ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 ph1 steering problems

01 Clio 172 PH1
i recently got a 172 and had the cam belts/aux belts/bearings/water pump replaced
problem 1
however, after the garage was done with it, they somehow caused my steering to knock when i turn the wheel
also, there seems to be some slack in the middle when steering is centered (eg... sometimes the wheel needs to be turned to the left to drive straight, sometimes turned to the right)

after changing to powerflex steering bushes, the knock got quieter but the steering problem is still there
swaybar bushings, wishbone bushings, top mounts should be relatively new but no idea on the condition of the wishbone itself

ive had two separate garage check my car but they aren't sure where the problem is
both said the in/out tie rods are fine, one thinks it the steering rack/the other thinks its the ball joints

problem 2
i lost handbrake on the rear left side after handbrake drifting in the wet for a bit
the wire seems to be pulling the caliper, the pin is turning but it seems the pin that pushes the piston isnt moving, do i need to replace my caliper?

Last edited:
  Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
I'd say your first problem is the ball joint but could be wrong. Cheap fix. They're about £30 but Renault will only sell the full assembly at around £60-£70 I think.

Second problem I couldn't really say. I'd say strip down the assembly and have a proper look at it. There's nothing complicated so can't be anything major

01 Clio 172 PH1
I'd say your first problem is the ball joint but could be wrong. Cheap fix. They're about £30 but Renault will only sell the full assembly at around £60-£70 I think.

Second problem I couldn't really say. I'd say strip down the assembly and have a proper look at it. There's nothing complicated so can't be anything major

thanks mate...garage figured out the second problem... the piston thingy that pushes on the pad was jammed so they fixed it after taking it apart and putting it back together

the first problem hopefully i can know how people fixed this as all the threads turned up without an answer
also.... i can only get my parts by ordering online and international shipping blows :pensive:

the dealership here wants 3k usd for a steering rack.

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
Ah I see I see.

Yeah I think it will be the lower ball joint. I've just done both of mine on my ph1 and it had the same symptoms. Knocking on the passenger side but I did them both.

3k for a steering rack. I'm sure you could get one and get it imported for a lot less? I don't know what import tax is like for you.

Where you from if you don't mind me asking?

01 Clio 172 PH1
i don't mind buying a new wishbone and upgrade to the cup one in the process but i was just wondering if it can fix the slack
the car feels unsafe to drive at high speeds as the steering might not respond instantly

3k usd here i can get another used ph1/2...:laughing:

i am from hong kong and my previous parts were from k-tec, helpful staff but slow response to emails and expensive shipping

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
They're like £30 for OEM spec ones but you can only buy the full wishbone from the dealer. If it's just temp you could get a cheap one for like £15.

Does it feel very vague and slow?

Oh I see I was thinking of putting my car on a pallet and selling it there [emoji23]

Ah yeah ktec aren't the best. I've only dealt with them a couple of times but it's so expensive and customer service was awful.

01 Clio 172 PH1
nahh..not temp for me..im refreshing the car and planning for a road trip to track the car
had the engine bits done already, need to do the mounts and bushings as well but can't decide on whether i should get the powerflex purple or black engine wishbone bush and torsion beam bush, po did wishbones and front sway bars already

the steering isn't vague or slow but the car sometimes respond to small adjustments on the road.... and its just worrying at 100+ km/h speeds as i don't know how much to turn the wheel before the car will actually start turning...

some cars are worth a fortune in here (eg. e30s, dc2/r) since most of them have been crashed
even the ones that are still around have bent frame rails or welded together as no one has properly equipment to straighten crash damaged cars

do you know other places i can order online without paying vat?

thanks

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
I just meant until you get your cup setup sorted really.

I think it depends what use the cars getting. I've not been in one with black bushes but there's suppose to be a hell of a difference between them and the purple. Purple for fast road and occasional track day I'd say.

Yeah I know what you mean. You want it to be spot on all the time. Needs to be predictable!

No way I might have to start importing a few cars haha.

There's definitely no website I know off where you'll get parts vat exempt. There maybe someone on here who does though.

01 Clio 172 PH1
im only planning to do the cup arms to get more castor....there arent any cup versions or 182s in hong kong

well...my car is 90% midnight spirited drives and 10% commute. hong kong isn't all that big, you can almost reach any place within an hour lol

i was running sti group n mounts for my subbie gc8 and i could live with it.... currently i can't hear any music with windows down already because of the annoying drone from my magnex exhaust and ..i don't mind the vibrations but i dont want it to be too stiff and skip all over the road

actually i did consider importing a bmw e36m from uk since the examples here are horrible and way overpriced

i had a e36 328 and ended up replacing everything except for the body, engine and interior the roads here are like rally tarmac stages and spirited drives on them breaks things even faster... but the body started twisting, the rear doors wouldnt close properly unless i slam them and the engine ate 1L oil per week so i had to get rid of it

ktec does vat exemption for overseas orders but i need to make the order through email:smile: