ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 turbo trouble

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
was driving to my mates garage ready for more work and more bhp;)

and the car had just warmed up on the way there when its started to lose power and boost around 4k!
its like its in limp mode is it?its fly-by-throttle not cable.
the engine would not rev above 4k!

any ideas?thought first turbo failed but i took the outlet hose off as danlp6
advised me to do and it turns freeley and does not have much movement side to side!:(
any way its in for new rad new cam belt and head gasket.
pluss water injection once i get to the bottom of the problem:S
could be the throttle pos motor?dint check just started to strip engine as its gonna be coming out:) for some polishing painting and general clean up of pipes etc.took 3hrs yesterday to get this far:)

Last edited:
  M2 Competition
Sounds like TDC sensor problem.

Used to happen under acceleration in mine, car would go into limp home mode, wouldnt go above 4k until it was turned off and left for a bit.

Dont get them to change the lambda's, as renault did on mine (twice, grrr) as this wont fix it.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
i was told today that the manual says the fuel filter is ment to be changed at 36k, mines hasn't been changed yet

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
i was told today that the manual says the fuel filter is ment to be changed at 36k, mines hasn't been changed yet

It isn't chnaged till 150k.

As for why the cars got a problem check the boost valve etc.
iv got a new theory whats happened now and it makes a little more sense lol:mad:
the head gaskets leaking front and back!
the plugs bbpt put in are rubbish!
the radiator was leaking like a siv!
oh yeh my right foot!:mad:

nah i think the air filter was obstructed by some foam sheet i put under it to stop it chewwing the radiator top pipe!
its then wrapped its self around the filter cone and blocked and air going in!:mad:
and then it mybe sucking oil up the breather ontop the camcover??
anyway when it all goes back together i will let you know lol

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
Sounds like TDC sensor problem.

Used to happen under acceleration in mine, car would go into limp home mode, wouldnt go above 4k until it was turned off and left for a bit.

Dont get them to change the lambda's, as renault did on mine (twice, grrr) as this wont fix it.
has mine got a limp mode?as its the fly-by-wire throttle not cable?:eek: ?

Clio 172 mk2
Sounds like it could be the solenoid....they can get blocke with oil which will affect the boost.

Good luck getting it sorted out:D

-172 Cup Turbo-
Stevo

My car went into limp mode but it wouldn't let me have any control over the throttle at all, just sat at 1500 rpm. fortunately wasn't far from home.
Tried re-setting the ECU a few times but no joy. Ended up getting a new throttle body and jobs a gooden!!