ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Spare - What does everybody do?

A silver one
So I've had my 182 for just over 4 years now. I recently had my first flat, but luckily I was on the gf's drive at the time so it wasn't really an issue (got the wheel off and took it to a local garage).

I'm just wondering what does everybody else do for a spare? Do you all carry around a full size spare in the boot? Do you all rely on the tyre weld stuff and is it any good?

Also what do you use (jack and wheel brace) for removing your wheels, as I found the standard Renault kit bloody awful?

cheers for your advice,
Matt

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
My sister and brother drive Clio's so if i got a flat on the 182 id phone one of them.

Failing that, id phone another member :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
If I was local i'd ring a mate/family to fetch my my spare 182 cup wheel from home. If I do long distance stuff I take the wheel with me

I bought a rough, beaten up 182 cup alloy with a legal tyre on it for long journeys. Actually, I only had it in the car for Nurburgring trips... In the UK I have AA.

I put mine under the boot net when I used it.

E46 M3
Ive not had a puncture in 7 years of driving so I just rely on the repair can stuff. The standard jack is pretty bad but it works well enough to change a wheel.

Octavia VRS
errrm...:eek: nt much. call the rac or use tyre weld. it probably doesnt work but it will keep me amused when im getting soaked on the side on a hell ridden, sheep strewn welsh hill.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
On my 182 I got hold of a vauxhal 4 stud 15" space saver and machined to fit over the Rebault hub.

Only fits the rear but easy enough to change front and rear wheels around.

Za**** & Xr250R
:)

Picture068.jpg

R26
i dont carry anything ever. maybe a lil risky, but i do have rac, only thing i worry about is getting a flat tyre and getting stuck in a dodgy corner or something till rac turn up

edit - with this tyre foam, does the car need to be jacked up and will it need pumping up after it has been filled?

I bought a knackered (knackered as in not bent, just badly scraped), standard Anthracite 182 wheel. I don't really see the point in buying anything else, unless you really need to save space with a spacesaver. A wheel that matches those on the car will have the correct dimensions, offset, everything - so no massive pressure to get the puncture sorted because you're not too sure about the fitment of the spare you've got on it.

Then I got one of these to tie it down using the four metal loops that are already bolted into each corner of the boot - http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4.php?emulate=search&query=2662

I'd be concerned that a boot net wasn't strong enough - in an accident it could be pretty dangerous (not sure the rear seat would stop it heading through into the cabin.)

Tyre foam, as I understand it, comes in two varieties - water based and solvent based.

Solvent based - tyre is then ruined, and can't be repaired.

Water based - can be cleaned off, but would your average tyre fitter want to be bothered. They'd probably just steer you towards a new tyre.

Just my thoughts.

b/g 182, meg tourer
i have a beaten up spare 182 wheel in the shed. if i get a puncture i will phone someone to fetch it for me. lol.
if i travel a long way i will sometimes chuck it in the boot.

got a screw in a 3 day old tyre a couple of weeks ago! luckily i was at my mum and dads when i noticed it. was a slow puncture so i pumped it up to get me to the tyre fitters.