ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cam/aux belt - tensioner tool

Black Gold Trophy
I have bought the aux/cambelt kit and Genuine renault tools, however I didn't receive the tensioner tool for the aux belt tensioner pulley!

I've read on here that a lot of people make their own as the renault item bends, but as far as I can see you could use a 3/8th extension piece with a breaker bar or a 10mm square bit with a breaker bar?

If I cant use this, does anyone have the dimensions for the tool so I can get one made up?

Also do you need to use a sealing compound on the camshaft plugs?

Yep what you've suggested could work if you can get enough space to get them in there. I used a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter with the side filed down to get it in there.

You don't need to seal the camshaft blanking plugs.

Black Gold Trophy
Cool thanks.

I'm assuming you need the aux belt tensioner tool just to release the tension for a moment to get the belt on?

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
I use a 1/4 breaker bar (about 6" long) then use a step up adapter to 3/8 this moves the bar far enough out to clear the tensioner then stick a socket and a long extention bar on the breaker bar handle and rotate anti clockwise.

Easy!

Steve

ITB'd MK1
I made one with a foot long handle as i got sick to death of loosing knuckles with short bars/ratchets. makes it massively easier as the spring is quite strong

Dodgy one
I used a sump plug key and two spanners back to back lol. It worked ok but i did slip once and punched the head which bloody hurt, Felt like i'd broke my wrist

Black Gold Trophy
Yeah I'd really like to go for that as all my ratchets and extensions are snap on and they are very good. But I dont know what I'm ordering, have you got a reference number or anything for the tool?

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
I'll wait for someone who's used a snap on one to confirm this.

But to me it looks as though the tool is too shallow.

The square (3/8th) hole is recessed at the back of the tensioner, and therefore the tool needs to stickout far enough so when it's in place there is enough clearance to actually pass the front of the tensioner when de-tensioning the belt

People who have done a tensioner will understand this, to everyone else it'll just look like gibberish

Steve

Black Gold Trophy
Nah I see what you mean, the alternator and its mounting bracket protrude a lot further out that the tensioner, so you need quite a big step to reach the square hole in the tensioner.

Clio Sport 172
Just changed my belts yesterday. I had read about using a 3/8" drive, but all of mine were either too long to fit between the body and the tensioner or too wide and would not enter the square hole due to the closeness of the spring. I ended up pushing a large screwdriver through a hole from the headlight cavity and leavering the tensioner pulley upwards. I adjusted the height of the engine to give me the maximum leaverage.
The hardest part of the whole process was trying to get the lower plastic timing cover in and out without it breaking.

182 Cup & Meg 225 F1 Team
Did my Aux belt/tensioner yesterday, used the jubilee clip trick. Worked perfectly! (used one from the air box ;)). Just take off top engine mount and raise/lower the engine to access the bolts.

Paul

Black Gold Trophy
Did it today, used a 3/8th inch sump plug key with a 3/8 drive breaker bar, the jubilee clip worked getting the original belt off, but not getting the new one on!