ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or 172 cup??

looking for a 172/cup
Hi
i am looking at buying a Clio 172 or 172 cup i know some of the differences ie no xenons or abs.

do they both come with leather??
what is the fuel economy or tax like much difference??
i currently have a 1.8 corsa C so the power wont be a problem and driving without abs i have done in my vts so not probs wont be a problem.which would you suggest me to buy???

any help would be great thanks.

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
cup = no leathers & no AC ...but...is quicker than the normal 172

depends what you want? comforts or slightly quicker slightly more track / fast road orientated etc

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
get a cup all day long, then get some nice bucket seats and your on to a winner, you wont regret it, as well as looking nicer they handle alot beter aswell

Black Gold Trophy
I personally would say a regular 172 if you are using it as your daily driver, the comforts of the 172 outweigh the slightly better performance of the cup that you probably wont notice anyway.

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
I just bought a 172 mate. I went for the full fat over the cup as i like the leather and features like climate control.

Can't comment on the handling\performance difference though.

FormulaFord Ecoboost
I hope the OP doesn't mind but I was about to ask a similar question myself, so rather than starting a new thread I hope to ask it here.

I very much fancy a 172 with the intention of it being a second car for the odd trip but mainly as a track car. So, do I buy a Ph1 172 for £1.5k-£2k and then replace brakes, seats, suspension (eventually) or do I spend similar money to get a 172 Cup but then just replace the seats with a view to replace the rest when finances allow?

Would a Ph1 172 with Brembo HC, DS2500, braided hoses, Bilstein B14 Coilovers outperform (on the track) a 172 Cup with just the Brembo HC/DS2500?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Would a Ph1 172 with Brembo HC, DS2500, braided hoses, Bilstein B14 Coilovers outperform (on the track) a 172 Cup with just the Brembo HC/DS2500?
Yes.

The ph1 is a better basis for a track car IMO. Pretty much as light, but cable throttle, 15" wheels, and cheaper.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'd always go for a 172 over a cup, I believe ABS is too useful to give up on a road car.
Bear in mind markcup (driving) is a handy driver.[YOUTUBE]hVL7cqqWg6Y[/YOUTUBE]

Fiesta zetec s
I went for a cup because i think the colour, wheels and spoiler look much better than the normal 172. I've put 182 leather in now and to be honast i never used the aircon in my old car and auto wipers and lights are just lazy. haha. To be honast i'll really glad i went for the cup now, but the real test will come next year on the nurburg ring.

FormulaFord Ecoboost
Thanks, I thought you might say that the Ph1 172 was the way to go... I do prefer the looks of the Ph2 172 Cup and whilst I'd like to think that I could cope without ABS... however it only needs to be a needed once to make it useful!

From more of a maintenance side of things I'm also thinking that the newer Cup 'ought' to be less expensive to maintain over the older Ph1... and less to go wrong... and more stuff to have to strip out, such as A/C, etc.

Hmmm, a quandry!

A Flamin' Red one
If you're after a Cup, I'd recommend this one: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1085505.htm

I'd have the 172 though with the all the goodies for exactly the reasons Jack has said. Unless you're going to be making full use of the Cup's lighter weight or are determined to own a 172 in a 'Cup colour' why bother?

With regard to one being faster than the other, it all boils down to driving skill. Also, if you're 89-90kg heavier than the chap in the 172 next to you, you've not saved any weight!

Black Gold Trophy
I dunno if its me either, but 172 cups seem to be fetching more money than the regular 172s, which is kinda backwards tbh!
I've been a couple 172 cups and I have to say neither of them felt any quicker than my 182.

FormulaFord Ecoboost
If you're after a Cup, I'd recommend this one: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1085505.htm

I'd have the 172 though with the all the goodies for exactly the reasons Jack has said. Unless you're going to be making full use of the Cup's lighter weight or are determined to own a 172 in a 'Cup colour' why bother?

With regard to one being faster than the other, it all boils down to driving skill. Also, if you're 89-90kg heavier than the chap in the 172 next to you, you've not saved any weight!

