ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Steering Twitch

Clio 182
Hello everyone!

A recurring problem in my 182 is the steering wheel jerking violently to the left/right whenever I put my foot down or brake firmly. It seems to happen regardless of road surface! Also when cornering under a reasonable amount of power the tyres seem to skip and lose traction.

When I had my cambelt/aux belt change done by RenTech (few months ago) they also did the tracking and replaced a track rod end. I have given it to a garage today and when they took it out they couldn't replicate the problem, again it is only when I'm really putting the car through its paces!

What they did say was that my front tyres aren't the greatest, the last owners didn't take much care of it, and there's the beginnings of a bulge forming on my passenger front which means I'll need to change the front 2 tyres as soon as possible.

That addresses the loss of grip around corners, but it concerns me that the car is jerking strongly whenever I am putting my foot down or braking hard. The garage checked my front suspension afterwards and couldn't find anything loose or breaking.

I've read around a few threads and seen various causes and was curious, has anyone else had this issue and fixed it? I am dubious that it just the front tyres causing this issue and am wondering what else could be contributing. The last MOT from the previous owners showed no suspension issues at all and I have only driven it 3k miles since. At the weekend I am going to jack it up and see if there's any play in the front wheels to see if the steering rack or anything else has play in it.

Thanks for any help

Clio 182
Mines was skipping about a bit due to s knackered wheel bearing , I'd imagine the garage would have picked up on this for you, but just a suggestion