ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Rev limiter cuts around 6700 when cold

Its a good idea to have a lower rev limit when the cars cold to stop hooligans over revving on a cold engine, but I have a 10 mile journey into work and the car is still not hot enough to give it full revs, and not allowing me to use the full power band. After 5 miles I thought the engine would be warmed up enough to allow full revs? The power delivery starts to come in around 5,500k so only gives 1k revs to pull out and overtake in each gear when its 'cold' when pulling out into the motorway.

Just wondering how long others find there revs are restricted for 'roughly' ? Must be a good 15 minutes before mine allows full beans.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
yeah sometimes catches me unawares. just really depends on the air temp that day too.

Leon Cupra 300
same here mate its really annoying, on my way to work i have 3 mile normal road, 6 mile motorway then another 3 mile of country road to my work and apparently its not hot enough still when i get to work, id of thought the motorway stretch would warm it up enough. starting to get on my tits a bit

i cant understand why you're moaning about a feature thats protecting your engine?!

its not your water temp shown on the gauge.. (which can shoot up quickly in hot weather) its the temperature of the oil inside the engine, and that can take a while to warm up.

B

Brown.

mines hot in about a mile.....shoud take less then 6 mile....when was your last service.....your coolant system may not be letting the engine get warm enough i have a pal who had this problem,,,,

Leon Cupra 300
I dont really see what difference 500 rpm is going to make if its lettin you go to 6750 anyway! but that 500 rpm is quite useful to me on the road

philmots said:
same here mate its really annoying, on my way to work i have 3 mile normal road, 6 mile motorway then another 3 mile of country road to my work and apparently its not hot enough still when i get to work, id of thought the motorway stretch would warm it up enough. starting to get on my tits a bit

same here, Its a good safetly feature, but seems far too long to me till you can enjoy the car, might as well be in a less powerful car during the week as its never driven far enough to warm it up.

B

Brown.

just remeber little 1ltr fiesta can pull on to motor ways no problems, if your struggling to pull out with 5,500rpm.....erm stay in the slow lane...who wants to get to work fast any way???

Leon Cupra 300
makes me cringe when it hits the limiter, surely that does more damage than using another few 100 revs

Guy said:
i cant understand why you're moaning about a feature thats protecting your engine?!
quote]

not moaning, just asking for opinions, I was aware of this, this is why I have said its a good safety feature, I just would have thought over 10 miles would have warmed the car up by then.

big_peaches said:
just remeber little 1ltr fiesta can pull on to motor ways no problems, if your struggling to pull out with 5,500rpm.....erm stay in the slow lane...who wants to get to work fast any way???

Didnt say I was struggling? I was questioning the distance other people were driving before the revs went above 7k. (ok I will remember that it will help a lot :rolleyes: )

Ali said:
Zonda you don't post enough pics of your pic...Get it done!!!!

hi mate, yes, I posted a lot up when I 1st got the car. There is a link somewhere I will find if you havent seen them.

Focus ST
Varies between 5-15mins depending on ambient temps, length of time since last started and how it's driven while you're warming it up.

I haven't hit the limiter for ages so must be getting good at judging the time needed.

cock mobile.
philmots said:
makes me cringe when it hits the limiter, surely that does more damage than using another few 100 revs

Hitting the limiter does not damage your engine, revving the tits off it when it's cold does.

sh33n said:
Hitting the limiter does not damage your engine, revving the tits off it when it's cold does.

I think he was saying after 12 miles his engine still wasnt hot enough and wouldnt rev up fully, so not hitting the limiter when it was all that cold really? and like u said hitting a rev limiter is fine thats what its there for and wont do any damage or it would defeat the object of it being there in the 1st place.

Last edited:
  Nissan 350Z
Does seem to take mine a while too. I've pretty much accepted now i wont be able to open her up fully on the way to work now (8 miles).

Once the water temp needle reaches the middle though and i will take it up to around 5k. A few more minutes after that maybe 6k.

What does everyone else do?

al

ST on the way...
It's better to let the car warm up whilst being driven, it gets the engine warm quicker which is better than an engine sat idling staying cold for ages.

MY10 R35 GTR
cant give mine full chat on my way to work... thats 15 miles. Sometime I can. Not always