ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172cup vs 306gti 6

clio 172 cup
Anyone know which is quicker? I have a cup my mate has the pug, he's always banging on about the pug being quicker, he lives miles away so a race is out of the question.

Ive never raced one, been in one etc etc. :approve:

Cheers boys

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
All down to the driver.

from my personal experience, the guy in the gti6 will enjoy it more!

I owned both together. I prefered the GTi6.

The Cup is quicker off the mark after say 20, more revvy and feels faster due to build quality.

The 306 launches better, handles higher speed much nicer, and is a more comfortable place to be in.

I miss the 6, would have another but would never find one as well looked after.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I've owned 2 x Trophies, a 182 cup & a 172 Cup.
I've also owned a 306 Rallye.

The Rallye had better steering/gearbox/mid-range punch, but drank fuel.
The clio was quicker off the line, as the 306's 1st gear is very long.

I only buy clios now as the 306's are simply too old/unreliable :)

TRACK CAR BREAKING
the pug is 173bhp.. and i think it had more torque than a 172..
i have a 182 which a couple of mods,, miltgek exhaust, panel filter and k tec map and i pull away from my mates prettuy quick..

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Not much in it between 2 good healthy models cup just edges it by a few car lengths but the gti6 has a stronger top end IMO.

330i. E30 Touring.
I really would.

Seating position is better, steering feel is better, gearing is much better, brakes are the same. Manly, I’d say the six is so much more controllable on the limit. Feels much more ‘planted’ than a 172, too.

Only real s**tter is the rear beam bushes are made of cheese.

Saying that, though. I'd still rather own a Ph1. No idea why.

Listerine & Poledo
meet at the nearest coastline between the two of you, point your cars down the pier and find out who's quickest then

330i. E30 Touring.
Because if you mess up, the 306 will fling you into the nearest hedge sharpish, whereas the Ph1 will be alot more forgiving ;) Also, if the Ph1 breaks, you already have 2 or 3 other ones sat on the drive that you can raid for parts lol

PMSL. Spot on, I reckon.

172 0-60 = 7.0 seconds
GTI 0-60 = 8.5 seconds

172 BHP & GTI BHP = Practically the same

172 Torque = 200nm
GTI Torque = 193nm

So surely the 172?

330i. E30 Touring.
172 0-60 = 7.0 seconds
GTI 0-60 = 8.5 seconds

172 BHP & GTI BHP = Practically the same

172 Torque = 200nm
GTI Torque = 193nm

So surely the 172?

Peugeot do their 0-60 times with 4 people in and half a tank of fuel. Real world, there's no difference.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
True but the 306 gti-6 has more weight and that will play a part .

306 gti-6 = 1215 Kg

Clio 172 Mk1 = 1059 Kg

Gives the car a better insurance group.

Same goes for the 106 GTi. They apparently do 0-60 in approx 8.5 seconds, but won't be too far behind a 172 either in real terms..

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
hang on it says 172 Cup

Renault book times/figures

0-62 6.9
1021 KG

;)

I do like a nice GTi6/Rallye, never been in one :(

6s arent that bad for tank slappers, when they go they just hang out. You dont need to correct them by much to get the arse back in line. Most fun Ive had in wet driving conditions.

R5GTTx2,R11,Clio DCI

Same goes for the 106 GTi. They apparently do 0-60 in approx 8.5 seconds, but won't be too far behind a 172 either in real terms..

a standard 106gti is quicker down the pod than a standard 182... I drove both on same day and got 15.0 in the gti and 15.3 in the 182

R5GTTx2,R11,Clio DCI
and why get 172 cup when the difference between a ff is minimal, tbh your better off with a ff with the creature comforts. I had 172 cup money to spend 2weeks ago, and got a dci instead lol. climate control ftw

BMW E46 330i Touring
a standard 106gti is quicker down the pod than a standard 182... I drove both on same day and got 15.0 in the gti and 15.3 in the 182

That would mean that the two examples you drove were of those speeds. We're talking about engines that are up to 15 (?) years old here...

MCS R56
and why get 172 cup when the difference between a ff is minimal, tbh your better off with a ff with the creature comforts. I had 172 cup money to spend 2weeks ago, and got a dci instead lol. climate control ftw

Less to go wrong and not everyone needs the aircon. The 172 spec isn't exactly luxury by comparison.

Z4

I wouldn't say it's minimal, I've driven both and found the 172 cup to be a better drivers car. Lots of little differences make a noticable difference! Feels more raw, more brutal.

Oh, and the dci is crep!

Clio Trophy
Had a 6 for 3 years b4 i got my trophy. Remember reading these sort of threads on the 6 forum every other week! Lol

I loved my 6. Was a great car. The breaks are better and the seating position is nicer and there is more room inside, but point to point the clio is quicker and like sum one said there old now and not well built. They are a nice car if they are very well looked after and hav money thrown at them. The 6 wasnt a good car for off the lights cos there were 2 many gears. It wont do 60 in 2nd so u hav to change twice. But after all, neither are drag cars! Trophy defo has my back more thou, the 6 loved to stick its arse out!

R5GTTx2,R11,Clio DCI
Oh really?

yes really, and no point me gettin a 1*2 as my other car is for kicks and the 1*2 wouldn't be worth the extra tax, insurance + fuel for a work hack....

almost got a 106gti as they are dirty cheap but mpg won on this occasion

RS Clio Trophy

Tis true they do it to get a better insurance group so they can get the younger market. My old 106 GTI used to spank most GTI-6's, i think they're a bit disappointing, if you want a proper 306 get a Rallye

RS Clio Trophy
15 seconds dead in a standard 106 GTI? with all due respect i find that hard to believe. i used to regularly win my group at York Raceway with my old 106 and the fastest time i ever got was 15:02, and my car had a lightened & balanced flywheel, 4-2-1 manifold, full stainless pugsport exhaust, direct air intake and totally stripped out interior

Vw caddy tdi
M8 owned a diablo six brand new on a T ! Slicked the tyres and could do reverse piroets (1arm and and head out window!) + lift of oversteer handbrakes in 1st on limiter truly amazing to watch. Tbh iv never seen anything like it in a clio other than ragganotti, he would have been impresed!