ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs 172 cup

172 2002
Hi there:cool:

soon getting a clio sport... now when I first went to the dealer they found an 03 plate 172 cup with 14701 miles on the clock £7,995...
they just rang back they also have a 172 on a 53 plate with 31k for the same price...

Now I'd rather go for the Cup (re mileage and price) yet... which one is the best??? in terms of perf, mpg ratio etc... I also know that the boyfriend will enjoy the Cup too and take it to the Ring...

What do you think guys?
I can use my powers to get the 172 for less :evil: :D

M

mij29

Depends what you want really. If you want an out and out track car go for the cup but if you want nice half leather sports seats, air con and a six disc multi cahanger go for the full fat 172. There is only about .3sec in it 0-60, cant see that you would notice that myself and yes they are better in the corners but the ff is good in the corners too and unless you are a racin driver i don't think that you ever use the ffto it's limit.
The cup has got less miles though so if you are doin 12000miles+ a year than the cup maybe the better buy.

172 2002
cheers for that

and you are raising more questions for me hehehe
My last few cars had leather and air con... I hardly used the aircon and as for the leather 1 was half leather and the last one has heated seats
I wouldn't say that I am a racer but I have to say I like the speed and a car that can handle though the current one is a 4x4 2.0 4WD
Now I did own a C2 GT (ltd edition) and that was really good... did have a 1.4 polo match that handled brilliantly round the corners... where did I go wrong when I had a hyundai coupe and a 4x4??? lol

I have to say that my gutts say the Cup... will find plenty of excuses to use it proper
I only do 8000/9000 miles a year

RB182cup&golf gti
cup prob about same spec as c2 gt but performance wise would slaughter it, judging by what you've said above i'd go for the cup

TDI tyre shreader
If you like to drive get the 172 its a really comfy car leather climate xenons, get the cup if you want to be a racing driver on the roads or you do track days

M

mij29

I myself would prefer the ff 172, thats why i had one. Just feels a better car beause it's better inside. If you had the ff you wouldn't be disapointed in the handlin. With all due respect it would out handle the cars you have had before but it sounds like you aren't bothered about the aircon or the half leather so if i were you i'd go for the cup just because of the low mileage. You won't be disapointed in either of them and ive read on here that the engine isn't at it's peak till it's done 60k anyway so thats somethin else to think about.

172 2002
Hi guys

thanks for your comments

well I think it's gonna be

the Cup

will ensure that I get the best out of it! will be revving maaaaaaaad
also will be an excuse to take it to Trax in Sept (alongside boyfriend's vectra 2.0 T all pimped up) and also to the Nurburg Ring next May...

Beware on the road if you see a Frenchie racing up and down the M6 in a Cup... that'd be me :)

M

mij29

Your boyfriend will be well pis5ed off when you waist him in the cup. I had a vectra a couple of years ago, they handle like a boat. his face will be a picture when you go past him with ease.
Enjoy.

172 2002
yeah... that's what I'm counting on... but I know he'll be sneaking behind the wheel of the cup anyway... he's as bad as me... lol

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
cups look best :)

000_0012.jpg

(mine) welcome ;)

CJ

Blue ph1 172
If you get the cup there's no prob but if you do go for the ff get them to chuck in the alternator belt change free (if it hasn't already been done) and try get a cambelt change out of them too.

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
If it was me I think I'd go for the cup just cos of the miles really, and they do look good :)

RS 172Cup(SOLD); R26 Meg
I'd go with the Cup unless you are heavy with the brakes and want some ABS action. Plus blue is the fastest colour ;)

172 2002
gt gaz I like the wheels... do they do them in 18"?

now guys I hear all that b*lls**t about the reliability of french cars... what sort of probs have you had with your 172s/172 cups?
thanks to cj it gives me an idea about the 172... I know the one I'm going for hasn't done many miles and I'm pretty sure the engine is in need of a gud roar but what can I expect to see fall apart??

I have only had 1 French car (tho being French myself ;) ) and it was ok...and to be pretty fair (and hope it won't jinx me) never ever had probs with any of my cars...

172 2002
dBASE said:
I'd go with the Cup unless you are heavy with the brakes and want some ABS action. Plus blue is the fastest colour ;)

:clap: yeahhhhhhhh it is the blue one :race: just can't wait should have it some time next week... just talking about it make me want it like NOW

RS 172Cup(SOLD); R26 Meg
i know that feeling i remember when i had to wait for my cup. A week seemed like a month. Worth the wait though.

172 2002
well used to "racing" seats and stripped down car as I used to have a C2 GT but my sweet posh fat ar*e has got used to leather lol... also did sit in a 172 and loved the half leathered seats will just have to put leather lookalike covers lol NOT

172 2002
Tim said:
hello and welcome .

hard choice ?? GET THE CUP .

cheers, tho I ain't got it yet lol
but it will be my first blue car! that's another hard choice! they've all been black...except the polo which bright pea green dealer saw me comin' ;)

172 Cup
Don't put 18" wheels on it, you might as well take it to an empty field and set fire to it. You'll ruin the handling and waste a lot of money at the same time.

172 2002
pecan said:
Don't put 18" wheels on it, you might as well take it to an empty field and set fire to it. You'll ruin the handling and waste a lot of money at the same time.

:rasp: only kiddin' m8 saw the FF with 16" and my thoughts were literally those wheels just fit and suit the car
no worries will stick to 16" lol

good as you dont really need bigger wheels m8............if u prefer aircon , abs ,traction control and leather get the full fat ...........;) but the prefered racing factor ..cup

172 2002
kartman said:
Cup then get eibachs on it cos its too soft standard. (imo)

I need to drive it first to "feel " the suspensions m8 but thanks 4 the advice... tho I'm a girl might need softer ones for me bum hehehe

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
froggygwen said:
gt gaz I like the wheels... do they do them in 18"?

now guys I hear all that b*lls**t about the reliability of french cars... what sort of probs have you had with your 172s/172 cups?
thanks to cj it gives me an idea about the 172... I know the one I'm going for hasn't done many miles and I'm pretty sure the engine is in need of a gud roar but what can I expect to see fall apart??

I have only had 1 French car (tho being French myself ;) ) and it was ok...and to be pretty fair (and hope it won't jinx me) never ever had probs with any of my cars...

the wheels on my car are standard cup turinis done in anthricite colour ;)
(16" girth lol)
(not any more though)

172 2002
gt_gaz said:
the wheels on my car are standard cup turinis done in anthricite colour ;)
(16" girth lol)
(not any more though)

well m8 they really look gud... lucky devil
not anymore what? anthracite or 16"? lol

172 2002
u c gaz silver wheels on a blue body go really well (girlie point of view there ;) )
and anthracite wheels go better on a silver or black car
naaa for a girl like me it's all about aesthetics lol

CJ

Blue ph1 172
If it's about aesthetics it's the cup. But being a girl you also need to think how you'll feel being all sweaty in the summer without aircon.