ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 suspension knocking

dk

911 GTS Cab

have got a knocking noise coming from the front of my car when i take my foot off the accelerator in traffic in first and second.

When I move forward in traffic and then take my foot off the pedal, the car rocks forward (which i know is normal) but when it does there is a single knock from the drivers side front and it happens as the car seems to move its weight towards the front. It doesnt happen anywhere else, not on bumpy roads or speed bumps, only when the weight is shifted forward when i take my foot off in traffic.

Is this a common 172/cup/182 problem, should i be worried (because i am at the mo, i am doing a lot of miles and cant get to a garage until next week!) do i desperately need to get to a garage or am i just going to have to get used to the noise because it is a common fault?

please help as i am a worried man with my nice new car!

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member

its started already............. renault have done it again!!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Nice to see Renault sorted out all the problems on the new car... not! :sick:

Really am wondering if its a good idea to get another new Clio?!

Tomclio182 how many miles have you done, i have done 1000 miles and as of yet i havent got any problems i am keeping my fingers crossed.

Id like to know whats causing this too as my 03 Cup has exactly the same problem. Im coming up to needing my 12k service and I will get my dealer to have a look into this problem at the same time but I dont hold out much hope of it been fixed. In fact, my local delaer will no doubt spin me the usual line: "weve looked into it sir but we cant find anything wrong" :(.

GW Clio 200

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 25 March 2004

Nice to see Renault sorted out all the problems on the new car... not! :sick:

Really am wondering if its a good idea to get another new Clio?!

What else is out there that will give you the same spec and performance for what we are paying (the general consences being £13,000 fully loaded with Cup Packs) I cant think of any.

Anyway we are bound to see people having niggles here and there. I am not put off by these stories as there on every forum for every make of car these days.

Anyway the only one that are defective are the black Silver and Racing blue..........we should be cool Rich.........

Waits for Tom to kick my ass

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 25 March 2004

Bet you £10 i paid less for my 182 than you did.
Dont you just love F&F! ;)

May well be ordering one this weekend...

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 25 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 25 March 2004

Bet you £10 i paid less for my 182 than you did.
Dont you just love F&F! ;)

May well be ordering one this weekend...
Me too.... I think its time to bite the bullet. My only concerns are similar to yours.. do I really want another Clio.??!!

JESUS. No more Renaults for me.

The latest Autoexpress has an article about how they havent bothered putting the RENAULTSPORT badges on properly on the new megane turbos!!

Si.

hello mate your knocking is your front pipe, it is so close to the sub-frame and when you pull away and de-accelerate it knocks on the sub-frame. Hope this helps

steve

320d M Sport

Quote: Originally posted by sjtb on 25 March 2004

JESUS. No more Renaults for me.

The latest Autoexpress has an article about how they havent bothered putting the RENAULTSPORT badges on properly on the new megane turbos!!

Si.

The Return of the "WONKY RENAULTSPORT BADGE". My 172 was the same, sh*ttest thing is warranty doesnt cover it! I had to pay £30 for a new one.

idiots.

dk

911 GTS Cab

i have done 1300 miles and this starting happening just after i passed the 1000 mile mark! Thought you had to go in to the dealer to have yours fixed Tom?

"They do. i dont." - hopefully this is something that be fixed easily!

Hi, i picked up my 182 on the first of march and after only having two days i noticed a loud grinding noise coming from the n/s/f wheel when giving it death on roundabouts. The problem turned out to be a missing bump stop on the shocker, easily cured but irritating all the same. Only for the fact that i work at the dealership means ive got the car back now as the part needed to fix it wasnt avaliable. Nightmare! To the guy with the knocking noise it sounds like a possible fault with the gearbox mounting under the battery which is a common problem on 172s and as they havnt changed it i guess 182s as well

R

rich[182]

got exactly same noise on my 53 reg 172, 4800 miles, however this has only started since someone reversed into me last week !

at a junction and guy in front attempted to pull out of junction but when he realised it wasnt safe to do so he hastily reversed back into me, went with a right bang and almost unbelievably the only visible damage is my front number plate marked, renault bodyshop checked my car and its structurally ok, its in dealer this sat for a full inspection on ramps but since the bump i get the click/noise in slow traffic in 1st gear when i take foot of accelerator, its very annoying

dk

911 GTS Cab

thats the bloody thing, it is annoying but i can live with it as long as i know there is not a serious problem as i dont want something to happen when i am accelerating hard up to 60 is 6.3 secs!;)

cheers ant182 for the info, will check it out with the dealer, they should know about it then, is it somthing i have to get sorted immediately or can it wait a week?

Ive had the same on my 52 cup; got it fixed under warranty - suspension top mounts were changed at the front, and that cured it. That was last June. About 4 months later a similar knocking noise appeared and it turned out to be gearbox mounts; again these were changed under the warranty and Im a happy man.

My dealer is Speedsix in Wrexham and theyve been ace. My latest problem is with a tear in the rubber inserts in the steering wheel (where your thumb naturally rests); my cars 16 months old now and theyre still fitting me a new steering wheel for free. Cant fault them at all.

dk

911 GTS Cab

thanks for all the advice guys, looks like it could be one of three things,

1. gear box mount
2. suspensions Mount
3. Pipe knocking against the sub-frame.

My guess is the suspension mount but I will let you know when I get it looked at next week

CHeers

Elise/VX220/R26

Lets face it the 182 is a 172 with some suspension and exhaust tweeks, they arent going to redevelop a car thats been phased out this year

For the record mine still suffers this knocking, Ive just about given up cos its been doing the whole time Ive had the car (12 months) Im off to my local renno tomorrow to take the servicing manager out in it then they have it for 2 days to try and sort it. Its already been in 3 times.

Jonnyboy, mine had this same problem, it went in about 12 times, one of them for six weeks and they still never fixed it, (had car 12 months) i ended up getting rid. Sorry to put a downer on it just thought youd like to know.

R

rich[182]

had my car checked after bump, all is ok however i still have the click/knock noise, i even demod the noise to the dealer but they didnt know what it was nor found anything wrong

Ill see how it progresses for now, may takie it in again and suggest what it may be after reading some of these posts

cheers

Single clunk when you lift off accelerator in 1st or 2nd is usually the engine mount immediately in front of the suspension turret on the drivers side - theres been a problem with them going "soft" (something to do with the elastic properties of the rubber when hot) after approx several hundred miles or less - had mine done once and it cured the problem, but came back after about 2-3 weeks. Going in again for another next week.