ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 performance hesitating when reaching the variable cam timing point in the revs.

Clio 182 2005
Hi everyone

I believe my Clio's Dephaser pulley has been on its way out for some time (about 8 months). The sound coming from it hasnt got much worse within this time.
I was driving my car home from work a few months back travelling at about 40mph and the engine suddenly started misfiring badly, i held in the clutch and gave it a good rev which stopped the serious misfiring. I nursed the car home and by the time i got the car home the car was barely running. I changed the plugs (using the expensive renault recomended ones) and it run fine. Now if i drive the car from cold it lacks performance and backfires when being driven for the first 30 seconds or so. My main problem is sometimes when i plug the throttle, when i get to 4k-ish there is a pause before the variable cam timing kicks in sometimes the pause can be up to about 1.5 seconds sometimes there is no pause at all. For all this time i have been thinking this is caused by the dephaser pulley being on its way out. Does this sound right or could it be something else?

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
Re: 182 performance hesitating when reaching the variable cam timing point in the rev

Mine pops and bangs when I start from cold for about 700yards. But thats due to a leaky exhaust... i think!

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Re: 182 performance hesitating when reaching the variable cam timing point in the rev

Knock sensor maybe?

alot of people on the forum have said the lumpy idle when cold is normal - mine pops and bangs like a beast with the Yozza for about 30 secs.
as for your other problem, unsure im afraid!

alot of people on the forum have said the lumpy idle when cold is normal - mine pops and bangs like a beast with the Yozza for about 30 secs.
as for your other problem, unsure im afraid!

182, 172 Track Shed

Think the variable cam timing kicks in way before 4000rpm

Mk5 golf gti

sounds like an injector misfiring that bad, pay £35 for some proper diagnostics

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

sounds like an injector misfiring that bad, pay £35 for some proper diagnostics

+1 - It's the best way to go. Could be Incorrect timing, Knock-Sensor, Dephaser Solenoid, Oil Pressure, Engine condition, H02, MAP-Sensor or even a combination of them all.

Mick

53 Clio's & counting

Think the variable cam timing kicks in way before 4000rpm

Correct, vvt cuts in circa 1500 rom, (1650 from memory) and cuts out i think 6500 - it is not for perforance.

the 5k kick is simply the engine (putting it in old terms) 'coming on song'

Listen to Mick in post 9, he knows what he is talking about

Renaultsport Clio 172

1850 in stock form, according to the F4R manual