ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172s are awesome

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
It's a Laguna engine with a few tweaks. Provide you don't take the mick with the revs if you take away the limiter and service it properly it's not that stressed really.

It's not uncommon to find modern engines in scrap yards with well over 6 figures and little if any bore wear.

The Clio's turn of speed is down to it's weight and how it uses the power it has. That long stroke bottom end has it advantages.

I just love the simplicity of it all. The Cup especially really isn't a complicated car. My 206 has so many more bits in it's suspension setup as an example and it's hardly ground breaking.

I had my first proper blast tonight. On the roll and going balls out I think its a genuinly fast car. Driving position and steering wheel make me a lack a little confidence in it though.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
They aren't bad at all once on the boil it's just that things have moved on a decade later and so many cars now have point and squirt levels to match or beat a sport that hasn't changed down. It's weird I've never given those a second thought. I just get in and get on with it. But then I've never been fussy with driving position as I found out when I was sharing my Dad's seat position in another track car to save farting around with a sliding base and he's 3ins shorter than me.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I love mine. This is my fourth and I just love it. Since the tracking and fitting great tyres it's just so much fun.

This is my first and I need some new tyres desperately! Its rained and these brand new budgets the car came with are dreadful. Like really really bad... My boggo 106 can take roundabouts quicker and thats on budgets too!!

My brother also commented that it looks like a normal clio and that I should put 1.2 badges on it lol He was more than impressed with the straight line speed though.

ESP is staying on for definite till I sort the tyres out. The Twingo I NEVER had it on unless snow lol

I agree. I can tell underneath is a lovely handling car just desperate to shine through! Considering the work thats been done to the car im surprised they put budgets on...im assuming it was cos his wife used it.

320d
I've had three now. A ph1 172 first, a 182 then another ph1 172.

There is just something about them that makes me want another if I don't own one. My current ph1 is only a track/weekend car. I couldn't handle one for my daily anymore, not for 25k a year.

Great cars, my current one is a keeper, it's the fastest of the three I've had too.