ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 not starting

Ben182

ClioSport Club Member
  X3

Hi,

Yesterday drove the car into canary wharf and left it in the car-park for about 45 mins, came back and it refused to start. It was turning over but just not starting. Anyway I went outside to call the AA (underground car-park = no reception) and in the mean time the g/f managed to get it started.

Anyway after that it felt very hesitant to rev kind of like there was a delay between putting my foot down and the thing responding which was weird. Then I noticed that it was idling at 2000rpm instead of the usual 800 ish. I revved it up a bit and as the revs rose the temperature gauge fell and then rose back to normal as I came off the revs?!?!?!?! Got it back home and restarted it without any problems and it seems to be fine again. This has happened before about a month ago (it stalled whilst stationary at a very busy junction and then refused to start again - was more than a bit annoying), i thought it had gone away though.

Has anybody had this happen to them, and any idea whats causing it?

Ta

Ben

Audi RS4

mine used to do it,never had a prob starting from cold but if I went on a 30 min journey had a break then tried to start car it would never do it first time.On a few occasions it took a few goes to spark up,well frustrating! Told renault about it they had a look did some diagnostics(whatever!) and came to the conclusion that it was the immobiliser ring?Had it replaced,about £80 50% off for warranty and it seemed to work............ up until a month ago when it happened again!! seems fine at the mo though(touch wood).

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

I had a very simular problem with my 172, When i used it it, the next time i wanted to start it wouldnt, renault tried all sorts of things, fourth time round they found the problem, they replaced the hole, yes the hole wiring loom, and put a new starter motor in :eek:

Its your ECU mate, mine did the same, the wiring beds in over time and wires can end up touching each other.

If your temp gauge goes up and down it means there is some interference in the ECU - wires touching can cause this.

Take it down your dealer and tell them about temp gauge - they should replace the ECU as they did on mine.

Good luck, Duce

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

hello matey,

as discussed get that bad boy booked in, same old story with ecu... had similiar. ill give you a ring during the week

seb

mine also done this the other day. i was parked on a steep hill and was rolling down the hill looking for a house i had driven past. the engine just cut out but i didnt notice. i rolled down the hill some more then tryed to brake then you can guess what happend next. lost all power to the brakes had to think fast and steer car into a drive way as i was brakeing with the hand brake. dam i sh** my pants. but then i tryed to start it it just wouldnt have it. treyd about 6 times then it started. thing is i had about 3/4 tank of fuel so wouldnt have thought it was that?

Ben182

ClioSport Club Member
  X3

Right an update:

I booked it in for Renault to have a look at it this week (tuesday) as have been away for the last week. In between booking it in and getting it to Renault it also started stalling whilst I was driving it. Basically was losing power when revved to the extend that it eventually stalled - which is always convenient, especially in rush hour in central London. Anyway it would always restart after about 15 minutes.

Renault have had it since Tuesday morning (seems to have taken them ages) and have had various problems working out all the diagnostics. They finally came to the conclusion that it was the coolant temperature sensor. Basically they say it got stuck at minus 20degrees which then prevented the fan from coming on and lead to the car over-heating which then caused it to screw up and die on me. It was doing odd things like causing the speed limiter to come on and all sorts apparantly.

I cant get over there to collect it tonight, but will get it tomorrow in time for the weekend - hopefully its all sorted now! fingers crossed. :cool:

BMW 120i Sport

Hi Ben,

See my thread here http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=133878&PagePosition=3

I had exactly the same problems as you and it is indeed the coolant temperature sensor. It tells the car its minus whatever temperature and it floods the car with fuel causing it to stall. They also had to clean all the fuel out because it still wasnt starting because of engine flooding. They should have it fixed quickly, mine was in and out in an afternoon.

fao 182 owners - this has happened a few times now, if you get the same symptoms then get it off the road when you can because (similar to Ben) the car was stalling at 40 mph and I lost power steering and the brakes went all stiff.

Ben182

ClioSport Club Member
  X3

Cheers Big G,

Yeah, looks like its a common fault. Last time mine stalled I ended up going through a red light as had no brakes....scary...fortunately no red-light camera or traffic coming the other way so was ok. Could have been very serious though. Would definitely recommend getting it checked out ASAP if your 182 has these symptoms.

Thats if they believe you when you take it to the garage. Took mine in with this same fault and all they did was clear it from the memory. Its back in next week and hopefully theyll listen to me and get it sorted once and for all. It seems that they are reluctant to change any parts and given its just a Temp Sensor - shouldnt really be too much hassle!!!