ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 issues? advice...help...please

RS Clio 182
hi all....still very new to the clio so not really used to it and coming from turbo cars its all a bit alien :)

I brought the car 3 wks ago and the guy I got it from had fitted a new battery but it looks to me like its too big for the car as it is preventing the cold air feed from slotting into the airbox which in turn is making the car sound very boomy at high revs...so firstly am I right in saying this is wrong? will it be affecting performance? the car seems to make a lot of noise but its not blisteringly quick? or is it just me expecting too much? another question is I have noticed that there are 3 airfeeds to the airbox so I had a move around to see if I could get the main one (next to battery) to fit in but I may have move the bottom feed as there seems to be an odd noise at full chat now it is like a whistle but not as high pitched if that makes sense?

I dont know what to do in terms of resolving this...any advice is very welcome.

thanks.

Audi A5
It's quite common to See clios that have had the battery replaced for a bigger one than it should be. So its up to you really do you want to buy a smaller battery to fix this?

Has the car got a aftermarket exhaust system fitted? This is usally the cause of the booming noise on motorways especially if you've Got a decat.

172 cup
As said a lot of batteries are that little bit too big, you can grind down the back battery slot on the top of tray mount to get it a bit further back or get a new battery. Shouldn't really make much difference in performance though.

As for power delivery you've gone from cars that kick a s**t load of power when the turbo kicks in at around 1.5k-2.5k (depending on what you had) where as these things you really need to get them reving to see the power. The inlet pulley switches at 4.5-5k and releases the full power off the engine, try reving it a bit more if you havn't already ;)

My car have noise big problems, I noticed is air conditioning problems lead to a car noise
You can go to professional car repair place, help you to test whether the air conditioning question!

RS Clio 182
its got a standard exhaust and the boomy noise is defo from the airbox area.... yea I had a leon cupra R before with around 300bhp so I know its going to be different :) and I have noticed that at about 5k RPM the clio struts its stuff! I like the car a lot just making sure that the airbox was not going to restrict it too much like it would with a turbo car...how do the 182's react to an open cone?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
its got a standard exhaust and the boomy noise is defo from the airbox area.... yea I had a leon cupra R before with around 300bhp so I know its going to be different :) and I have noticed that at about 5k RPM the clio struts its stuff! I like the car a lot just making sure that the airbox was not going to restrict it too much like it would with a turbo car...how do the 182's react to an open cone?

Not too well, but not awfully.

The general opinion is to go for a v6 or ph1 172 airbox as they give good results, or go for a decent-ish aftermarket item.