ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 shift light

clio 172 exclusive n
hiya
was looking through my owners book the other day i noticed i had a shift light when does this light up ie what rev 6k 7k etc etc??

does it indicate the best time to change gear or just that the car is being over revved??

the car is a clio 172 exclusive 2001

thanks

ps

apparantley the clio exclusive was made in a limited green (scarab green i think) if i have a ding in my car is it gonna be hard to get it resprayed or touched up?? would a normal sprayer be able to get the paint from their usaul spources or would they have to go to renault and pay mega money??

pps

lol
sorry peeps :)
would lowering the car affect the handling in a bad way?? id like to drop it 35mm but i dont wanna ruin the handling i have the original bbs 15" alloys on it :) ive lowered most of my cars and the results are usaully quite good :)
can you recomend any springs :)

thanks in advance

getting the paint can be harder on exclusive models , the shift light is more of an indication you're close to the limiter in that gear .
lowering the car does affect the handling .

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
I can answer the paint side of things but dont know a great deal about newer clios.The body shop will have no extra trouble sourcing the correct paint colour as every colour you could think of are all stored on computers with the formulation to that colour.

i know sometimes the stealer stop producing the exact colours , but its always harder to match them up afterwards

clio 172 exclusive n
oh by the way this is my 1st renault and iam quite impressed with the sport range :) loving it loads

one thing though i noticed that my window trim was just starting to come away at the very top right corner of my windscreen,
i thought it would be leaking etc so i rung a windscreen guy after he asked what year and make my car was he replied that this was common and that the black trim was indeed just trim and not a seal , it was only there to hide the glass bonded to the car and that i should just glue the rubber back down onto the other rubber

this is at the very top right corner of my 172 on the windscreen as you look at it (passenger side) its where the side rubber meets the top rubber and they are glued together (one across the other)

has anyone else had this trouble?? i was worried about water getting in etc and rust but the windscreen guy said that the seal of the window was where the glass was bonded to the car not the rubber thats on top of the glass this rubber is just apparntley to tidy things up

is this true or should i be worried??

i asked him if he would get it refitted and he said there was no pint it was a waste of money and i should just seal it back down

thanks again in advance

top site by the way

Last edited:
  E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
i know sometimes the stealer stop producing the exact colours , but its always harder to match them up afterwards

If the body shop has a scheme like the one where i work it should not be to much trouble, and only thing that can go wrong is that some car companys produce several different shades of the same colour and to the untrained eye may look the same.

clio 172 exclusive n
so to clarify the paint shouldnt be a problem?? as its generated by code from computer??

and if the shift light comes on iam revving to hard basically :)

whats the rev limit on the clio sport iam scared to red line it proper ive only had it since saturday :)

wow thanks for your quick replys :)

clio 172 exclusive n
If the body shop has a scheme like the one where i work it should not be to much trouble, and only thing that can go wrong is that some car companys produce several different shades of the same colour and to the untrained eye may look the same.[/quote]

is it a big sprayers you wrk at?? in general though it shouldnt be to hard should it??

Does it have a shift light?

My March 2001 Ph1 doesn't even though it's in the manual.

I recall all later models not having them wired up.

you really need to warm the car up properly 1st , but the shiftlight will vary dependant on the temp of the engine , if cold the shift light comes on earlier .

redline is normally 7k , perfect gear changes around 6700-6800 imo .
you will need to check for peak power tbh

clio 172 exclusive n
I can answer the paint side of things but dont know a great deal about newer clios.The body shop will have no extra trouble sourcing the correct paint colour as every colour you could think of are all stored on computers with the formulation to that colour.

so would they make the paint to order do you think? ie look up code in computer mix it make it? or would they have to do some mega hunting to find it across the country??do most sprayers have access to this equipment??

thanks again

clio 172 exclusive n
you really need to warm the car up properly 1st , but the shiftlight will vary dependant on the temp of the engine , if cold the shift light comes on earlier .

thanks alot

much appreciated :)

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
The base coat (the colour part of the paint) is made up from an amout of tinters and binders which are on a paint scheme and from these tinters it is possible to mix any car colour in the world as long as you have the paint code or some times the vin number. The body shop i work in is not that big because we dont do a great deal of insurance work prefering to classic restoration and custom stuff.

clio 172 exclusive n
Does it have a shift light?

My March 2001 Ph1 doesn't even though it's in the manual.

