ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182: no go from cold

Black/Gold 182
just took the car out. Hadn't used it since sunday and it was pretty cold but it just would not rev above about 3K rpm and couldn't get it above about 40 in 5th. Also seemed to be running rough. Is this the normal ECU thing?

Once it had warmed up it was fine

PS just did a search and see others have had the same. Pretty sure mine didn't do this last winter and it was just being driven normally (not thrashed). The revs were dying in 5th and I had to change down just to get above 40!

Last edited:
  clio 182 ff & 197
My 182 misses throughout the rev range when stone cold. Only lasts a mile or two.

Never as bad as you describe mate ^^^

Black/Gold 182
nah no lights (or at least I didn't notice any). it was only in 5th that it really struggled. It did it once before a few weeks back. As soon as the temperature gauge started to move it was OK. Prolly lasted about 2 miles.

Still have 18 months on the warranty so I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
mine sometimes stutters at 3000ish in the rev range from stone cold but not always....never as bad as you have discribed.

MY10 R35 GTR
tbh mate ur best letting the wee jalpoy warm up for a min or two if its been lying in the cold

Yaris Hybrid
For a minute from cold it doesn't want to go over a few thousand rpm. I find at that point I am usually going down a road in third with constant throttle then suddenly you feel it surge forward as the ECU takes it out of the cold start up mode or whatever you want to call it.

To be honest if you are trying to go over a few thousand rpm within a few miles of starting from cold then you don't know much about engines!

Black/Gold 182
and if you read my post properly you will see I wasn't thrashing it. I was in 5th and it wouldn't go above 40 mph!:rasp: When it's cold I try to keep it below 3000 rpm.

Took it out tonight and it was fine.

182FF c/w Recaros
When I first got my 182 I thought there might be a problem but I was told by pretty much everyone that they are all like that.

Always been pretty hesitant from cold. I just let my engine idle for 30 secs before pulling off and then tootle around feathering the throttle at 2-3K until the engines warmed up a bit.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Mine is the same, I find it hard to get above 60mph on the hill outside my work on the way home.

Black/Gold 182
cheers for all the replies. I'll keep an eye on it but if it's fairly normal I'll just leave it. Don't really want those numpties in the local renault dealer poking about if I can help it!

my 172 isnt as bad as you describe, i certainly dont try and floor it but when driving normally from cold at 30mph i can feel a surge and everything wakes up after a few mins, then the temp guage starts moving.

Black/Gold 182
yeah I'm pretty sure my 182 *was* like that, it just twice now it's been really bad.

When I was a student I had a Talbot Samba (quality!) and it had a blockage in the carb which would starve the engine of fuel; that's how the 182 felt when it was playing up

clio 182 black /gold
Over the past few days mine has been running and pulling real bad when cold but when warm it is fine.

MY10 R35 GTR
when the engine is cold the ecu piles fuel in to help it run ( choke ) but then as it warms up its starts decrecing the fuel flow to what it should be hence the reason for the power surge. The engine aint getting flooded anymore.

same kinda way if u start an old honda generator from cold u have to give it some vhoke but once warmed up if u leave the choke on it just floods and dies

meriva vxr! really ;-)
Mine did it once, was told its a safe mode, i was actually driving normally when lost all power and couldn't do more than about 3k rpm. Stopped thinking i'd blown the engine or something. Checked everything then re-started and problem was gone - blame the french gremlins!

FF Blackgold 182
-2 when I left work at seven tonight. Like you say, if you keep it below 3000 rpm for about 10 - 15 mins after setting off, you should be fine. It is less responsive I would say really. After it's warms up it is fine. Loves the cold air too!! Not too cold though!;)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
The rough cold running is usually down the O2 sensors.
Most O2's dont start reading till they warm up (closed loop) so they run with a set of parameters set by open loop running, so it will feel like it doesn't know how to fuel itself until the engine gains some temperature and then reverts itself to closed loop running.
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]
[/FONT]

Lux'd Glacier White R26
You should just notice that at 3k rpm the power seems to die off, until you get up to 3.5k rpm, i recall it does this will all 182's...Also when changing gear it can seem a bit sluggish. Just warm it up before use...

Tys.

Racing Blue 182
Not read any other post on here....

...but my old 182 did do this a few times. Just stopped at 3000 revs as if i had the speed limiter on.

RB 182 with CUP packs
Mine done this Sunday.

Went to pulled away from the old mans house & felt like I was just using the clutch to pull away. 2 secs later it felt like the car was alive again.

Normally when she comes out the garage she idles for 60secs min before even coming out, then by the time I've shut the garage etc she's normal.

Black/Gold 182
I'm normally the same, leave it idling while I lock up the garage. But I was in a rush yesterday as a Spanish lorry driver had just hit the back of my mum's car in the next village so had to go and get all the details.

As I said, it used to kind of go lumpy and was then OK. But yesterday it just would not rev until it warmed up. It was struggling to do 40 on a A-road and I seriously thought it was about to conk out

03 Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique
Always let my 182 warm up 5 mins from cold before I set off.

Yup.
I try not to go above 3k revs on any cold engine, or I feel like I've hammered it! lol
When the water gauage is at least halfway, that's usually the green light imo.