110mph), acceleration is still with the cup (but not by much). The thing is, i could drive the mini hard all day long on a track, its got a big safety net & it gives you confidence to push harder. The Cup is just loads more fun. I couldnt push hard all day in it (something might break!) when i do use it, its just addictive. The mini is good but ultimately boring, the cup is manic & gives you the feel good factor.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Quote: Originally posted by JAY BUNDHOO on 11 April 2005

I think i can help settle this.

My Father in Law has a cooper S Works & weve been on 3 track days together (me in our 172 Cup). The Mini is NOT faster than the 172, let alone the 182. He is a competitive driver, so i know hes pushing hard. When ever we swap cars, we always have the same opinions, the Mini is much more stable in the corners, but its not that much fun. The cup is a huge laugh in the corners, but slightly edgy (ie. FUN!) On a straight line, the cup has the edge (but we only went up to speeds of 110mph), acceleration is still with the cup (but not by much). The thing is, i could drive the mini hard all day long on a track, its got a big safety net & it gives you confidence to push harder. The Cup is just loads more fun. I couldnt push hard all day in it (something might break!) when i do use it, its just addictive. The mini is good but ultimately boring, the cup is manic & gives you the feel good factor.
can settle too.

my cousin had one of these and we ran a bit of a test down a private road. the mini hit about 0-75-0 and just stopped in time for the turn. I did the same run in the 182 0-80-0 and stopped quite easily for the turn. Both in the cars at the same time and he even thought the 182 had that bit more grunt. so on the whole very similar but the clio should have the edge.

Ive been up against my Mates Cooper s Works in my old Cup. Up to 70 there was nothing in it. After that (when we hit the race track) i caught up to him as if hed put the breaks on. He hadnt of course. He was gutted to find that hed spent 24k on his and id got mine for 10k with 2000miles on the clock. Around the twisties i could keep up with him no problem.

car? need a license 1st!

Hmmm sounds like my mate has a job on with Chris.

I spoke to him last night, and he said hes well up for it, but needs some time to run the mini in, as hes getting it with delivery milage on it.

Hell tell me when hes ready and ill notify you Chris :p

Nippy white cup

Np m8...Just a nice private two laner or somat...I aint bombing round any country lanes that I dont know...I would assume he wouldnt want to smash his new car up either!

Chris

car? need a license 1st!

yeah mate, i have a couple of roads in mind :)

Nah i dont think hed want to smash it up, plus he cant drive back roads anyways, I dont think he could keep up with me along some of the coutry roads around clitheroe :)

anyways, less big headedness :p