Looks good, nice find... a little more than I wanted to spend, considering I pretty much need to replace the seats immediately though (too tall for standard seats @ 6ft :(

ITB'd MK1
got to be a ph1 172 for me, then if you want it stripped, just remove what you dont want. Cup only has handling benefits when you compare standard to standard IMO

RS 172 cup
No ABS ftw !

Im on my 4th cup, would never buy a normal 172 and i do 30k a year !

<<< btw before someone gets coocky "it wasnt me" i can drive lol

FormulaFord Ecoboost
Ok, I think that for my budget I'd be looking at the lower end of Cups (£3k) and for that they're not going to be as looked after as that one on Pistonheads. I've seen a couple of Ph1s for £1.5k-£2k (one is a Cat D but that's not really an issue) and that would leave plenty of cash for the intended (some necessary) upgrades.

Just need to find a reasonably well looked after Ph1 for £1.5-£2k now!

172 Cup
As a standard road car, the cups the better drive. But if modifying, has zero benefits other than the colour.

Has those much nicer looking alloys as well and you can change the Aux belt with two spanners while on a coffee break at work for less than a tenner! :p

Shed.
Cup is basic basic basic, ive been in one before and i thought that, as awsome as it was as a drivers car, i couldnt live with it. Rob's 172 (may it rest in peace) was a much nicer car to live with, and he had it sat on sportlines and had a stealth exhaust, was a very fun car, but then he drive the thing very very well.

So its down to you and what you want. Toys and some sort of luxury, or a very raw piece of machinery.

Cup is just a Dynamique with a larger engine in. Not worth the premium they sell for. Normal 172 all day long, is what I'm looking for, just wouldn't feel happy with a 2 litre Dynamique.

MCS R56
Cup is just a Dynamique with a larger engine in. Not worth the premium they sell for. Normal 172 all day long, is what I'm looking for, just wouldn't feel happy with a 2 litre Dynamique.

What a lot of $hit!

You clearly have no clue what the Cup is.

Fiesta zetec s
Totally agree with GAZ44. I think u need to put some research into 172 cup's then re-post.

MCS R56
I know exactly what they are thank you. ;)

Not based on your last comment.

If you are talking about the interior, then yes, the Cup's is basic but the car is not a Dynamique with a 2 litre engine. So, no, it would appear you don't! ;)

Fiesta zetec s
Some reading for you

'The Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup was introduced to the world in 2002 as a lightweight focused version of the 172, shedding some 89kg's due to a number of weight saving tactics. 1000 Cups were snapped up in the first 6 months and less than 2 years later production had ended after more than 2000 Cups were sold in the UK alone; the biggest market in the world for Renaultsport Clio's.

Mondial Blue was the only colour available for the Cup, however for a limited period a small run of 90 cars were made in Iceberg Silver; at this time Air-Conditioning was also made available as a £700 option. The majority of Cups were registered on 52, 03 and 53 plates, although a few survived unregistered long enough to gain 04 plates. The original price for the Cup was £13,200, although this was dropped to £12,995.

Suspension

- Front: Macpherson struts with coil springs, telescopic hydraulic shock absorbers and anti-roll bar
- Rear: Semi-independent, trailing arms linked by a torsion beam

CUP AMENDMENTS
  • Profile 3mm lower
  • Front bumper with additional lower section
  • Enlarged rear spoiler above hatch
  • Greater downforce
  • Revised suspension
  • Higher front spring rates
  • Front track 20mm wider
  • New wheel rim offset
  • Overall weight reduced by 89kg
  • Spare wheel removed (replaced by 2 anti-puncture inflators)
  • Air conditioning removed
  • Side airbags removed
  • Xenon headlamps removed
  • Rear headrests removed
  • Central rear seat belt removed
  • Auto-lights removed
  • Headlight washers removed
  • Heat reflecting windscreen removed
  • Thinner glass used throughout
  • Engine cover removed
  • Leather/alcantera seats replaced with cloth
  • Sound deadening adapted