ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 4-2-1 Manifold

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
I welded a K4M flange on a valver manifold from Supersprint and this works well on my K4M.

4in2in1_clio_20.jpg
4in2in1_clio_18.jpg

So should be also possible für a 182 one. But the hose diameters might be to big and the velocitiy too low.

Ph1
Because if it wears through you have to mess about re-welding it on rather than unbolting - Looking at it a second time it maybe looks banded on

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Because if it wears through you have to mess about re-welding it on rather than unbolting - Looking at it a second time it maybe looks banded on

how often is that going to happen? every 4-5 years? probably longer than clamps would have lasted before rotting though

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
I don´t use the car in winter, the other thing is the engine sticks in an old Clio Mk.1 so it was easier to realize it this way. So I hope it will last some years....

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
didn't you do the same with a 172 manifold?

That was what i had in the back of my mind

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
Can someone clarify the 172 and 182 exhaust manifolds are mild steel or stainless?

What is the dimensions of the primaries on both?

Golf GTD Mk7
Can someone clarify the 172 and 182 exhaust manifolds are mild steel or stainless?

What is the dimensions of the primaries on both?

I had a feeling they weren't stainless, but they don't tend to rust. The only place i've noticed rust is where the CAT is bolted to, so this must be a lesser grade steel.

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
I had a feeling they weren't stainless, but they don't tend to rust. The only place i've noticed rust is where the CAT is bolted to, so this must be a lesser grade steel.

i thought exactly the same. Just wanted to make sure

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
didn't you do the same with a 172 manifold?

That was what i had in the back of my mind

Yes I did, that´s right. It was for my MéganeII 1.6 16v.

k4m_rs_fertig_1.jpg

k4m_rs_fertig_3.jpg

kruemmervergleich.jpg

But finally I couldn´t install it, because I didn´t take into account, that I have also a starter on my engine...:mad:
So flange positions were perfekt, but there was no clearence between manifold and starter housing. In the end I sold the manifold to a Twingo133 owner. The Twingo has a JR5-gearbox instead of the JH3 my Mégane has, and so the starter is located on the intake side of the engine...

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
So you mean that the 172 manifold will not fit a K4M with the JH3 gearbox.

Would in theory fit a K4J clio? I believe clios do have JC5 and the starter is behind the exhaust manifold

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Yes I did, that´s right. It was for my MéganeII 1.6 16v.

k4m_rs_fertig_1.jpg

k4m_rs_fertig_3.jpg

kruemmervergleich.jpg

But finally I couldn´t install it, because I didn´t take into account, that I have also a starter on my engine...:mad:

LOL!!! exactly why I never got mine fitted to my mk1. WOuld have had to change to a 172 starter as the solenoid is in a different orientation, and that involved spending money

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
So you mean that the 172 manifold will not fit a K4M with the JH3 gearbox.

Would in theory fit a K4J clio? I believe clios do have JC5 and the starter is behind the exhaust manifold

No, I wouldn´t say this. In my case I did a wrong approach. I wanted to keep the flange position and type (this tripode-style) OEM, to be able to use an unmodified OEM catalyst. To reach this I had to shorten the four single hoses at the flange to the cylinder-head which did lead to my clearence problem. I made a nice mounting frame where I head cylinder head and catalyst flange but not the starter.....

kruemmergestell_1.JPG

gestell_2.jpg

gestell_3.jpg

master_of_welding_1.jpg

A friend of mine did the welding job.

So I think if you have a RS manifold and a original RS catalyst (or at least a down pipe) it should be not a problem. You only need a K4x - specific flange plate to the cylinder head and you have to reduce the distance between the four hoses of the manifold from 89mm to 85mm due to the fact that the K-bloc´s cylinder distance is 4mm smaller. The K-bloc is also about 20mm lower than the F-bloc. This you can compensate by adjusting the angle between cylinder-head flange and the manifold before final welding, or it simply doesn´t cause problems. You have to see.

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
It's nice to see posts with plenty of pictures. Just noticed that your primaries were shortened by at least 10cm

My plan is at some point

172 Manifold with k4J flange (idealy would like a 182 manifold and even thought of DIY a 172 to 182 conversion manifold)
SS downpipe
SS 200 cell cat
SS centre section silencer
SS Back box

So, the only thing that would need modifying would be the manifold as the rest will be custom made and fingers crossed it would work

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
For the inlet manifold, i am looking at retrofiting a Twingo RS which i believe is cast alloy and has shorter (trumpets?)

You were lucky as your TB was cable operated while mine is FBW.

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
For the inlet manifold, i am looking at retrofiting a Twingo RS which i believe is cast alloy and has shorter (trumpets?)

For this you must pay attention. It´s not so simple as it looks. Cylinder distance ist the same, but the lower part of the maniflod is different between K-engines without inlet cam-phaser like the K4J or the older K4M (107hp) and the K-engines with inlet cam-phaser like the K4M with 113hp in MeganeII and ClioIII and also the 133hp version of the TwingoII RS. The flanges between upper and lower manifold differ and there is a big difference between the lower manifold sections themselves:

Old ones have the injectors and the rail "outside" (that´s the reason for this crash protector)

old_lower_k_engine_intake_maniflold_section.JPG

The new ones have them inside and some notches, too, so I think you have to modifiy the cylinderhead, too.

new_lower_k_engine_intake_maniflold_section.JPG

And I don´t think that rail and injectors are compatible...

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
one less plan then

I better stick with the exhaust.

Any info on the primaries diameter?

Thinking if it is way tooooo big .

Plan is to have the rest of the exhaust made at 57mm diam.

Might even look at getting genuine 172 back box, middle section and only do a SS sports cat.

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
If you think the primaries of the 172 / 182 might be too big for your K4J then have a look on RC-Racing from Spain. They offer three different exhaust manifolds for the K4x engines....

KCE218: This is the maniflod especially for the ClioII, but in my opinion not better than the casted OEM manifold. Only davantage, you can keep the the OEM catalyst, due to same flange.

http://www.rcracing.es/Registro.aspx?reg=KCE218_1149

KCE165: Manifold for the MeganeI, looks little better, but then the pipe goes below the sub-frame (like old ClioI).

http://www.rcracing.es/Registro.aspx?reg=KCE165_1213

KCE230: For the MeganeII. My favorite, should be also possible to be installed in a ClioII. Basically from the flanges the same construction like the ClioII RS Ph.1/2 manifold and catalyst. The primaries (like you call them) a pretty long and there is also a sport catalyst and cat-replacement offered. If you want you can also modify the catalyst outlet and replace the tube by a bigger 57mm one.

http://www.rcracing.es/Registro.aspx?reg=KCE230CAT230_480366