ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 unstable revs

CLIO 172
Hi to all who take interest.

Im currently trying to get to the bottom of a problem i have with my 172.

My problem is this.

Car starts fine, 1st time everytime. However i can feel the car judder in the rev range between 1000rpm and 2800rpm whilst driving. One day I started the car from cold and held the revs somwhere between these two figures and the car shakes violently like its on the limiter and the exhaust (powerflow) pops and bangs it head off. Once the car warms up this dissapears and can only be noticed during acceleration.
Whilst driving the car (no matter what temp) when moving through the rev range mentioned above the whole car shakes quite violently. Also it wont hold revs at all. if i set the rev counter at 2000rpm for example the needle will move 3/4mm either side of the figure that iam trying to hold it at.

Outside of this rev range everything else seems smooth. drive to work on the motorway and its fine at higher revs and holds these revs OK. The car has done 92000 miles, with about 20000 town driving, the rest motorway.

I have no idea what this is - and I was just wondering whether anybody else has had this issue before (before I take it to the stealers). I have checked my plugs and leads, the only things that i can see need changing is the Fuel filter (thought it mite be a fuel flow problem) and a cracked ABS ring on the passenger side (ABS is driving me mad too, but changing the ring this weekend) Had new tyres fitted and balanced too as i thought this could be causing it. I cleaned my throttle body not so long ago and this just made it less noticable for a day or 2. At first i though it mite be the drive shaft, but as mentioned above it wont hold revs and juddders when out of gear. No warning lights on the car anywhere. Engine or gearbox related I think.

Any suggesstions? Getting really pi**ed of now!:mad:

Evo 6, E92 320d
Coil pack? I have the same issue on my clio but im 90% sure a new coil will solve my problem.

PH1 172 Sport
Possibly the Lambda sensor as at higher revs the car ignores readings from it. Can't remember the exact range that it uses information from the sensor though.