ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cup engine whine

Clio Cup 182
Hello this is my first post so please bare with me :)

I recently bought myself a second hand clio cup which i was very happy with apart from a rattling exhaust, so i took it to a local garage who fixed the problem but also told me there was a whine coming from the engine, after booking it in again for them to take a look, i was told it was probably a timing belt pulley bearing, so they then went ahead and changed the belt and all the pulley bearings, unfortunately this didn't make the whine dissapear and i now have the car back along with a fairly large garage bill :(
I guess my question is this... have any other 182 owners ever noticed a whine at lower revs i.e. pulling away or maintaing lower revs and if so could you tell me what it was please ?

Looking for 182
I had a whine which turned out to be the PAS (power assisted steering) pump, thus was mainly audible when turning the wheel whilst stationery or at low speeds.

I made a video of it at the time, does this sound similar?

[youtube]6IFSRKJQMYU[/youtube]

Clio Cup 182
Thanks for posting that but it sounds nothing like it, it's more like an engine whine, i personally just figured thats how the engine was meant to sound i.e. bit of low rev whine before, having said that i'm no mechanic :)

Focus RS + S3
if its an 'electric' sounding whine ( i say electric as it sounded like an alternator whine on mine) on my car it was the aux belt idler

Clio Cup 182
After going out in it again and having a good listen i'm pretty certain it's some sort of belt pulley as the whine changes with the engine revs but it's harder to hear at higher speeds probably because it's spinning much faster, looks like i'm going to have to have it looked at again :(
Thanks for the replies, i've no idea where the dephaser pulley is or if it was changed and also dont know if the aux belt idler was looked at but i'll certainly pass along the ideas.... thanks for the suggestions all the same o/

Clio 182 with cup kits
My 182 went in for its aux belt change at 36k and when i got it back it made a whine noise. I would describe it to sound a bit like a supercharger whistle type sound. This also disapears at higher revs. Very annoying. My car's just comming up for 5 years old and has done 53k so am gonna soon get the cam belt changed, along with the aux belts and pulleys. Hoping it will disapear. I have heard that over tightning something to do with one of the pulleys can cause this. Can anyone shed any light?

Dodgy one
Remove the aux belt and fire it back up, That'l eliminate getting the cambelt checked over, The dephaser doesnt whine!

I reckon it'l be the lower idler on the Aux

Clio 172 (2)Clio 16v
I had the same prob with a couple of the 172s i service if it still der when the fanbelt is off probably more than likely the mechanic that put on the timing belt tensioned it too much!!

Clio Cup 182
It seems it may well be the PAS pump thats the problem, i've had both the timing belt and aux belts changed and checked, it also seems to be worse when turning the wheel at idle or low speed, anyone any idea how much a new PAS pump is likely to cost ?

Clio 182
Ive had both belts changed and it never made a difference. the whine comes on after a certain amount of revs and not just lower speeds or when the steering is turned.