ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Front brakes - How hot should they get?

A silver one
So I'm not sure if I've got a problem or not?

My car hardly covers any miles at all, and in May I took a trip to Conwy. After about 30 miles the front passenger side brake starting squealing every so often, but stopped when you tapped the brake pedal. Sometimes it would squeal for 5 seconds, sometimes 45 seconds. On the return journey after about 30 miles it started again, but only happened 3 times for a couple of seconds each time.

I'd had no problems since then until yesterday when I went to Sheffield (about a 90 mile round trip). About 20 miles into the return journey the passenger front started squealing again. Went I got home I checked the brakes, and fronts were red hot. Is that normal for a 90ish mile round trip?

I've been into work today (8 miles) and although I had no noise, the front passenger brake was very hot when I got out. Am I just being paranoid, or is this something I should be worried about?

cheers for any advice,
Matt

A silver one
Is this a big job? Car is booked in for a service at Birchdown at the start of September, but I've got another trip to Sheffield before that.

I don't really want to pay a fortune now and then again September.

cheers again,
Matt

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Depends how mechanical minded you really, it's not too bad.

I would say if your not sure leave it for Birchdown to have a look, but the problem with leaving it that long id you might end up needing new disc and pads, as with the caliper sticking the brakes are always on.

clio 182
a mate of mine wasted a set of pads and discs in a month due to sticky calliper, i would get it seen to before you wreck your brakes