I recall all later models not having them wired up.

iam not sure it has it on the dashboard and is in the manaul and i have the original 172 exclusive brocheure and it does mention the shift light being a feature so i guessed it would be

i think this model was one of the last 172s to run of the production line

i might be wrong though

clio 172 exclusive n
The base coat (the colour part of the paint) is made up from an amout of tinters and binders which are on a paint scheme and from these tinters it is possible to mix any car colour in the world as long as you have the paint code or some times the vin number. The body shop i work in is not that big because we dont do a great deal of insurance work prefering to classic restoration and custom stuff.

cool iam a little less worried now all that info mentioned above ie vin number and paint code is stamped on the chassis isnt it?? :)

thanks

clio 172 exclusive n
do you think they will keep making the 2 ltr sport models after the 197??

i think 1he 172 182 197 are great cars very nippy but also very praticall it would be a shame for them to stop production of the range soon but i heard sales of the 197 havent been great is that true??

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
Paint code can be in a few places but the most common are under the bonnet, in one of the door shuts or in the boot and is normally a three digit number.

clio 172 exclusive n

try only ever take me baby up to 3000 revs untill its warmed up :) have only taken her up to about 5800 though

good to know theres 1k more lol

clio 172 exclusive n
oh by the way this is my 1st renault and iam quite impressed with the sport range :) loving it loads

one thing though i noticed that my window trim was just starting to come away at the very top right corner of my windscreen,
i thought it would be leaking etc so i rung a windscreen guy after he asked what year and make my car was he replied that this was common and that the black trim was indeed just trim and not a seal , it was only there to hide the glass bonded to the car and that i should just glue the rubber back down onto the other rubber

this is at the very top right corner of my 172 on the windscreen as you look at it (passenger side) its where the side rubber meets the top rubber and they are glued together (one across the other)

has anyone else had this trouble?? i was worried about water getting in etc and rust but the windscreen guy said that the seal of the window was where the glass was bonded to the car not the rubber thats on top of the glass this rubber is just apparntley to tidy things up

is this true or should i be worried??

i asked him if he would get it refitted and he said there was no pint it was a waste of money and i should just seal it back down

thanks again in advance

top site by the way

sorry to be a pain has any1 had trobs with this or know of it etc any feedback appreciated

do you think they will keep making the 2 ltr sport models after the 197??

i think 1he 172 182 197 are great cars very nippy but also very praticall it would be a shame for them to stop production of the range soon but i heard sales of the 197 havent been great is that true??

always - the renault sport range will continue but wonder if the clio will be updated to something else ;)

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
I have been around cars since i can remember but with spraying i started in a body shop at fourteen, so ten years. If you look at a few painted sunseekers on the internet chances are that i painted it. Mega expensive paint jobs at the cost of £20,000 plus up to £80,000 but got bored and have now gone back to cars which i have always loved.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

try only ever take me baby up to 3000 revs untill its warmed up :) have only taken her up to about 5800 though

good to know theres 1k more lol

You've only taken it to 5800! fun doesn't start till then, i rev the nuts into mine all day, do it it's fine.

320d
i take my 1.2 16v to around 6000 rpm when i'm going for it, not all the time but obviously i probly only drive it like this <5% of the time, this isnt going to do any halm if it was the limiter would be at 4000rpm of anything.

sports are sports mate there designed to be revved hence why the maximum power is about 6500 rpm.

would lowering the car affect the handling in a bad way?? id like to drop it 35mm but i dont wanna ruin the handling i have the original bbs 15" alloys on it :) ive lowered most of my cars and the results are usaully quite good :)
can you recomend any springs :)
Your best off making your your dampers and bushes are all ok before trying up chnage anything and IMo don't bother with springs either do it proerply and spend a lot of keep with the stock setup as a lot more money has been spend on it if you do want just springs go for eisback do a search for preference on type but there the only ones I'd recomend.

Shift light is just a warning your 300rpm ish of the limits it is nothing to do with optimum chnage up.

sports are sports mate there designed to be revved hence why the maximum power is about 6500 rpm.

max power is at 6.5k as that the way the engine is not because ita a sport so thay made it do that.

Recaro'd 182
I had the problem with the windowscreen, just stuck it down with clear silcone rubber, thought that be better than glue seems you can rub excess off and ti hasnt seemed to effect paintwork.