ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 powered R5 achieves 10.61 @ 141mph yesterday

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Top work! Got to wonder why none of the tuning companies have got clio's running this level of power!

Because simple reality is that they are not that good. Want proper power, go see a real motorsport engineer, I learned this the hard way.

Scoff's car is simply incredible and a credit to what careful thought and planning can achieve... that and just outright genius. Well done fella.

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Anyone have 0-60 for comparison?

It'll be in the 2's ;) Last year I was managing high 2's with low 1.7 60 foot times. those 60 foot's on sunday were 1.6's. of course, that's full on drag tyres on a glued track! I'd be lucky to drop into 4s with the R888 road tyres!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
:eek: FFS!

Just for comparison on other cars.

Thanks mate. Even high 2's! That's scary!

Is it a drag car only mate?

R5GTT, 2L turbo
:eek: FFS!

Just for comparison on other cars.

Thanks mate. Even high 2's! That's scary!

Is it a drag car only mate?

Well I can't really call it a road car anymore because there's 1 seat, no interior or any other luxuries but it's drivable on the road and it's always tax, tested and insured since some of the competitions I run in require it. I drive it to and from events in the summer :)

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Very impressive. Good to see the old R5 can still cut it with the more modern cars down the strip. :cool:

I still remember breaking into the 12s at the Pod some 12 years ago in the GT Turbo. :eek:

Just goes to show what can be acheived with some persistance and dedication as knowing the R5s I should think this has been quite a lengthy on going project.

David.

Sunflower Yellow Ph1 172
great to see the progression with this car, pushing the envelope. Scoff what time do you recon you can get with a 144mph trap speed if you didnt get bogged down?

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Cheers David, I was looking on in envy all those years ago. This one's about 10 years in the making, ofcourse only the later few years spent with the 16v :)

Ash, I don't know buddy, but as long as I go quicker than the last outing I'm always happy. The bog is just a lack of boost by the way. Unfortunately the VW gearbox I have has only 2 options for 1st and 2nd gear pairings and I have the closest of the 2. I still drop from about 8krpm to 4.5krpm going 1st to 2nd. The engine doesn't make any real output until 5000rpm, so you see what I'm up against.

Last edited: