ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 steering rack

first post here guys so maybe someone can help.....

i have recently bought a 172 of a friend and ive been using it for auto solos (which is essentially getting round a course of cones as quick as possible) which it has been really good at as its nice and light with lots of power. The only issue i have had is that the turning circle on it is MASSIVE, and i could be doing even better if i could turn tighter. I dont have a lot of background experiance with renaults and assume the 172 has a big turning circle because it was designed for the track and not doing small manovers.

So my question to the wise clio forum world is.. can i fit a rack off a different clio say a 1.2 and get a tighter turning circle? or would i end up rubbing the inner arches?

it may be worth notting i have ktec coilovers so it is low

your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

cheers guys

Fitting a steering rack from a 1.2 model would not improve turning circle on a 172. They're basically the same as they're for the same chassis for the same width of car etc. I work on autotest cars sometimes (similar to autotest cars) and they're generally fitted with aftermarket steering racks or just tight racks as standard. You probably see caterhams/westfields etc taking part, that's about 2 turns lock to lock.
If I'm honest a 172 is probably not the ideal set up for auto tests, as it's very heavy at the front end etc. But as you've chosen to taken part in an mk2 RS, I'd say use the power to weight ratio to the advantage, J turns using friction on wheelspin etc!
Hope this helps my man!

Last edited:
cheers buddy nice to have a response, it actually been doing really well so far as ive had a 3rd in class and a 1st in class for the two i have completed in it, which i was obviously really pleased with, was just thinking if i could turn tighter i could stand a good chance in the overall standings which encorporates all classes. maybe i just need to get my handbrakes and j-turns down!

Yeah no worries! Auto testing is good fun. I saw someone participating in a MKII 1.2 16V Clio at the weekend and I was curious as to how it would handle. The driver was from Ireland (the Irish seem to be really good at autotests!) He could literally make the car dance! I asked if it was running modified steering or suspension set-up, he'd just put some Spax springs on with standard shocks and was running a standard steering rack, with budget tyres.
The key is probably just in really learning the car and its handling characteristics, and stripping as much weight out as possible. (The real auto test kings roll with 1400cc Minis minus the roof etc!)

Is your 172 autotest car also a daily drive?

Tom

well not really, use it a bit in the eve but mainly on the track and at solos, it was striped when i bought it but had to put interior in it as i needed "standard trim" to run in my class at the solos, but still goes really well

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I was just searching for turning circle for the same reason. I also partake in autotesting and was most impressed with the Clio's performance, but with this new BB stuff, it really struggled on the 360s.

I wondered if perhaps there was somewhere you could just just a little more lock.

Laguna sport tourer
Im sure the 1.2 rack has a smaller turning circle. I have been in a couple and there is over 3 turns lock to lock vs under 3 turns with the 1*2 rack don't quote me though

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
The issue is not the speed of the rack but the physical turning circle of the car.